Conference Realignment

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Gt revenue
DONATIONS AND TICKET SALES ( THAT US) $ 24 ×10^6 for last 15 years . Some ups (2014) and some recent declines.

VT D and T Sales slight increase 38×10^6

ACC MEDIA Conference distribution @ 15x10^6 pre 2015 and 30×10^6 post 2015.

To go up from here we need help from Hill and we need a major pledge increase from Alums for Donations and Tickets.

Its Up or Out time.
The Hill is limited by regulation on how much they can provide. They provide close to the max percentage every year. Get the tickets/donations/merchandise/media money up or the Hill cannot provide more money.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Interesting tidbit in this article. Apparently the SEC reached out to GT to gauge our interest as well as the B1G the last round of expansion. Hmm...

Regardless of UGA, and how little GT really impacts the "Atlanta market", I didn't think the SEC would just let the B1G come waltzing into their biggest market.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Beat me to it...
Provides some interesting insight.
Interesting tidbit in this article. Apparently the SEC reached out to GT to gauge our interest as well as the B1G the last round of expansion. Hmm...

Regardless of UGA, and how little GT really impacts the "Atlanta market", I didn't think the SEC would just let the B1G come waltzing into their biggest market.
Beat me to it.
Provides some interesting insight.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
he goes on on about the academic commitment of the ACC, but I'd say the BIG10 has a better commitment. Would the BIG allow Louisville in? F$U? I could see them kicking out Nebraska, and adding us and UVA and Duke, if UNC would allow it and be accepted to the $ec. But he also said he'd make the same decision again, despite the loss of MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS. As a side walk fan, Im starting to believe the GTAA vs The Hill. Does Cabrera seem to be cut of the same cloth?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
he goes on on about the academic commitment of the ACC, but I'd say the BIG10 has a better commitment. Would the BIG allow Louisville in? F$U? I could see them kicking out Nebraska, and adding us and UVA and Duke, if UNC would allow it and be accepted to the $ec. But he also said he'd make the same decision again, despite the loss of MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS. As a side walk fan, Im starting to believe the GTAA vs The Hill. Does Cabrera seem to be cut of the same cloth?

B1G is the best of both worlds: Good/great academics, and higher payout for GT. Not sure there's a negative for GT in the B1G.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The Hill is limited by regulation on how much they can provide. They provide close to the max percentage every year. Get the tickets/donations/merchandise/media money up or the Hill cannot provide more money.
Are u an accountant?
Can't we ask the the accounting department can be creative?
At my company all vp gave generously to United way.
When baylor committed to build there stadium the big booster wanted hill support. My son and daughters in law who are teachers had to buy seats. I sent them money on condition I could have priority. They still have tickets because they get free cheap seat basketball tickets.

The alumni association hold fund raising functions at football home coming games.. - the value of that is huge. At my 40 th reunion we met in the south end zone banquet hall that over field. they hit me up for more $$ . Heck I thought the money sent to football too.
Bud Peterdon and alumni prez were at both orange bowls - to press the flesh.

I agree we need to raise way more $

We have too many fortunes 500 engineers and way to few business owners.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
someone posted it elsewhere, but the ACC as a whole is far more selective in who they accept than any other conference including the Big 10. The Big 10 does generate more research dollars with the ACC being 2nd. Basically, both are on average very strong academically.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I’m pretty sure the entire Institute does better financially when you have a successful athletic program. Plus the overall esteem is much higher. Not sure some of our leaders understand that.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have a friend in Oriental who is a retired provost at a state university in NC. When his university was having more football success the applications to the school increased and the academic level of the applicants also increased. He said donations to the athletic department were sharply higher, but only on the margins to the school. The biggest bump in funding came from two sources: student fees and the legislature. This tracks well with GT where the school is in great shape financially while the GTAA is not so much.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Are u an accountant?
When baylor committed to build there stadium the big booster wanted hill support. My son and daughters in law who are teachers had to buy seats. I sent them money on condition I could have priority. They still have tickets because they get free cheap seat basketball tickets.

