Baseball Financing

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Very good article that is heavy on facts. Recruiting in your home state makes sense as the tuition is much less when giving out partial scholarships.

The tuition debt problem is the general one which has over $1,200,000,000,000 (yes the number of zeros is correct @$1.2T). Baseball is just a minor example. And the laws make it next to impossible to default on student loans. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/americas-growing-student-loan-debt-crisis-2016-01-15

What kid with a lot of tuition debt can really turn down a $100K as a Jr and then also get the completion of his degree paid for later? I wish it weren't that way but IIWII. The quality of college baseball may suffer. But the players who are in college baseball are largely playing for the love of the sport because the economics doesn't make sense on average. And to me, that is an appeal to college baseball.

And I'm still really glad that Coastal won it all. Underdog beats all the moneyed programs with all the advantages!! (Except us of course, we obviously are the #1 team since we swept Coastal (tic).)

Being a private university with lots of money probably helps. I was looking at the top recruiting classes and Vanderbilt (private university) caught my eye with number and quality of recruits. I would think they must help out a lot with "academic" and "need" scholarships independent of baseball. That would help explain:
  • 4 years ending 2016 having 50 recruits
  • 4 years ending 2015 having 54 recruits
  • 2017 verbal commits of 18 (4 in the top 100 so a few won't show)
  • 2018 verbal commits of 20 (11 in the top 100 so many won't show)
While Vandy is the exception, I think the idea that we'll go to a "semi-pro" league of 64-75 teams with additional scholarships allowed is possible.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's something else on Baseball Financing. I don't follow the MLB and this type story makes me less likely to do so. The MLB is a business, like most businesses today, is all about money and not about the people. That is fine if your life is about money and not about humanity.

http://cdn.globalimageserver.com/fetchDocument.aspx?id=1bcb55e3-7566-4c16-836d-87ff8c61c0dc

"In May, MLB officials went to the Dominican Republic and questioned players as young as 16 individually without their parents or any representation present. According to multiple sources, MLB officials threatened to suspend the players if they did not cooperate with their investigation, and some players broke down in tears. MLB officials denied any threats took place. During those meetings, however, MLB informed players that they have an obligation to be truthful or else they could be subject to disciplinary action, including a fine or suspension, and told the players to give them their banking information and said they were going to go through their bank accounts. MLB did not confirm or deny that when asked.
Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/inte...-international-penalties/#V1GzICh4ybgHp4ai.99
"

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Here's something else on Baseball Financing. I don't follow the MLB and this type story makes me less likely to do so. The MLB is a business, like most businesses today, is all about money and not about the people. That is fine if your life is about money and not about humanity.

http://cdn.globalimageserver.com/fetchDocument.aspx?id=1bcb55e3-7566-4c16-836d-87ff8c61c0dc

"In May, MLB officials went to the Dominican Republic and questioned players as young as 16 individually without their parents or any representation present. According to multiple sources, MLB officials threatened to suspend the players if they did not cooperate with their investigation, and some players broke down in tears. MLB officials denied any threats took place. During those meetings, however, MLB informed players that they have an obligation to be truthful or else they could be subject to disciplinary action, including a fine or suspension, and told the players to give them their banking information and said they were going to go through their bank accounts. MLB did not confirm or deny that when asked.
Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/inte...-international-penalties/#V1GzICh4ybgHp4ai.99
"
I'm glad to hear someone else who doesn't follow MLB. I quit with the players strike and just have never had any interest to speak of since then. Up until then, I had grown up with the Atlanta Crackers as a kid, and then the Braves. I tried to get interested again when Texiera was with the Braves, but just could not get into it. I am the same way about the NFL and NBA. I would not watch a game if it was in my front yard.
But on the other hand, I follow all the GT football and baseball games. Basketbell was once my second favorite GT sport, but the one and dones have really curtailed my interest, although I will occasionally attend a game.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I'm glad to hear someone else who doesn't follow MLB. I quit with the players strike and just have never had any interest to speak of since then. Up until then, I had grown up with the Atlanta Crackers as a kid, and then the Braves. I tried to get interested again when Texiera was with the Braves, but just could not get into it. I am the same way about the NFL and NBA. I would not watch a game if it was in my front yard.
But on the other hand, I follow all the GT football and baseball games. Basketbell was once my second favorite GT sport, but the one and dones have really curtailed my interest, although I will occasionally attend a game.

You and me both! The closer the college game gets ot the pro version (via the semipro stuff like paying the athletes etc) the less interested I am. I think that's why college baseball is now perhaps my favorite college sport (albeit it has the huge drawback...or advantage...of being impossible to predict for any given game). College football is drifting closer and closer to semipro status, and college basketball, with all the transfers every year and the one-and-dones, is there already, imho.