Conference Realignment

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I doubt that there are no expectations for schools in the contract .
The previous GOR contract has this language in it:
7. Reasonable Access. Without any additional consideration or compensation to the
Member Institutions, each of the Member Institutions agrees throughout the Term to provide
ESPN and its sublicensees with reasonable access to its property and facilities, with appropriate
ingress and egress, parking, facilities, utilities and lighting, and other support and assistance
reasonably required by ESPN and its sublicensees to exercise the Rights as and to the extent
provided in the ESPN Agreement.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
you are young but if you are looking for the SEC or Big 10 to invite Tech, We screwed that up already it just ain't going to happen. No where has the SEC or Big 10 said or been named as a Team they would take. now if you think those 2 are going to 32 teams then maybe.
I expect 30 and 30 with 6 divisions each. Top team from each division and one wildcard with a 12 team playoff.
4 game division schedule 4 game out of division in conference schedule. 2 OOC Games. Shorter regular season for the longer playoffs.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The previous GOR contract has this language in it:
Thanks for the info. To me it seems unlikely that TV would sign a contract to give $$$ for a long time with "access" as the sole performance requirement. Surely in the scope, contract, general conditions with certain legal statutes referenced , definitions of the terms there will have some sort of description (or implied) of the sports teams and schools effort to promote of the acc network. IMO, TV will find a reason for breaching when they time is right (new plan is in place). They will make a generous offer to the left behind teams - some $ and possibly some new network.

Separate subject
Your "reasonable access" attachment for filming made me remember something about ACC Network access at the GT CC and Hotel. Since 2014 we have stayed overnight for home games there as preferred way to go to gt football. Costs more but very GT and easy walk to food and game. When ACC network started - was on at the pizza place next door - but was not on in the room, I complained about it to the manger. Eventually, I talked to may GTAA contact, who said she would get a look into that - but she quit and went to a bigger school.

JUST CHECKED
As of today (just called ) ACC network is not available at the GT CC & Hotel but the SEC network has always been available.

Sure seems to me that the TV guys would expect the ACC network to be connected.

Looked "on line" it appears that GT CC and H is not run by GT hill or GTAA but by GT Research.

Wonder if gtaa gets a portion?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the info. To me it seems unlikely that TV would sign a contract to give $$$ for a long time with "access" as the sole performance requirement. Surely in the scope, contract, general conditions with certain legal statutes referenced , definitions of the terms there will have some sort of description (or implied) of the sports teams and schools effort to promote of the acc network. IMO, TV will find a reason for breaching when they time is right (new plan is in place). They will make a generous offer to the left behind teams - some $ and possibly some new network.
The GOR means that the ACC owns the rights to each schools media broadcast of sporting events. As several have discussed that means that no ACC school can add media value to another conference, at least with respect to games that are under the schools control. The reasonable access portion of the contract is something that a school could simply not comply with. However, if a school is still being held to the GOR I don't see them breaking this portion. They would not add media value to the new conference, and the ACC/ESPN would sue them for the value of the media content they are preventing from being broadcast. That would be a double whammy. The school can't make money from the media broadcast and then has to pay the ACC for the value of media that isn't being broadcast.

I don't foresee any school leaving unless there is a way out of the GOR contract. As I said, you can break portions of the contract, but you can't sell something that you do not own.

JUST CHECKED
As of today (just called ) ACC network is not available at the GT CC & Hotel but the SEC network has always been available.

Sure seems to me that the TV guys would expect the ACC network to be connected.

Looked "on line" it appears that GT CC and H is not run by GT hill or GTAA but by GT Research.

Wonder if gtaa gets a portion?
GT Research can't give money to the GTAA. (At least the total University money to the GTAA can't exceed 10% of the GTAA revenue. That includes direct money, student fees, facilities allowances, etc.) What they could probably do is have the GTAA sell the rooms on game weekends and collect a portion of the sales as a commission. I think for that to work, the purchases would have to be made through a system owned by the GTAA.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The GOR means that the ACC owns the rights to each schools media broadcast of sporting events. As several have discussed that means that no ACC school can add media value to another conference, at least with respect to games that are under the schools control. The reasonable access portion of the contract is something that a school could simply not comply with. However, if a school is still being held to the GOR I don't see them breaking this portion. They would not add media value to the new conference, and the ACC/ESPN would sue them for the value of the media content they are preventing from being broadcast. That would be a double whammy. The school can't make money from the media broadcast and then has to pay the ACC for the value of media that isn't being broadcast.

I don't foresee any school leaving unless there is a way out of the GOR contract. As I said, you can break portions of the contract, but you can't sell something that you do not own.

GT Research can't give money to the GTAA. (At least the total University money to the GTAA can't exceed 10% of the GTAA revenue. That includes direct money, student fees, facilities allowances, etc.) What they could probably do is have the GTAA sell the rooms on game weekends and collect a portion of the sales as a commission. I think for that to work, the purchases would have to be made through a system owned by the GTAA.

Ron -
What do you think about the GT CC and H having no ACC network on the TV?

We obviously have completely different work experience and are talking past each other.
Lets just let the ESPN tv guys and the ACC team guys work it out via negotiating or litigating.

