Conference Realignment

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Its called online classes. Been around for years. Labs are done in off season. They can still have plenty of student experiences, but don't miss out on the learning...which is the main point of college. Student experience is second.
professors decide the modality, not students. And students overwhelmingly prefer live class. For the learning.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Can we now get over the fact the Big 10 and SEC doesn't want Tech. Best thing to hope for is the ACC does something other then sit and wait.
We'll see, I'm not so sure, lots of maneuvering going on I'm guessing. There is a big problem for the ACC, SEC, and BIG called GOR and the only way I see around it at this point is enough teams wanting out of ACC to go elsewhere. Who wants out, everyone that can go to SEC and BIG. Looks to me like that means 7 or 8 schools in order to get it done. Just my opinion, but for the ACC to sit there and wait on the GOR to run out (14 yrs ) is just slow, painful suicide. Actually may work better for GT over the next couple yrs, maybe we can get our FB program in better shape with W/L column. If the BIG wants FL they will want ATL, NC and maybe VA also IMO. I've heard UVA does not pull all that well from the media mkts up their way. IMO the BIG badly needs to end up dominate in this current battle, has substantial potential consequences in future years after both conferences get to where they both would like to be in the current moves. Good mgrs/negotiators are thinking many moves ahead.
As I've seen mentioned by others, my biggest concern is the negotiators for GT, we have a terrible history of business dealings, negotiations etc., just not part of our DNA it seems, always been that way, think it's the nature of the beast, our minds just don't go there, it was a shock to me when I left GT and started trying to deal, learned on the job, had some really good folks ( luckily ) early on in my life that taught me volumes.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
We'll see, I'm not so sure, lots of maneuvering going on I'm guessing. There is a big problem for the ACC, SEC, and BIG called GOR and the only way I see around it at this point is enough teams wanting out of ACC to go elsewhere. Who wants out, everyone that can go to SEC and BIG. Looks to me like that means 7 or 8 schools in order to get it done. Just my opinion, but for the ACC to sit there and wait on the GOR to run out (14 yrs ) is just slow, painful suicide. Actually may work better for GT over the next couple yrs, maybe we can get our FB program in better shape with W/L column. If the BIG wants FL they will want ATL, NC and maybe VA also IMO. I've heard UVA does not pull all that well from the media mkts up their way. IMO the BIG badly needs to end up dominate in this current battle, has substantial potential consequences in future years after both conferences get to where they both would like to be in the current moves. Good mgrs/negotiators are thinking many moves ahead.
As I've seen mentioned by others, my biggest concern is the negotiators for GT, we have a terrible history of business dealings, negotiations etc., just not part of our DNA it seems, always been that way, think it's the nature of the beast, our minds just don't go there, it was a shock to me when I left GT and started trying to deal, learned on the job, had some really good folks ( luckily ) early on in my life that taught me volumes.
The other big problem with GOR is the legal battle it could bring.Schools wanting out just bring lawsuit to invalidate it and extend it out so long (and not pay),the ACC gives in at some point.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
The other big problem with GOR is the legal battle it could bring.Schools wanting out just bring lawsuit to invalidate it and extend it out so long (and not pay),the ACC gives in at some point.
I’m not privy to the deal, but the basic principle is that the conference collectively owns the rights, collects revenue and makes the distributions to schools. If one school decides to file a lawsuit over GOR the conference probably would withhold payments to said school, but not all schools. I don’t see that putting additional pressure on other members or the conference as a whole.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
The SEC & B1G expand to 16 teams each and form the 32-team Premier Conference. Top four teams in playoff for THE national Championship.

The ACC, Pac-10 and Big 12, merge and expand to 32 teams and form the Championship Conference. Top four in playoff League title.

The two conferences agree that the bottom two from the Premier will move down each year while the top two teams in the Championship move up each year.

Everyone wins as there are MORE playoff games and they matter. Even a late-season game at the bottom of the Premier Conference becomes relevant as it determines who gets relegated down.

Seriously, is this not a win for all involved? Conversely, who loses under such a system???

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The SEC & B1G expand to 16 teams each and form the 32-team Premier Conference. Top four teams in playoff for THE national Championship.

The ACC, Pac-10 and Big 12, merge and expand to 32 teams and form the Championship Conference. Top four in playoff League title.

The two conferences agree that the bottom two from the Premier will move down each year while the top two teams in the Championship move up each year.

Everyone wins as there are MORE playoff games and they matter. Even a late-season game at the bottom of the Premier Conference becomes relevant as it determines who gets relegated down.

Seriously, is this not a win for all involved? Conversely, who loses under such a system???
So, four teams would actually leave their conferences to join a different conference every year? Sounds like a scheduling nightmare.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

It's not a win for teams who end up in the 2nd tier conference and wanted to be top tier. You are at an immediate heavy disadvantage recruiting-wise and funding-wise compared to the premier teams. You might say that advantage already exists, and it does to a point, that guys would already rather player for the big name SEC schools and big name Big 10 schools, but there is still a path to the national championship through the ACC, Pac 10 and Big 12. You are suggesting the ACC, Pac 12, and Big 12 be unallowed to compete for the national championship? The ACC has won 3 of the last 10 national championships, the Big 10 has 1, and the year OSU won they got ****-slapped by a very mediocre VT at home to start the season. Why are we getting the boot, just because the Big 10 has a better media contract and better perception? The ACC has always been the premier basketball conference, but we get a lot less credit than we deserve for football.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
It's not a win for teams who end up in the 2nd tier conference and wanted to be top tier. You are at an immediate heavy disadvantage recruiting-wise and funding-wise compared to the premier teams. You might say that advantage already exists, and it does to a point, that guys would already rather player for the big name SEC schools and big name Big 10 schools, but there is still a path to the national championship through the ACC, Pac 10 and Big 12. You are suggesting the ACC, Pac 12, and Big 12 be unallowed to compete for the national championship? The ACC has won 3 of the last 10 national championships, the Big 10 has 1, and the year OSU won they got ****-slapped by a very mediocre VT at home to start the season. Why are we getting the boot, just because the Big 10 has a better media contract and better perception? The ACC has always been the premier basketball conference, but we get a lot less credit than we deserve for football.
Your last sentence RE: credit for FB, seems to me we don't have a very good record against the SEC in recent years as a conference, yep Clemson has helped but beyond that how are we doing, some of you that are good putting together stats tell us please.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Your last sentence RE: credit for FB, seems to me we don't have a very good record against the SEC in recent years as a conference, yep Clemson has helped but beyond that how are we doing, some of you that are good putting together stats tell us please.
You have to look at the match-ups. The only SEZc teams that will play the ACC are their top teams. When the ACC plays anyone else, the SEC typically doesn’t fair well.

The annual GT/uga skews those results. Outside of the GT/uga match-up, what’s our regular season record against the SEC in the past 10-20 years? Pretty damn good.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I’m not privy to the deal, but the basic principle is that the conference collectively owns the rights, collects revenue and makes the distributions to schools. If one school decides to file a lawsuit over GOR the conference probably would withhold payments to said school, but not all schools. I don’t see that putting additional pressure on other members or the conference as a whole.
Can't the TV side sue for failure to perform as AKA breach?

What if several schools just took the TV money from the deal and just coasted. The school could keep ticket sales and donations at a flat or declining trend. Other schools raised more money to go with the TV increase to make better TV swag of the conference.

I doubt that there are no expectations for schools in the contract .

The TV folks are going to divide the schools.