Backup QB 4th quarter spring game Midline/3TO

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is B Swilling at QB / D Wilson at BB running with the ones offense against the ones defense.

Check out the motor on PJ Davis... he never stops on a play!

Should be finished uploading soon if not showing....

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
This is actually veer, and it looks like a it was read. The DE shoved the OT down to disrupt his release to the 2nd level and to squeeze the B backs's path. Brady Swilling did a great job on this play.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I was impressed with Swilling in the game. Then I looked at his high school stats.

It looks like he's another Byerly: a really talented QB with lights-out senior stats that nobody could see as a Div 1 QB. Except, of course, us. I look forward to seeing a competition in a year or so between him and Jordan. Should be interesting.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The defense as a whole looked terrible on the play. PJ overplayed and caused Golden to have to play the pitch and then I have no words for how bad Isiah was.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
This is actually veer, and it looks like a it was read. The DE shoved the OT down to disrupt his release to the 2nd level and to squeeze the B backs's path. Brady Swilling did a great job on this play.

The fake with Wilson was very good, fooling the DL and MLB, and then Swilling did a good job initially of hiding the ball and stepping by Davis. The fake to Wilson and the OL blocking collapsed the middle of the D. I Johnson was not fooled but missed a tackle he should have made. Davis overplayed but hustled to stop another 20 yards or maybe even a TD. Swilling looked good in the mud. He, like Byerly, showed some tough. Would like to see more of him on a dry field with a bigger aray of plays.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Davis kept coming after the original miss and saved a td. Most guys give up on the play after the first part, really impressed with him on that one. Not sure he overplayed on the blitz, it just looked like he took an outside path and Brady took the inside lane. Davis actually steered him right into IJ who whiffed the tackle.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I’m certainly not putting Davis down and I like how he never gave up on the play but I definitely don’t think “steering” him into IJ who is 15 yards downfield is a positive thing. There is no reason he should’ve taken that outside step to go around Bostic. He should’ve gone inside or at the very least realize that it was BJ Bostic trying to block him and just ran him over like any other DE in the conference would.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I’m certainly not putting Davis down and I like how he never gave up on the play but I definitely don’t think “steering” him into IJ who is 15 yards downfield is a positive thing. There is no reason he should’ve taken that outside step to go around Bostic. He should’ve gone inside or at the very least realize that it was BJ Bostic trying to block him and just ran him over like any other DE in the conference would.
Harsh, dude, harsh. (but true)

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer

I think Davis was trying to disrupt the pitch. In HS we played the option very much that way. The idea is to make the QB beat you by keeping the ball. The HBs were usually burners, and you could rattle a lot of QBs by making them take a few shots. Soon enough they would not look the pitch in, and the ball would be on the ground. Or they would give when they should keep because they do not want to get hit. Swilling did exactly what he should have done.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
LONGESTDAY: re: Check out the motor on PJ Davis... he never stops on a play -

Notice that he was free to turn and pursue because BJ whiffed on the block. He made a similar poor block in the other video (Byerly's midline). We leave a lot of yards on the field when players don`t execute.

tugdog235

Georgia Tech Fan
Just playing hypotheticals here, usually the PSAB should be blocking the inside LB against a traditional 4-3 right? Assuming the OLB is the pitch key. Should Bostic have still gone after Davis still if Davis is essentially the OLB?

I'm new to learned option blocking assignments so feel free to tell me I'm wrong. It definitely looked odd that not only did Bostic whiff, he actually jumps out of the way, but then gets his hands up to "block" Golden coming in from the back field.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
LONGESTDAY: re: Check out the motor on PJ Davis... he never stops on a play -

Notice that he was free to turn and pursue because BJ whiffed on the block. He made a similar poor block in the other video (Byerly's midline). We leave a lot of yards on the field when players don`t execute.
Bostic wasn't trying to block Davis. Bostic was after Golden from the get-go and actually stayed with him pretty well, not letting him end up being in on the play.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Just playing hypotheticals here, usually the PSAB should be blocking the inside LB against a traditional 4-3 right? Assuming the OLB is the pitch key. Should Bostic have still gone after Davis still if Davis is essentially the OLB?

I'm new to learned option blocking assignments so feel free to tell me I'm wrong. It definitely looked odd that not only did Bostic whiff, he actually jumps out of the way, but then gets his hands up to "block" Golden coming in from the back field.

No Bostic did right. It's up to the qb to adjust to the pitch key walked up on the LOS. Also the the OT is responsible for the MLB in a 4-3. The play side A back has the safety, although you will see him switch with the WR and take the corner at times.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow

PSAB gets #3 on an option. numbering starts 4i and out. Midline is different. That play was a regular triple. His job was the safety which he did an ok job blocking. Davis was the pitch key(#2) and that was why he was unblocked. The dive key was I think number 99, the man standing up just inside Davis on the line, he was number one. The numbering of #3 can vary greatly on how deep the safties and corners line up as to who is the greater threat.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I thought Bostic was the pitch back.

AB in motion McNearney was the pitch guy. WR was blocking on the CB. Golden sprinted up and to the outside to take the pitch guy McNearney. Bostic stepped around the blitzing Davis to go after Golden who by then was too wide to attack the QB. Bostic is roaming around but never gets in position to deliver a lick, although he did do some shielding late in the play. Bostic's block would have been critical on Golden if there had been a pitch.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Notice that early in the play Golden and Davis are about equal distance from Swilling...in pursuit. Davis never gives up and eventually runs Swilling down. Golden gives up when he thinks I Johnson is making the tackle. Bostic catches up and shields Golden who is never a factor on the play. On this play great effort by Davis on D and IMO pooooor safety play by both Johnson and Golden.