The alumni association hold fund raising functions at football home coming games.. - the value of that is huge. At my 40 th reunion we met in the south end zone banquet hall that over field. they hit me up for more $$ . Heck I thought the money sent to football too.

The Hill is subject to both NCAA regulations and state law. Currently, the Hill's contribution to athletics is largely in forgiving get out-of-state tuition expense for players. There is very little direct cash payments (if any) to the GTAA.

If you look at FSU, they generate gazillions through their Seminole Club. It's an extremely well-organized club designed for the sole purpose of raising money. IPTAY at Clemson is also very good.

As I recall, TStan declined to pursue this citing that it would be easier to get 10% more out of the Top 50 donors than try to get 5,000 more donors. Maybe. But those other programs have a very solid, very consistent way to raise money that Tech does not. I agree ... if you cannot raise money consistently, you're screwed.

I would love to see the GTAA start a drive (like AI2020) to pay off the debt. That alone will give us more running room to hire coaches. Once done, then ... create a fundraising animal.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Are u an accountant?

I am not an accountant. However, I can determine what 10% or a revenue number is. The school (Hill) provides right at 10% of the GTAA revenue. Could a government run institution force employees to purchase sports tickets? Maybe. There would probably be lawsuits involved and the AJC would be running articles about how GT can't sell 5,000 season tickets so they are forcing poor janitors to spend a couple of weeks pay to buy tickets that "nobody wants".

I do with the alumni association would help raise more money specifically for sports and would be more transparent about where the roll call money goes. (I don't think they hide it, but you have to look for it. They don't make it immediately obvious that the money goes to campus and academic things.)

Before blaming the "Hill", the GTAA should get it's act together. 7 years ago we had an AD who was actively campaigning against the football team. That AD rejected a 7 figure donation from a booster. I don't have inside information, but it is my understanding that some boosters were encouraging him to act that way. The AD is responsible for the athletic department, but the GTAA is responsible for the AD. If I were on a board that had a leader who acted that way, I would work hard to get rid of him BEFORE he did a lot of damage to the organization. After 2014, season ticket sales increased. However, I think the athletic department was only half-hearted in attempts to maximize the effect of that season.

Division among boosters and a weak-spined AD have caused significantly more problems than the "Hill" and a much deeper hole than the employees of GT can rectify by themselves. We had fans who were refusing to spend money in order to get rid of CPJ. We have fans who are refusing to spend money until we get rid of CGC. We need fans who support that athletic association, not just support individuals that they like. We need boosters who try to make GT better instead of trying to mircomanage it to fit their exact desires. If we want GT football to be successful, we need to stop lamenting how others aren't doing everything we think they should and start actually doing everything we can. If we blame others, we end up not doing anything ourselves. Then the "others" blame us and nothing ever gets done.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Division among boosters and a weak-spined AD have caused significantly more problems than the "Hill" and a much deeper hole than the employees of GT can rectify by themselves.

I appreciate your perspective but could not disagree more. These are symptoms. The root cause is higher imo. The buck stops at the top. The school is interested in athletics but not commited to them. As a result, we have had a series of bad to mediocre AD's since Homer Rice. This isn't by coincidence (I don't believe). Athletics is very far down on the list of priorities of school leadership. Whether that is good or bad is open to debate.

But I just spent some time on a backpacking trip with my brother who is a grad of OSU (Buckeyes). He is a casual fan but we were discussing this difference between the 2 schools. A president there understands that the success of the AA is part of the job and indifference or lack of involvement would be career suicide. FWIW, he is aware of the talk about possible future expansion candidates to the B10. Apparently, GT is considered by most fans up there as a reasonable and viable candidate despite our last 6-7 years of ineptitude. Most don't consider that (recent records) as a talking point when discussing the topic. FWIW.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate your perspective but could not disagree more. These are symptoms. The root cause is higher imo. The buck stops at the top. The school is interested in athletics but not commited to them. As a result, we have had a series of bad to mediocre AD's since Homer Rice. This isn't by coincidence (I don't believe). Athletics is very far down on the list of priorities of school leadership. Whether that is good or bad is open to debate.

