Basketball/bball recruiting Q&A

pauley_GT

Georgia Tech Fan
Do you think the losses of Reed and Royal will help with recruiting and the basketball program in general?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I don't think it will help much with Reed..he would have been a Senior next year and could have had some impact off the bench.

Royal will open up a spot for the future and it really is better for both sides as Royal will be a better fit at George Mason.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
What other players is Tech going after and what are the chances Tech would land them?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I make no bones in stating I don't care much for CBG, and I haven't witnessed anything from his teams that show me he's anything more than mediocre, however, consecutive successful campaigns and my opinion can change. With that said what is the offensive system that he is attempting to implement? I find the current offense to be slow, grinding, and HORRIFIC to watch. Is that a function of the talent he has on the team or is that just simply his system?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
For 2014

Ahmed Hill
Jabari Craigh
Elbert Robinson
Jabari Craig
Tadric Jackson
Laron Black
Trayvon Reed

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Any read on Hill? I considered him an eventual lock for Uconn, but they've gotten another wing commit and have Purvis transferring from NCSt. Might we be able to swoop in and land a blue chipper?

Jn4heisman

Jolly Good Fellow
For 2014

Ahmed Hill
Jabari Craigh
Elbert Robinson
Jabari Craig
Tadric Jackson
Laron Black
Trayvon Reed

I don't know all of these players but some have really cool names!

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Kmag said:
Who do you think would be the best fit here Eric? And who do you think we land?

Cofer is a huge target and need in the next class...I think GT has a great shot.

Reed needs some work with grades... if he keeps it up GT could be a factor with him.

Craig likes GT as well.

Its still early on.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
kg01 said:
Any read on Hill? I considered him an eventual lock for Uconn, but they've gotten another wing commit and have Purvis transferring from NCSt. Might we be able to swoop in and land a blue chipper?

He's not totally unrealistic.

Will be a uphill battle though.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Per twitter, we're in Gant's final 6:

Coast 2 Coast Hoops @Coast2CoastHoop
2014 Southern Stampede (GA) forward Jakeenan Gant lists Alabama, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Florida State, NC State and UConn.7:17 AM - 17 May 2013

Good news since Cofer seems to be leaning to TN if you believe the interweb rumors.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
New to the forum, but I thought I'd make my first post one about basketball.

Top targets IMO:

Jakeenan Gant - Big time recruit, been injured most of summer, I think that we stand a very solid chance at gaining his commitment.
Ahmed Hill - Said to be a package deal with Gant, but I don't see that happening. Ends up elsewhere IMO.
Tadric Jackson - Looks like GT and UGA according to his most recent update. Hoping that BG can seal the deal. Underrated recruit IMO.
Leron Black - BG is still recruiting him (watched him in Orlando yesterday), but lots of high-major programs to compete with. Long shot IMO.
Trayvon Reed - His stock has cooled a bit, and he has to pick up his grades and keep them there.
Jabari Craig - I think that we end up with his commitment. Agile big man with ability to knock down midrange J.
Sean O'Mara - Seems to be a back-up plan, but he is on the radar. Possible visit this summer.

Jaylen Brown - 5 star guard out of Wheeler. He'll be a top 10 player in his class. Lots of positive things to say about GT. Been recruiting him since 8th grade.
Doral Moore - His stock has exploded recently, plays for Winfred Jordan ATL Express. Good connections there, GT has offered and has been following.
Daniel Giddens - 5 star teammate of Brown at Wheeler, long shot IMO.
Noah Dickerson - His stock is taken off after good showing with GA Stars. Space eater with excellent footwork. Gonna be a good one. Hoping we can pick him up.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Good to see you join connell62. Thanks for the updates. They are much appreciated.

Here's a link to a site that usually has some good info especially on local (Atlanta-area) HS hoops action.

http://www.hoopseen.com/index.php/component/k2/item/518-emptying-the-orlando-notepad

The guy's update discusses Moore ('15), Gant and A. Hill a bit.

THE CLIMB CONTINUES

Speaking of Doral Moore...
The big fella played a half of basketball that could go down as the best of the summer for any big man in the South. Paired against top 10 big national big man Skal Labissiere of the Arkansas Wings, Moore looked like the better player here and down the road.
The 7-footer from Luella had total control of the game on both sides of the floor. He limited the eventual champs to a perimeter game. That's saying something because the Wings are as good of a team in the country when it comes to attacking the basket. Labissiere couldn't grab a rebound, block a shot or knock down his trademark jumper.
Moore had total control in every aspect of the half. The Xpress would eventually lose the playoff game but the showing was telling for Moore and a great cap to a great summer.

We toyed with the idea of moving Isaiah Wilkins to the top overall spot in Georgia's 2014 class. Not gonna happen though. Southern Stampede big manJakeenan Gant reminded us why he's at the top. He is making the move back to his pre-injury self.
His teammate Ahmed Hill, however, won't hold the No. 2 overall spot in the next rankings update. The Augusta guard really struggled in July.

Maybe Hill will drop out of contention for the blue blood offers and end up on the Flats?