Conference Realignment

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks for the up-date. I was not aware that the Power 5 had voted on This. I am actually glad to hear that!
FWIW, we always honored four years. Plus any SAs that came back later (went pro, didn't finish for other reasons) got tuition support too. To the best of my knowledge, that continues.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Its more about money this would allow them to go with SEC matchups that weekend leading into their championship game. They can then schedule a more intriguing matchups.

Imagine a big 10 SEC challenge in september with this slate Alabama vs Ohio State, Vandy vs Rutgers, Georgia Vs Michigan, Auburn vs Michigan State, Kentucky vs Maryland, Nebraska Vs Missouri. Texas Vs penn state etc The ACC matchups just don't move the needle as much and interfere with things like this.
I agree an SEC v Big10 would be compelling, but that’s a little different than your original post. I also don’t see that happening primarily because the media partners are different (SEC with ESPN and Big10 with Fox/CBS/NBC). Since ESPN is the primary media partner for both the SEC and ACC, I see that being a much more likely scenario because that would be beneficial to ESPN and therefore more beneficial to the SEC and ACC. We have that a little bit already during Rivalry week.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
If the conferences go to 9 or more conference games, Ga, Fla, and SC would be at a disadvantage having one extra rivalry game.
Yes and No. The Pac12, Big12, Big10 all play 9 conference games. Only the SEC and ACC play 8 games. I kind of expect the ACC will go to 9 games as soon as the SEC does (most likely with the addition of Texas and Oklahoma).

Edit to add: It just means Ga, Fla, and SC have less flexibility with their 3 OOC games. I wouldn't necessarily call that a disadvantage.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I agree an SEC v Big10 would be compelling, but that’s a little different than your original post. I also don’t see that happening primarily because the media partners are different (SEC with ESPN and Big10 with Fox/CBS/NBC). Since ESPN is the primary media partner for both the SEC and ACC, I see that being a much more likely scenario because that would be beneficial to ESPN and therefore more beneficial to the SEC and ACC. We have that a little bit already during Rivalry week.

Oh sorry my original post was definitely more tongue in cheek joke rooted in truth.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
On top of the South being one of the fastest growing regions, it's also one of the most talent rich regions:

The South will be the epicenter of expansion once the ACC's GOR gets worked out. If the B1G invites the rumored schools (FSU, GT, UNC, VA), not only will they have a majority of the largest media markets in their footprint, but they will also have some of the most talent rich areas in their footprint. There will be a good chance they will overtake the SEC for overall talent:

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
On top of the South being one of the fastest growing regions, it's also one of the most talent rich regions:

The South will be the epicenter of expansion once the ACC's GOR gets worked out. If the B1G invites the rumored schools (FSU, GT, UNC, VA), not only will they have a majority of the largest media markets in their footprint, but they will also have some of the most talent rich areas in their footprint. There will be a good chance they will overtake the SEC for overall talent:

There is a clear Big 2, Middle 3 and The Rest of Them

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In the big 10 i think gt would be able to recruit bigger lineman.

Imho there seem to be more of the bigger linemen in big 10 and linemen tend to be a notch up on the analytical scale.

With 6 games at BDS family could easily fly in via ATL airport . Plus ATL has cool stuff to do while attending the game.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

Imho there seem to be more of the bigger linemen in big 10 and linemen tend to be a notch up on the analytical scale.

With 6 games at BDS family could easily fly in via ATL airport . Plus ATL has cool stuff to do while attending the game.
There are tons of Big Ten alums already living in the Atlanta area. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn there are more Ohio State alums in metro Atlanta than GT alums.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There is a clear Big 2, Middle 3 and The Rest of Them

I think once there's a clear Big 2, ESPN and Fox will probably want to put more resources in the SEC and B1G, and all the other conferences will be squeezed for whatever they can get. We're seeing it with the leftover PAC12 schools. Schools outside of the Big 2 will still play sports, but it'll be more on a regional basis whereas the Big 2 teams will play national level type games.

There's long been a rumor that the B1G will ultimately "professionalize" their league once they are done expanding...which won't be until they pick off the ACC schools. Their new commissioner is a BIG clue how the B1G perceives itself. They are modeling themselves on the pro sports media model, and they will "acquire" the biggest markets and schools within it. No, they won't be a "professional" league in the purist sense, but they want to put together a sports league that rivals the media clout of professional sports.

Needless to say, over the next decade plus, the NCAA as we've known it will cease to exist.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

I have for years thought that Tech would benefit from this. Lineman up north generally go to better high schools and are better prepared for college. When I look at top rated linemen in the south more than a few of them come out of substandard or even failing school systems. It’s not their fault but they are usually unprepared for a school like Tech. And I would think a lineman from, say, Minnesota, might think it would be a fun adventure in life to try winter in the south.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think once there's a clear Big 2, ESPN and Fox will probably want to put more resources in the SEC and B1G, and all the other conferences will be squeezed for whatever they can get. We're seeing it with the leftover PAC12 schools. Schools outside of the Big 2 will still play sports, but it'll be more on a regional basis whereas the Big 2 teams will play national level type games.

