Bamer staffing woes

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes... I done become a lurker.

Everyone's jumping ship, the fans are concerned... but I guess it comes with the territory when you're top in the country. Staff gets a huge bump in their resume just for being there and when the greener pastures comes calling, babai!

https://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303869&page=46

We'd never have a thread like this.

tidefan39817
Re: 2018-19 Coaching Carousel

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by crimsonaudio
Not upset about Key. The fact that is basically a lateral move makes me think CNS encouraged this.​
At this point Ga. Tech is not lateral. It's a downward move IMHO. And I agree with others when they say coach may not be done...​

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes it's fun to revel in others' misery. I do think a same position/same salary is a downward move from Alabama to here. We don't know the salary of Key and what Bama may have offered to keep him. He's got more titles here. Don't know if that realistically means the position itself is a significant upgrade or more fluff.

Regardless, there's enough to speculate that it's too much of a lateral move to think it was motivated by career. So he either wants to be here more or they want him there less. I've not seen anything since this announcement that suggests Key could be unwanted at Bama. He's a Tech guy and knows CGC well. I think he simply wants to be here and that says a lot of good about the current state of the program.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I see it as a two edged sword.
Coaches go there so they can be from the Saban tree, and move on to bigger things.
I can see him being an S@B to work for.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
There are too many unknowns with the Key deal to say it’s a lateral or a downgrade for him. If he was solely our OL coach then sure. But he is our assistant HC, run game coordinator, he could and is probably making more money. And he gets a chance to prove himself at his alma mater. Seems like a upward trend that would make him happy.

Deleted member 2897

Don't know why anybody thinks its a downward move - he's likely being paid more, has more responsibilities, has a higher title, and he's going back to his Alma Mater. I mean, maybe it makes you feel better to say that, but that's the whole draw of Alabama - cut your teeth, then move up in the world.

Connor

Georgia Tech Fan
Depending on what's most valuable in his life, living with his family in Atlanta vs. Tuscaloosa could be more valuable than continuing a role at the top program in the nation.

Has every decision you've made been solely career based, or have some decisions been based on what you want? There's nothing wrong about a similar/lower salary for personal satisfaction.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
The Dan Enos to Miami as OC is surprising since he was supposedly to be Bama's next OC. That after Locksley (OC to Maryland HC), Gattis (Co-OC to Michigan OC), and Key (OL to our OL/AHC) I'm sure their fans are starting to panick a bit.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
The Dan Enos to Miami as OC is surprising since he was supposedly to be Bama's next OC. That after Locksley (OC to Maryland HC), Gattis (Co-OC to Michigan OC), and Key (OL to our OL/AHC) I'm sure their fans are starting to panick a bit.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"
"Panick"....I see what you did there..

crut

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes it's fun to revel in others' misery. I do think a same position/same salary is a downward move from Alabama to here. We don't know the salary of Key and what Bama may have offered to keep him. He's got more titles here. Don't know if that realistically means the position itself is a significant upgrade or more fluff.

Regardless, there's enough to speculate that it's too much of a lateral move to think it was motivated by career. So he either wants to be here more or they want him there less. I've not seen anything since this announcement that suggests Key could be unwanted at Bama. He's a Tech guy and knows CGC well. I think he simply wants to be here and that says a lot of good about the current state of the program.

His salary will be ~$650,000 a year which comes with the added responsibilities of Associate HC and Run Game Coordinator.

So he will be making $160,000 more than at Bama (salary was $490,000 this year).

There's also the benefit of moving home and being in Atlanta vs. Tuscaloosa that provides added value.

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow

Key Bamer supporter last night said losing Key “that one hurts”.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Is bama really maybe starting to fall apart or is this being blown out of proportion because Clemson won and the commentators mentioned continuity?

Bama having high turnover rates is nothing new and they’re always in the playoff games regardless of who’s on staff.

Animal02

Banned
Don't know why anybody thinks its a downward move - he's likely being paid more, has more responsibilities, has a higher title, and he's going back to his Alma Mater. I mean, maybe it makes you feel better to say that, but that's the whole draw of Alabama - cut your teeth, then move up in the world.
Even if it is a slight downward move.....so what. I made those in the past.....because I hated who I was working for or because further upward growth was a dead end.