Conference Realignment

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
NDs TV money will probably triple this time around. I'm guessing around $75 million a year.
Another advantage that ND has with their independent TV deal is the big board at the game. The video coverage during play, and the replays all look like they come from the NBC truck. It is the same quality as what you see on TV. They have access to all of the TV cameras including the skycam.

I don't understand why other teams/conferences don't demand that level of access. It isn't money related, but it is an advantage of having an independent deal.

CLHarperJackt

Georgia Tech Fan
FSU has been rumored to the B1G for years now. If you look at what they're doing academically, it gives life to the rumors: B1G told FSU that their market and brand were attractive, but it would be hard to get the B1G Presidents to approve of the move because their academics did not align with the rest of the B1G. Lo and behold, FSU has been working hard to improve their academics and are setting up to apply to become an member of AAU.

He reaffirmed the university’s overarching goal to achieve recognition as one of the nation’s Top 15 public universities and make progress toward membership in the Association of American Universities (AAU). In September, U.S. News & World Report again ranked FSU No. 19 on its list of the top public universities, and McCullough said he is confident that the university will continue to rise.

There is a concerted effort by FSU the school and FSU the athletics program to join the B1G. There's a reason, of all the ACC teams, FSU is making the biggest stink about ACC revenue shares compared to the B1G and SEC. FSU knows they have an invite waiting, and they also know they're losing tens of millions, and soon be hundreds of millions by being in the ACC.

B1G also knows the state of Florida, along with the Southeast, will be a HUGE growth market. They understandably want a piece of it.
Apply to become a member of AAU? To my knowledge the AAU is an invitation only organization that does not accept applications for membership but only extends invitations for membership at the membership's discretion. I read sometime ago that UGA also badly wants in, and the author of the article felt that perhaps GT and Emory were strong influences against an invitation being extended to UGA.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Apply to become a member of AAU? To my knowledge the AAU is an invitation only organization that does not accept applications for membership but only extends invitations for membership at the membership's discretion. I read sometime ago that UGA also badly wants in, and the author of the article felt that perhaps GT and Emory were strong influences against an invitation being extended to UGA.
If true, it's one of the smartest things GT has ever done.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
My impression of the AAU is that it is very political. With as many members that come from the Big 10 schools I'm guessing they swing a lot of weight when it comes to membership, invites etc. Thus in a previous post of mine I mentioned that if FSU wants in and the Big schools want them for FB and sports and they have gotten their research and academics up to AAU standards then they probably get in and eventually become a Big 10 school. All IMO of course.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I would be surprised if UGA membership in the AAU is even being considered. UGA isn't a bad school, but it doesn't seem to be in the company of AAU institutions.
Probably above the average for SEC schools, but nothing more.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If FSU goes to big 12 as part of FLA market - it wont get much fla since it is 35 miles s of ga fla line. Miami is 470 miles of populated s fla by way of orlando or tampa.

I hope fsu does not bump us out of chance for big 10. Any way we both go to big 10.
Major city hotels and airport give gt an advantage for fans to follow. Also for really big games we might get to use the Benz.

At nd we stayed 120 miles Away from game. Made Reservations late for orNge bowl and got good accomdations on golf course.

I am biased - gt is a good take when we prove long support $$ for football.
If we win at homecoming (ruining UNC Hiesman hopes) , then play sokid vs uga. , we have real hope.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I mean, does it really matter how FSU gets into AAU if/when it happens? I'm sure FSU went to AAU leadership and asked what they needed to do to be considered, and AAU probably outlined what they deemed high level qualifications similar to current members. I don't think the FSU president is making public comments about AAU if there wasn't a roadmap for them to get there that coincided with discussions with AAU leadership and members.

There may be no "official" application, but make no mistake there is an unspoken "application" for AAU membership.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I would be surprised if UGA membership in the AAU is even being considered. UGA isn't a bad school, but it doesn't seem to be in the company of AAU institutions.
Probably above the average for SEC schools, but nothing more.
One of my best friends just finished teaching his last semester at uga. He couldn’t take it anymore and gave notice. He says he’s seen the quality of the students go down while departments are often short staffed and starved for resources.

I could tell more stories but I am aware they are all anecdotal as well as suspect given the natural antipathy on this site to all things uga.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Forensic buzz said: Plus the AAU is a big deal to the B1G.
According to some I've listened to from the Big 10 it is the big deal. It is enormous money to them, supposedly multi billions of dollars to the schools.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
According to some I've listened to from the Big 10 it is the big deal. It is enormous money to them, supposedly multi billions of dollars to the schools.
Who would have thought that combining athletics with actual academics and research is actually worth anything. According to too many people on this forum, football makes more money and is more important than anything a tiny university could hope to accomplish. (Even after pointing out to them that the university budget at GT is more than 30 times greater than the entire athletic department budget.)

