Conference Realignment

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
If I was in a conference looking to expand, I would vote no unless my team was guaranteed more money. Same pie, more slices? No thanks.
I expect that is what will happen, seems like i saw something with the media and Big 10 negotiations where the media and big 10 sort of left it open ended in some sort of way in order for future expansion to take place.
I've been somewhat of a student of what is going on with the media and their future and it is appearing their role in our society is going to substantially change and they know it if I'm seeing it right, therefore IMO they are going to need content and content that is looked upon favorably by the people. I see college athletics playing a major role year round in their content. I could be wrong, we'll see going forward.

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Hello all. Not an expert to be sure but the athletic programs within the B1G are on their own...and similar for the research side of each institution...there is no "mixing" of monies.

As for AAU, have to acknowledge that Nebraska was added to the B1G after it lost its AAU status. Although arguably the B1G takes pride on membership in that club, as should GT and any institution that is member, the other school out there that is in the B1G expansion talk is Notre Dame...another non-AAU institution.

At least Nebraska set the pattern for admitting a non-AAU institution but like all of this...it's about the $$$...whether from TV, streaming, or federal and state grants to the parent institution.

As Cyndi Lauper very astutely notes...

Hope all is otherwise well in GT land... Billd.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
The President of Ohio State said that the connection that "the Gopher" is referring to if i heard her right is that they share their research projects among other Big 10 schools, don't think she ever said anything about research $ going to sports. Her beginning words were the Big 10 is much more than an athletic conference and then went on to talk about the sharing and working together on research amongst the various Big schools. Maybe she does not know what she is talking about, who knows.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
Hello all. Not an expert to be sure but the athletic programs within the B1G are on their own...and similar for the research side of each institution...there is no "mixing" of monies.

As for AAU, have to acknowledge that Nebraska was added to the B1G after it lost its AAU status. Although arguably the B1G takes pride on membership in that club, as should GT and any institution that is member, the other school out there that is in the B1G expansion talk is Notre Dame...another non-AAU institution.

At least Nebraska set the pattern for admitting a non-AAU institution but like all of this...it's about the $$$...whether from TV, streaming, or federal and state grants to the parent institution.

As Cyndi Lauper very astutely notes...

Hope all is otherwise well in GT land... Billd.

I understood that they lost AAU status AFTER they joined the B1G. Someone clarify.

gtjackets930

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think that the Big10 would do this, but:

The estimates that I saw for UCLA joining the Big10 said that the Big10 network price change in LA went from 10 cents per subscriber to $1.50 per subscriber. The Atlanta media market is at about 2.7 million households. Rough numbers projecting to the entire state that would be 4-4.5 million TV subscription households in the state. If the Big10 network is able to increase by $1.4 per subscriber per month, that would be $67 to $75 million additional gross revenue without even broadcasting a single game from Atlanta. (I don't know how a home market area is defined in the distribution contracts, so it might not count if home games are not broadcast. But it might just be a team in the market.) UNC would be in a similar position. That money wouldn't make up what the payout to GT nor UNC would be, but it isn't so far off that it would be immediately discarded. The SEC on the other hand, would not immediately make additional revenue off of any ACC team South of Virginia.

Once again, I do not see this scenario happening, but I think it is a lot more likely than any of the "theories" being spouted on social media.
Sorry, I feel like I'm missing something. Would you mind explaining the math around the B10 subscriber numbers?

Wouldn't we be looking at something in the $5M-$7M range of using $1.4/subscriber * # of subscribers like you mentioned?

I've been really interested in this angle and was thinking it could make GT more appealing given the number of B10 folks in Atlanta in addition to GT fans

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I understood that they lost AAU status AFTER they joined the B1G. Someone clarify.
It depends on how you look at things. Nebraska was voted into the Big10 in June of 2010. They lost AAU membership in April of 2011. They officially joined the Big10 in July of 2011.

They were members of the AAU when they were admitted into the Big10, but they had to wait a year in the Big12 before they could leave. Within that year, they lost AAU membership.

airspace

Georgia Tech Fan
The President of Ohio State said that the connection that "the Gopher" is referring to if i heard her right is that they share their research projects among other Big 10 schools, don't think she ever said anything about research $ going to sports. Her beginning words were the Big 10 is much more than an athletic conference and then went on to talk about the sharing and working together on research amongst the various Big schools. Maybe she does not know what she is talking about, who knows.
I found this article from 2013 when Maryland came to the Big Ten.

From what I can tell, schools don't necessarily share funding (may sub contract work out). But the collaboration and sharing can lead to the following. This is where the "sharing and working together on research" comes about. You have the ability to reach out to peers in other Big Ten universities who might have a wider and deeper knowledge in the area you are trying to get research funding for (widen and deeper your own abilities in the process).

Although the CIC does not provide research grants and will not contribute to a direct source of research funding, university Research Vice President Pat O’Shea said membership will allow for greater research collaboration between universities, which often makes it easier to obtain larger grants.

It is hard to predict how much CIC membership will increase research funding, O’Shea said, but the coalition will lead to more collaboration outside of the local area and give the university a competitive edge.

“Ultimately, it will increase the research funding and the quality of the scholarship,” he said. “We’ll be playing research with higher quality colleagues. It will up our game.”

Michigan State University President Lou Anna Simon agreed, saying the CIC allows for collaboration in both research and leadership among the institutions.

“It allows greater collaboration, which has led to greater research opportunities,” she said.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I found this article from 2013 when Maryland came to the Big Ten.

From what I can tell, schools don't necessarily share funding (may sub contract work out). But the collaboration and sharing can lead to the following. This is where the "sharing and working together on research" comes about. You have the ability to reach out to peers in other Big Ten universities who might have a wider and deeper knowledge in the area you are trying to get research funding for (widen and deeper your own abilities in the process).

Although the CIC does not provide research grants and will not contribute to a direct source of research funding, university Research Vice President Pat O’Shea said membership will allow for greater research collaboration between universities, which often makes it easier to obtain larger grants.

It is hard to predict how much CIC membership will increase research funding, O’Shea said, but the coalition will lead to more collaboration outside of the local area and give the university a competitive edge.

“Ultimately, it will increase the research funding and the quality of the scholarship,” he said. “We’ll be playing research with higher quality colleagues. It will up our game.”

Michigan State University President Lou Anna Simon agreed, saying the CIC allows for collaboration in both research and leadership among the institutions.

“It allows greater collaboration, which has led to greater research opportunities,” she said.
Nice to know the details of how it benefits, hope I can remember but doubt I will. Seems like I do remember the Ohio State Pres using the word collaborate in her statement of the Big 10 having much more meaning than sports.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Welp, this got exciting.

We were once the sec stud w Dodd.

Now we are the ACC dud.

Come on Angel and Batt - get that changed from Magnificent 7 to Great 8.

For last decade I wonder what the average donation plus ticket sales are for mag 7 verses gt. All while we share equally in acc network revenue

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We were once the sec stud w Dodd.

Now we are the ACC dud.

Come on Angel and Batt - get that changed from Magnificent 7 to Great 8.

For last decade I wonder what the average donation plus ticket sales are for mag 7 verses gt. All while we share equally in acc network revenue

I wouldn't read too much into that tweet regarding GT. That's just teams he knows that exploring ways to get out of the GOR. Who knows that the ultimate goal for those 7 are. Doesn't mean they have the B1G or SEC waiting on them, and who's to say GT didn't tell those schools "You guys get it worked out, we'll support you once you find out." GT may already have an invite from the B1G waiting (and there's a rumor that's true).