Basketball/bball recruiting Q&A

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
New to the forum, but I thought I'd make my first post one about basketball.

Top targets IMO:

Jakeenan Gant - Big time recruit, been injured most of summer, I think that we stand a very solid chance at gaining his commitment.
Ahmed Hill - Said to be a package deal with Gant, but I don't see that happening. Ends up elsewhere IMO.
Tadric Jackson - Looks like GT and UGA according to his most recent update. Hoping that BG can seal the deal. Underrated recruit IMO.
Leron Black - BG is still recruiting him (watched him in Orlando yesterday), but lots of high-major programs to compete with. Long shot IMO.
Trayvon Reed - His stock has cooled a bit, and he has to pick up his grades and keep them there.
Jabari Craig - I think that we end up with his commitment. Agile big man with ability to knock down midrange J.
Sean O'Mara - Seems to be a back-up plan, but he is on the radar. Possible visit this summer.

Jaylen Brown - 5 star guard out of Wheeler. He'll be a top 10 player in his class. Lots of positive things to say about GT. Been recruiting him since 8th grade.
Doral Moore - His stock has exploded recently, plays for Winfred Jordan ATL Express. Good connections there, GT has offered and has been following.
Daniel Giddens - 5 star teammate of Brown at Wheeler, long shot IMO.
Noah Dickerson - His stock is taken off after good showing with GA Stars. Space eater with excellent footwork. Gonna be a good one. Hoping we can pick him up.

Thanks a ton!

I respect your insight.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I agree with a lot of what Connell posted.

Gant seems very realistic to me and is a heck of a player...as Connell said Gant and Hill claim they are a package deal. I don't see that happening either though.

I like Jackson as well and don't see why he isn't more talked about...Grant, Craig and Jackson would be a good class.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I know that Wilkins is a UGA legacy, but I don't understand why we never really seemed to recruit him. I think that he is going to be a very good college player, and Justin Young is very high on him. Really wish that we were more of a player for his services. Looks like most of his offers to date have been mid-major type programs with some bigger names recently getting involved.

As for Ahmed Hill, I do not see UNC offerring.. I think that they are going to go all in on Rashad Vaughn. As mentioned in the article, Hill didn't have a very good summer, and I think that he may have played himself out of the UNC offer. Still a good player, but I think that he may have been a bit overrated when in the 20's. Conversely, I'm really scratching my head at the ranking of Tadric Jackson. He had some really good moments this summer and played well on some of the bigger stages, yet his stock (ranking) plummeted as well.

I've personally seen TJ play on many occasions, and I know what to expect there. He is a good all-around player. He's playing on the highest level's of AAU ball since he was in 7th grade and he really understands the game. Sneaky good athlete that can jump out of the gym, he finishes well in traffic, and he also plays D at a high level. I think that he will end up being a better collegiate player than Ahmed Hill. I just hope it is with GT and not the Mutts.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Saw on Twitter and many of the other GT boards where we offered Tory Miller.. I'm not too familiar with him, but after watching some of his highlight clips, he looks to be a diamond in the rough type of guy. Not spectacular at any one thing, but solid in all aspects. The most intriguing thing to me was his ability to be big. If you watch his highlight clip, notice how he seals his man off, and then does a good job of receiving the basketball in a position to make a move. Sure, this seems easy and straightforward, but those are things that are often very hard to teach big men

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I know that Wilkins is a UGA legacy, but I don't understand why we never really seemed to recruit him. I think that he is going to be a very good college player, and Justin Young is very high on him. Really wish that we were more of a player for his services. Looks like most of his offers to date have been mid-major type programs with some bigger names recently getting involved.

As for Ahmed Hill, I do not see UNC offerring.. I think that they are going to go all in on Rashad Vaughn. As mentioned in the article, Hill didn't have a very good summer, and I think that he may have played himself out of the UNC offer. Still a good player, but I think that he may have been a bit overrated when in the 20's. Conversely, I'm really scratching my head at the ranking of Tadric Jackson. He had some really good moments this summer and played well on some of the bigger stages, yet his stock (ranking) plummeted as well.

I've personally seen TJ play on many occasions, and I know what to expect there. He is a good all-around player. He's playing on the highest level's of AAU ball since he was in 7th grade and he really understands the game. Sneaky good athlete that can jump out of the gym, he finishes well in traffic, and he also plays D at a high level. I think that he will end up being a better collegiate player than Ahmed Hill. I just hope it is with GT and not the Mutts.

I've read only good things about Wilkins. I saw him compared favorably to Battier. I wonder if the staff sees Stephens as that type of player for us?

Looks like you're right on Hill. UNC's Scout site says they offered another SG who apparently outplayed Hill this summer. Seems weird that both Hill and Trayvon Reed's stock have plummeted recently after being highly touted last year.

Having seen Jackson play, would you characterize him as an OJ Mayo-type, undersized SG offensively?

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That is an interesting comparison.. It's hard to say as I haven't watched a whole lot of OJ Mayo, but that is probably the best comparison I've seen yet. What I can say is that TJ is at his best in the open court, getting to the basket, and finishing through contact. He is also very adept at getting into the lane and scoring in the half-court. He's a strong kid (ex-QB) that enjoys playing physical.

His perimeter shooting is a little streaky, not the best form which makes it difficult for him to get off contested shots, but when he gets hot, he can really knock them down. The thing that I like most about him is that plays D and he does the small things to help his team win. We cannot let him get away and play for the Dawgs. I'd be heartbroken..LOL...I'm a little biased toward Tadric as he plays for my old school, so I have kept close tabs on him since he was a youngster.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Paging connell62 ...

Now that Wilkins is continuing to blow up, you have any idea if we'll start to show some interest? I know we need bigs but, based on the number of offers he's garnering, this kid almost looks too good to pass up.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Nevermind on Wilkins, he eliminated us:

Shun Williams @OntheRadarHoops

14 F Isaiah Wilkins Greater Atlanta Christian (GA) @IsaiahWilkins21 is down to SMU, Miami, Virginia, Memphis, and Wichita State
7:30 PM - 21 Aug 2013

Also, Reed officially committed to MD.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Rivals has this man coming in for a visit tomorrow.
Elbert Robinson, Garland, TX, 4 stars - 7'0" - 320

Anyone know anything beyond this? Is it true?

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
AND,

Rivals has this man listing GT in his final 4

Obi Enechionyia, PF, Saint James, MD - 6'8" - 220

Anyone with any further details?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The Robinson kid has had a strange recruitment IMHO. With interest from KU, UF, Louisville, etc. he visits TCU and LSU unofficially. Could just be a location thing since he's from TX.

With the top PG Mudiay (sp?) landing at SMU (over UK?, $eems strange), I'd look for Robinson to land there after taking visits. Larry Brown's history suggests he'll do what it takes to land top prospects.

The Enechionyia kid had a teammate commit to UM so they're likely to leader in the clubhouse. I think we have a good shot if he visits and realizes we have PT and a strong squad that he'd fit well on.

All JMHO, especially the stuff on SMU (can you tell I think there's smoke there?).