There's long been a rumor that the B1G will ultimately "professionalize" their league once they are done expanding...which won't be until they pick off the ACC schools. Their new commissioner is a BIG clue how the B1G perceives itself. They are modeling themselves on the pro sports media model, and they will "acquire" the biggest markets and schools within it. No, they won't be a "professional" league in the purist sense, but they want to put together a sports league that rivals the media clout of professional sports.

Needless to say, over the next decade plus, the NCAA as we've known it will cease to exist.
NCAA limits scholarships. If that goes away, nothing to stop the factories from having 100+ on scholarship. Dries up available talent. That was the main reason we left in the SEC. SEC can afford the numbers with all that tv money.
It's getting the point where it will be so hard to compete with the SEC and B1G that the answer may be to form an entire new group of conferences (or NCAA equivalent) that don't schedule teams from those two. Let them beat up on themselves and see how Texas OU TAM Fla etc like being 6-6 at best every year. Those coaches like padding their OOC schedules now.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

As long as the taxpayers don't have to pay for it, I'm ok with this. My beau ideal here would be that pro teams would fund sports (well, some of them) at the "professionalizing" schools and I wouldn't be taxed - as I am today - to put what are already quasi-pro teams on the field. Everyone who isn't part if that goes into Div 3. Problem solved.

But, of course, why should the athletes go to school when they are part of professional organization? Many of them don't want to be at uiniversity in the first place. I like the European model where the kids who want to be athletes become athletes while they are young and, if they decide to go on with their schooling, do so later. I know we would like to see the kids go to college, but many don't want to.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

That was the discussion today. The SEC giving up an out of conference game for a 9th SEC game. Probably for Thursday night.

CFB is on a collision course with the NFL. Both soon to be playing playoffs on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

But that was Greg Sankey’s view all along. Get the same eyeballs, get the same $.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
NCAA limits scholarships. If that goes away, nothing to stop the factories from having 100+ on scholarship. Dries up available talent. That was the main reason we left in the SEC. SEC can afford the numbers with all that tv money.
We're there now. You want the Top HS QB on your team? You don't need a scholarship. Walk-ons get in-state tuition. The alums/supporters pay him NIL plus expenses (tuition, etc), then the school can use that freed up scholarship on a player that won't get any NIL. You could man your projected starting line up with NIL guys, put your back ups on scholarship. You could end up with 150 players paid for no sweat. It's coming. All it takes is about $5M per year in extra cash for a school, a drop in the bucket with what the big guys are getting from media rights, etc.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
That was the discussion today. The SEC giving up an out of conference game for a 9th SEC game. Probably for Thursday night.

CFB is on a collision course with the NFL. Both soon to be playing playoffs on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

But that was Greg Sankey’s view all along. Get the same eyeballs, get the same $.

Taking on a league with a national footprint with a regional league seems a bit foolhardy, but hey, it's worked for them so far, I guess.

But how long can the SEC or B1G demand national eyeballs if they play no relevant games in, or against teams from, large swaths of the country?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Taking on a league with a national footprint with a regional league seems a bit foolhardy, but hey, it's worked for them so far, I guess.

But how long can the SEC or B1G demand national eyeballs if they play no relevant games in, or against teams from, large swaths of the country?
THAT is the discussion. How to get CFB eyeballs that would rate as a median level of NFL viewership. If CFB does that (not the SEC, mind you), it will rain money.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
As long as the taxpayers don't have to pay for it, I'm ok with this. My beau ideal here would be that pro teams would fund sports (well, some of them) at the "professionalizing" schools and I wouldn't be taxed - as I am today - to put what are already quasi-pro teams on the field. Everyone who isn't part if that goes into Div 3. Problem solved.

But, of course, why should the athletes go to school when they are part of professional organization? Many of them don't want to be at uiniversity in the first place. I like the European model where the kids who want to be athletes become athletes while they are young and, if they decide to go on with their schooling, do so later. I know we would like to see the kids go to college, but many don't want to.
No pro football league can compete with the NFL. Trying would be foolish.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
No pro football league can compete with the NFL. Trying would be foolish.
You misunderstood me. I meant running "college" teams as minor league teams for NFL franchises. I think that would be workable, provided that fans would actually show up to see the games.

But, hey, I'd like $100M and my own island resort too.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
But, hey, I'd like $100M and my own island resort too.
I used to say I'd like $1M and a harem, but inflation and age are crushing my dream.

Sad Charlie Brown GIF by Peanuts