Bally?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The “father of capitalism” clearly thought that was anti-capitalist. But then he had higher expectations for how markets are supposed to work than we do today. 😞
I;'m not sure about that. I think rather that Smith thought this was an inevitable consequence of widespread adoption of markets. This is one reason why he had no particular qualms about governments stepping in to keep hangs straight. Wealth of Nations is largely taken up with what the government needs to do - and not do - to keep markets functioning. Smith has all kinds of advice about that. My favorite = the way the Scots selected judges. The lawyers i9n a circuit were allowed to make the choice. As Smith says, that means the most qualified lawyers got on th3e bench. Why? The other lawyers tapped them to eliminate them from competition.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I;'m not sure about that. I think rather that Smith thought this was an inevitable consequence of widespread adoption of markets. This is one reason why he had no particular qualms about governments stepping in to keep hangs straight. Wealth of Nations is largely taken up with what the government needs to do - and not do - to keep markets functioning. Smith has all kinds of advice about that. My favorite = the way the Scots selected judges. The lawyers i9n a circuit were allowed to make the choice. As Smith says, that means the most qualified lawyers got on th3e bench. Why? The other lawyers tapped them to eliminate them from competition.
Agree.

But “buyer beware” was not a Smith principle if by that you mean subterfuge and impenetrability in the market is acceptable. He thought the buyer should be able to know as much about the product as the seller.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Agree.

But “buyer beware” was not a Smith principle if by that you mean subterfuge and impenetrability in the market is acceptable. He thought the buyer should be able to know as much about the product as the seller.
The only example of a classic market I've ever run into was the municipal market in Barcelona. It was divided into sections of equally sized stalls specializing in particular foods: one section for cheese, one of fruit, one for vegetables, and so on. Each of the vendors had pretty much the same products; the local folks came in each day and shopped with the vendors who had what they wanted. That meant that the consumers set the product lines and a maximum price. My wife and I were shopping for some cheese and stopped at a stand selling Gouda (real Gouda) for €2 a pound. We were about to but when the dealer across the way said, "!.90." We looked at our original guy and he said, 1.85." I looked at the other vendor and he said, "1.80." I looked back at the other guy and he held up his hands. So we bought from the other vendor.

Sounds great, doesn't it? Just like in the textbooks. Until you learned that the entire space was subsided to the hilt by the city, that getting a stall was highly selective, that the food - and the flowers, of course - were subject to very strict regulations, and that the inspectors were a terror to all the vendors. It was a functioning classic market and a government supported potted plant. I think that's the only way they can emerge and survive in advanced capitalist economies. Really good cheese, btw.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I have YouTube tv which gives access to watch ESPN and then surfshark VPN and there are plenty of others that work well. I purchased 2 years and 3 months of coverage for like $40 so I'm at less than $2 per month. There is a VPN app for the TV which makes it super easy to switch location to California or something then I can use the ESPN app to watch anything Bally would show. I used to try to find bootleg sites and hook up my laptop to the TV with usually less than perfect results. I'm happy with my decision for football, basketball, and then the odd braves game that gets blacked out.

The VPN doesn't work on YouTube tv though, for that you have to jump on a laptop

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Let me rephrase that. I have Hulu+ in Chicago. I get to see EVERY game. So, whatever station it's on Bally, it comes through Hulu+ in Chicago.
Correct. If you do not live in Georgia, I think you can get pretty much all Tech games on Bally Sports on ESPN+. However, those games are all blacked out in Georgia, so you would have to use a VPN. Didn't realize Bally finally offered a stand-alone subscription without a cable login. Seems pretty recent and ... crazy expensive. $19.99 per month!? That is almost double the monthly bundle price for ESPN+/Hulu/Disney. VPN would definitely be way cheaper. Super glad that Atlanta United/MLS finally got away from Bally. Now just need Tech to do so as well.

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
How can y’all even have a civil conversation about Bally sports without cursing and blowing a gasket. F that 4th string network and all the games that we get broadcasted on there.

We’ll have at least 4 games on there next year. Can’t wait until that contract is up.
Do we know when the contract is up? It is so frustrating that I can watch division 2 games on ESPN + but not GT.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Do we know when the contract is up? It is so frustrating that I can watch division 2 games on ESPN + but not GT.
Yeah I think we have another 2 years at least. Yay.

It also adds salt in the wound when they announce the upcoming game will be on espn2 early in the week, then the day before or day of it’s actually on Bally. Super cool lol

If key has any staff budget money left over, he should donate it to end the Bally contract lol