Back to back Good Games by the D

Jmonty71

Banned
For this first time in a while Tech puts together very good defensive efforts! Very excited to see the progress and expect it to continue!
I agree. I have not liked the play calling, CTR and/or the overall D, for the last few years. I saw gaps after gaps that were not looked at. I was very vocal about his lack of aggression. I was not a CTR fan, at all. However; it seems like somewhere, he learned how to coach, during the off season. We are aggressive. We are playing better on the D line. The DB's are doing well. While, I still see areas that need improvement, that list is far less than before. My only concern is the LB play. I did not see the UNC game, due to commitments. But, I am very pleased to see us yield only 7 points. Now, was it the D or was it the fact UNC was playing 2nd and 3rd stringers? I think Thug U will measure the D, really well. However; I do feel that we will not give up 40+ points again, this year. Go Jackets!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, I get the feeling that we are doing something different with our DL. I hope @Ibeeballin, or someone else who knows more than I, can clarify.

It seems to me that we had been focused on controlling gaps with our DL, but now we're focused on penetrating gaps. Sometimes we do it with stunts, and sometimes by just attacking.

Again, this is just my impression rather than a studied opinion.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
We are benefitting from poor O-line play leading to zero rushing. With that said, our guys are playing with super effort. The next opponent is a big jump upwards in talent, so we will see.

My guess is we will need to have a spotless game on O to beat the Coral Gables Correctional Institute.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
But, I am very pleased to see us yield only 7 points. Now, was it the D or was it the fact UNC was playing 2nd and 3rd stringers? I think Thug U will measure the D, really well. However; I do feel that we will not give up 40+ points again, this year. Go Jackets!

I do not believe either Pitt or UNC are that good offensively. WTBS, how many in times in the past have we made these type of teams look like the NE Patriots. Even as recently as game 1, we allowed a very mediocre UT team to look better than they really are.
In years past, we would have lost a game like this where our offense wasn't firing on all cylinders. Kudos to CTR and the players.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="4shotB, post: 347986, member: 844] WTBS, how many in times in the past have we made these type of teams look like the NE Patriots. [/QUOTE]
This. For years, we have bitched and moaned about how we wish we could just have an average defense. I think we have an average defense.

We have a defense that makes bad offenses look bad. They're probably not going to shut down good offenses, but they might slow them down a little bit.

It's a little bit frustrating that Georgia Tech finally gets a mediocre defense in the same season that they have the toughest schedule I've ever seen them have, but in years past even if the offense was good enough to score all the time we still lost to UNC and Pitt because we couldn't slow them down.

Eight wins against the schedule while having one rained out would be a massive accomplishment, and it looks like for the first time that I can remember Georgia Tech's defense might actually contribute to the effort.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
FWIW, I get the feeling that we are doing something different with our DL. I hope @Ibeeballin, or someone else who knows more than I, can clarify.

It seems to me that we had been focused on controlling gaps with our DL, but now we're focused on penetrating gaps. Sometimes we do it with stunts, and sometimes by just attacking.

Again, this is just my impression rather than a studied opinion.

I don’t think it’s anything different scheme wise. Just guys in better position, better effort and actually tackling folks

Last edited:

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
To answer the question concerning where we stand with defensive talant today compared with the past few years, look no further than K. Freeman. The young man started as a true freshman on our front at 6'1" 220 and played nearly every snap. As a senior, he is 6'2" 250 and in a three man rotation and could be the third best DE.