"Knight Newhouse College Athletic Database" website says that Gtaa debt was around $200,000,000 but now it is up to over $250,000,000. Whoever holds the note on the debt has let us slide for just $12,000,000 interest ONLY payments for over a decade. I am worried with all the talk about new conferences , the note holder could want to call the note and demand accelerated payment. I have no info on the holder of the note or the note = just what is on Knight Website.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Ron -
What do you think about the GT CC and H having no ACC network on the TV?
I think that is a mistake. I don't think it is necessarily a deliberate slight to athletics. I looked it up even though the GT Foundation owns the hotel, It was leased to a real estate management company until 2021, then the GT Foundation took over control. I'm not sure if they are still in control or not, but I assume they are. The TV service was likely a national contract for Crestline Hotels and Resorts.(The former management company) The management of the hotel has probably simply never changed much since Crestline stopped being involved. I have never stayed at the hotel, so it isn't something I would even be aware of. It is easy to simply believe that the GT Foundation is hard core opposed to sports, but Brock is a trustee, so that isn't 100% the case. If enough people stay at the hotel and complain, not just to the hotel but also to the foundation it would likely change TV providers or packages.

We obviously have completely different work experience and are talking past each other.
Lets just let the ESPN tv guys and the ACC team guys work it out via negotiating or litigating.
My post wasn't meant to contradict what you were saying. Only to point out to some who don't believe so that GOR isn't simply a contract that can be broken. It is an assignment of intellectual property.

"Knight Newhouse College Athletic Database" website says that Gtaa debt was around $200,000,000 but now it is up to over $250,000,000. Whoever holds the note on the debt has let us slide for just $12,000,000 interest ONLY payments for over a decade. I am worried with all the talk about new conferences , the note holder could want to call the note and demand accelerated payment. I have no info on the holder of the note or the note = just what is on Knight Website.
Adding to BDS without money or a plan to pay for it was a mistake. DRad building out other sports areas without money or a plan to pay for it was a mistake. Very easy to do with interest only payments when interest rates are close to zero. The GTAA can't pay good money for football coaches, can't fire a coach until the stars align for financial reasons, and on top of that has debt that it isn't making any principal payments on. We need a lot more money.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
A
I think that is a mistake. I don't think it is necessarily a deliberate slight to athletics. I looked it up even though the GT Foundation owns the hotel, It was leased to a real estate management company until 2021, then the GT Foundation took over control. I'm not sure if they are still in control or not, but I assume they are. The TV service was likely a national contract for Crestline Hotels and Resorts.(The former management company) The management of the hotel has probably simply never changed much since Crestline stopped being involved. I have never stayed at the hotel, so it isn't something I would even be aware of. It is easy to simply believe that the GT Foundation is hard core opposed to sports, but Brock is a trustee, so that isn't 100% the case. If enough people stay at the hotel and complain, not just to the hotel but also to the foundation it would likely change TV providers or packages.

My post wasn't meant to contradict what you were saying. Only to point out to some who don't believe so that GOR isn't simply a contract that can be broken. It is an assignment of intellectual property.

Adding to BDS without money or a plan to pay for it was a mistake. DRad building out other sports areas without money or a plan to pay for it was a mistake. Very easy to do with interest only payments when interest rates are close to zero. The GTAA can't pay good money for football coaches, can't fire a coach until the stars align for financial reasons, and on top of that has debt that it isn't making any principal payments on. We need a lot more money.
U get more money by doing the little things as well as the big things .

I think gt is not doing their part to get viewers on acc network with it not viewable at gt hotel. Without accn gtaa would be bankrupt.

Since Accn our donations are flat at 11$m.
Auburn in 20 was 33$m.

4 years ago gtaa could not use the gt alumni association list. If u give to AA u get points towards getting better football seats. .
I hope before it's too late we have a major fund drive to build gt sports for future.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
A
U get more money by doing the little things as well as the big things .

I think gt is not doing their part to get viewers on acc network with it not viewable at gt hotel. Without accn gtaa would be bankrupt.

Since Accn our donations are flat at 11$m.
Auburn in 20 was 33$m.

4 years ago gtaa could not use the gt alumni association list. If u give to AA u get points towards getting better football seats. .
I hope before it's too late we have a major fund drive to build gt sports for future.
GTAA has NEVER had access to Roll Call. The GTF does not want to lose those donations to the Foundation.

We just had a major fundraising effort by the GTAA to build GT sports for the future.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
GTAA has NEVER had access to Roll Call. The GTF does not want to lose those donations to the Foundation.

We just had a major fundraising effort by the GTAA to build GT sports for the future.
So we named the stadium for Dodd who was great then took us independent.

As engineers we keep rasing money to add to the stadium in the belief the facilities would make us winners. North Stands, South end zone New locker room while hiring coaches on the cheap.
Was BOBBY DODD STADIUM. Now we have had another "great" fund raising to add a great new Edge center with a view of the stadium.
Without massive and long term commitment to hiring the best, it will be called
BOBBY DODO STADIUM.

In business
First you hire the best engineers/coaches and they make the company/team start winning. Then you build.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
This was exactly what I was referring to earlier in the thread. A national conference tailor made for a new college sports model geared towards national sports media...oh, and GIANT media contracts. Some of y'all thought the idea was crazy, but as the days go by it's exactly what's unfolding.

B1G and SEC are thinking on such a bigger level than some have imagined.
Sounds like NBC would love for ND to be in The BIG....