baffling Oline still struggling

stevo0718

Georgia Tech Fan
I saw in the FSU game you can see our guards getting grabbed and turned by the DT as the are running towards the Mike. I thought I just had maybe never noticed it, but it seemed extremely effective at screwing us up.

The thing that drives me nuts is when seemingly half the line is totally confused at what the play is. A couples times a game you will see 4 guys pass blocking and 1 guy run blocking or just standing their after the DL blew by him. Either the system is too complicated for these guys (doubtful) or the coaches aren't preparing these guys to know what to do.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The thing that drives me nuts is when seemingly half the line is totally confused at what the play is. A couples times a game you will see 4 guys pass blocking and 1 guy run blocking or just standing their after the DL blew by him. Either the system is too complicated for these guys (doubtful) or the coaches aren't preparing these guys to know what to do.

I think this may be due to the recent change in signaling plays instead of running them in. It wasn't only the OL that was confused; JT looked puzzled at times too. I get why we're doing it: we're down to a four back rotation at AB, by slowing down the pace of the plays we make it harder for the other side to do any funny stuff with shifts, and we prolong ToP. Still, I think this is leading to confusion about play calling. I might also add that I'm betting that other teams are reading our signals. Several here have mentioned that our opponents seem to be able to sense when we are going to throw the ball. Part of that is down/distance, of course, but I bet they're horning in on our signals too. Me for going back to the AB shuttle.

lastoption

Georgia Tech Fan
Sorry if addressed before but can someone tell me if the play side tackle has any option as to whether to release inside or outside depending on how the d-line is aligned? Or is this release hard wired into the overall blocking scheme?

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Sorry if addressed before but can someone tell me if the play side tackle has any option as to whether to release inside or outside depending on how the d-line is aligned? Or is this release hard wired into the overall blocking scheme?

As I recall, they have the ability to choose which release is best.