I dislike a lot of the Big10 programs, but it is refreshing to see a collection of schools that combine academic excellence, pool recruiting resources, and have students compete athletically. Come to think of it, that sounds like what college athletics should be about.

EDIT: I think too often, especially here in SEC territory, many people get caught up in the SEC fanboy type hype and trash talk and lose perspective on what "college" athletics should be about.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Who would have thought that combining athletics with actual academics and research is actually worth anything. According to too many people on this forum, football makes more money and is more important than anything a tiny university could hope to accomplish. (Even after pointing out to them that the university budget at GT is more than 30 times greater than the entire athletic department budget.)

I dislike a lot of the Big10 programs, but it is refreshing to see a collection of schools that combine academic excellence, pool recruiting resources, and have students compete athletically. Come to think of it, that sounds like what college athletics should be about.

EDIT: I think too often, especially here in SEC territory, many people get caught up in the SEC fanboy type hype and trash talk and lose perspective on what "college" athletics should be about.
I should have said "pool research resources" instead of "recruiting".

CLHarperJackt

Georgia Tech Fan
Yes, the research $ at stake with AAU membership completely dwarfs athletic $, as you state multi $billions vs most often less than $100 million revenue Some AAU members have chosen not to even bother with Division I athletics, Emory, University of Chicago (still a Big 10 member), MIT, CalTech..., for example.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Yes, the research $ at stake with AAU membership completely dwarfs athletic $, as you state multi $billions vs most often less than $100 million revenue Some AAU members have chosen not to even bother with Division I athletics, Emory, University of Chicago (still a Big 10 member), MIT, CalTech..., for example.

Do the big 10 teams handle revenue for athletics, hill classes, research in same way gt handles it ( gtaa is on their own) ?,.

CLHarperJackt

Georgia Tech Fan
Do the big 10 teams handle revenue for athletics, hill classes, research in same way gt handles it ( gtaa is on their own) ?,.
I don't fully understand, nor am I sure this a serious question? I don't know the inner working of BIG 10 schools, however, I don't imagine any institution would be mixing funds received for research with their athletic funds. As I pointed out the University of Chicago is still a member of and collaborates with the Big 10, but as they no longer participate in sports I don't believe they receive any pay out from the conference's sport's contracts.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I don't fully understand, nor am I sure this a serious question? I don't know the inner working of BIG 10 schools, however, I don't imagine any institution would be mixing funds received for research with their athletic funds. As I pointed out the University of Chicago is still a member of and collaborates with the Big 10, but as they no longer participate in sports I don't believe they receive any pay out from the conference's sport's contracts.
Post 49 ON A FOOTBALL SITE.
"YOU don't understand that its all about money in sports and I have confused U since know u chicago dropped football and they are doing great $. "

THE FORMER Prez had attitude that gtaa was on its own while Ga tech research grew its DOD research to near a billion $ and gt hill went international. All the while he was silent as gtaa shrank to bottom of acc which is at bottom of sec , big 10.

If there is no advantage for gtaa in big 10, i vote for SEC where we were strong.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
"YOU don't understand that its all about money in sports and I have confused U since know u chicago dropped football and they are doing great $. "

THE FORMER Prez had attitude that gtaa was on its own while Ga tech research grew its DOD research to near a billion $ and gt hill went international. All the while he was silent as gtaa shrank to bottom of acc which is at bottom of sec , big 10.

If there is no advantage for gtaa in big 10, i vote for SEC where we were strong.

Outside of playing "defense" against the B1G moving into one of their markets (arguably the SEC's most important market), SEC will have ZERO interest bringing GT back.

It's going to be B1G or or be resigned to playing a lower level of athletics outside of the "BIG 2" SEC and B1G.

CLHarperJackt

Georgia Tech Fan

What does the number of posted I've made over the years have to do with anything? I post when I'm interested doing so. I've lurked on this board since it's inception and thoroughly enjoyed Eric's invaluable recruiting insight back in the day'; still miss him.

Your post is confusing because it seems to imply that perhaps Big 10 schools co-mingle their research and athletic program funds, and it is hard to believe that any one would seriously that believe that institutions would risk the termination of the receipt of $Billions in research by co-mingling research funds to gain the relatively paltry return of the athletic department funds.

And, you now also appear to be arguing with the wind against a positon not taken. How is the Former Prez's attitude about gtaa, or GT joining the SEC or BIG 10, relevant to my position that Billions of research dollars are at stake, contingent upon AAU membership, or relevant to my position that membership into the AAU is via invitation only? GT is a member of the AAU, regardless of the former Prez's attitude or whether or not they remain in the ACC, or join the SEC or join the BIG 10; and neither FSU, nor any other institution, can apply for membership into the AAU.