But I just spent some time on a backpacking trip with my brother who is a grad of OSU (Buckeyes). He is a casual fan but we were discussing this difference between the 2 schools. A president there understands that the success of the AA is part of the job and indifference or lack of involvement would be career suicide. FWIW, he is aware of the talk about possible future expansion candidates to the B10. Apparently, GT is considered by most fans up there as a reasonable and viable candidate despite our last 6-7 years of ineptitude. Most don't consider that (recent records) as a talking point when discussing the topic. FWIW.
I don't think we are terribly apart. The GTAA trustees are responsible for hiring the AD and therefore are responsible for how he performs. My impression of Braine was a paper pusher who just runs things. My impression of MBob is that he was a disaster. Some on here don't like DRad, and he left GT with a ton of debt. However, he was responsible for pushing things. He raised the football team up. He was able to convince the trustees to build. Like him or not, and like what he did or not, he had a vision and he led to that vision. I like TStan and he has been able to get fundraising levels up. However, he hasn't come across to me so far as a leader that can convince people to follow him to a vision. I do hope he has a vision, can get the boosters on board, and can convince the trustees to go along.

I remember a quote, but can't remember it exactly, from a Big10 AD who said something like brands can be built, but fits for a relationship can't. I have said this before, but too many people put too much emphasis into the last few years. Take a look at the SEC. It used to be that Florida and Tennessee were the huge teams from the SEC. The SEC West was considered to be a weak division. Then Florida and LSU were strong. Then LSU and Alabama with Auburn sprinkled in, and people thought that the SEC East was among the weakest divisions in the automatic qualifying conferences. Now Alabama and the mutts are strong and people seem to think it will be that way for the next century. Regardless of whether GT turns into another OSU or another Indiana in 10 years, it does fit the mold of a Big10 university.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Just for funny lets look what they thought in 1993
1658846109895.png

Attachments

• 1658846063429.png
    1658846063429.png
    364 KB · Views: 7

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Could be? Money-wise it already is, if we lose out in the final shuffle of chairs then it will be the 2nd worst decision ever in GT athletics Next to leaving the SEC (imo).

culturally UVA and UNC seem like terrible fits in the SEC, and I‘m not sure why VT isn’t considered more there- yes they are down now but they have a big rabid fanbase and redneck culture that seems perfect.
That made me LOL, redneck culture !

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Travel cost and time.
This isn’t 1980 anymore. What’s the difference in cost and time flying to play at BC, ND, or Miami vs. Northwestern, Ohio State, or Penn State. No difference. Atl to Miami is 662 miles. Atl to Columbus is 567. Atl to BC is 1,076 miles. Atl to Northwestern is 733. Purdue is closer to Atl than ND is yet we send student athletes there all the time to play.

The point is travel costs and time are a non issue in todays world. Even having teams on the west coast isn’t a factor.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
This isn’t 1980 anymore. What’s the difference in cost and time flying to play at BC, ND, or Miami vs. Northwestern, Ohio State, or Penn State. No difference. Atl to Miami is 662 miles. Atl to Columbus is 567. Atl to BC is 1,076 miles. Atl to Northwestern is 733. Purdue is closer to Atl than ND is yet we send student athletes there all the time to play.

The point is travel costs and time are a non issue in todays world. Even having teams on the west coast isn’t a factor.
North South distance isn't an issue; East West distances crosses time zones. West Coast is definitely a factor. Someone might choose to ignore that, but it will be a factor on the people travelling.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

North South distance isn't an issue; East West distances crosses time zones. West Coast is definitely a factor. Someone might choose to ignore that, but it will be a factor on the people travelling.
I think the east -> west travel is tough, but it is also hard for sports outside MBB and FB, there isn't the same level of funds for Baseball, Softball, Swimming, etc.

Now imagine trying to get the ladies softball team to Stanford on a school day?

Last edited: