Baseball Pre-Season Practice

65Jacket

GT Athlete
If anyone has a report on practice, please post an update. I am really excited to see who is looking good, who will be new to the starting lineup, and especially how are the pitchers coming along. I hope the baseball team will give us something to be really excited about throughout the season.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have heard there's about 3-6 guys dealing with some injuries. Don't think anything is serious, but just nagging things. Other than that, haven't heard a lot. Think they've been out there for a couple of weeks now.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Scrimmage today and Sunday @ 1430 @ Rusty C.

I bought a book this week: Tech's Luck. All about Jim Luck (HC 62-81) Started and seems ok, I may post a review later.

I need some Beesball.

Note that Hall is clearly our best coach in terms of winning % or # of wins. Hope he increases his win % this year! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Tech_Yellow_Jackets_baseball

Last edited:

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have heard there's about 3-6 guys dealing with some injuries. Don't think anything is serious, but just nagging things. Other than that, haven't heard a lot. Think they've been out there for a couple of weeks now.
Correction to my last post--yesterday was their first day on the field for team practice. They've been conditioning and having individual workouts up to yesterday.

GTChris

Georgia Tech Fan
I stopped by for a little while on Saturday. All of the players seemed to be excited about the upcoming season. The coaches moved around the infield quite a bit to try out different players at the corners. No huge plays but no major errors either (at least that I saw while I was there). I do know one thing: it felt darn good to be back in the Rusty C!

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
How did the scrimages go this week end? Anyone know anything?

I've heard great things on Fr. Tristin English as a hitter. Believe he still hasn't pitched any, but word is he may be the starting 1B. Early talk is that Patrick Wiseman, Jonathan Hughes, and Keyton Gibson are vying for the 3rd weekend starter spot. Fr. Brandt Stallings was hit on the elbow with a fastball this weekend and may be held out for a few days, but heard he's been hitting well. Excited about this year!! Go Jackets!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
What I am MOST curious about is the pitching. Ken Sugiura had an article today about the Jackets baseball team, but other than noting Jonathon Hughes as a new face on campus, and noting that Cole Pitts is apparently thrown the best he has veer thrown in his career.... little was said about pitching this year. Maybe just too early to tell anything yet.

Can't wait for the season to begin. I have a feeling about this year's team. Just a feeling that we will get some redemption after a crummy year overall in GT athletics.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
I stopped by for a little while on Saturday. All of the players seemed to be excited about the upcoming season. The coaches moved around the infield quite a bit to try out different players at the corners. No huge plays but no major errors either (at least that I saw while I was there). I do know one thing: it felt darn good to be back in the Rusty C!

I've heard great things on Fr. Tristin English as a hitter. Believe he still hasn't pitched any, but word is he may be the starting 1B. Early talk is that Patrick Wiseman, Jonathan Hughes, and Keyton Gibson are vying for the 3rd weekend starter spot. Fr. Brandt Stallings was hit on the elbow with a fastball this weekend and may be held out for a few days, but heard he's been hitting well. Excited about this year!! Go Jackets!

Thanks guys !

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Fr pitcher starting at first base? Must be a great hitter to even be considered.(y)

You aren't the only one who is excited about this year ans the next few. I really think we are going to be better this year (easily make the NCAAs) and even better next year. I'll find a way to Omaha if we make it!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think baseball is really the only program that GT can recruit at a national level in anymore. We can't interest any blue clippers in basketball and our recruiting in football hasn't been very impressive for at least a decade (arguably a lot longer). But in baseball, we've still got "it".

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think baseball is really the only program that GT can recruit at a national level in anymore. We can't interest any blue clippers in basketball and our recruiting in football hasn't been very impressive for at least a decade (arguably a lot longer). But in baseball, we've still got "it".

I agree we still have "it" by the top 10 recruiting classes we are capable of bringing in. That is very very unlikely in football and absurd for basketball.

I think we get these classes by having the best baseball program in Georgia and getting the best recruits in the State. Out of state we get blue chips; Travis Entrop, Jonathan King and Zac Ryan are the only out of state players on our current roster of 39 (<10%).

As for recruits, our 2016 class of 12 has two, Chase Murray and Jay Wilson. Chase is a top 200 Perfect Game rated players, so probably 75% likely t0 come to GT after the draft this summer.

Thanks for posting, nice break from thinking about basketball and football. Tonight, I'll try to post about all of our top PG 300 recruits. A lot of Georgia studs and I'll see which school in Georgia has best recruits coming up ...... (but the better they are the less likely to come to any college).

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Why is Tristen English not pitching? I thought he and Hughes were the two stud pitchers we had coming in.Can't he DH as well as pitch? Is #25 playing the outfield as opposed to DHing this year?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Why is Tristen English not pitching? I thought he and Hughes were the two stud pitchers we had coming in.Can't he DH as well as pitch? Is #25 playing the outfield as opposed to DHing this year?

I have no inside info, but ......... He can pitch and play first base to use his bat. Just like Brandon Gold does at 3B and P. Just not in the same game.

Maybe English is good enough to be in the starting rotation as a Fr. But I think for Top 50 teams, that only happens for a couple of Fr every year. Hope he is that good. But I would expect him to get eased in since that is Hall's MO. And it makes sense because pitching seems to be largely mental. http://www.baseballmentalgame.com/f...ticles/the-mental-game-of-pitching-and-trust/

I have no doubt Hall will start the best 4 pitchers (3 weekend and one mid week) this year. Last year was a cluster .... but it's a new year.