Conference Realignment

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is my fear about the ACC generally and GT specifically. When the music stops and elbows fly while butts are seaking chairs, no one will cry for the ones left standing. Hopefully we get a chair early enough to have a choice.

I think if UNC and UVA choose the B1G, GT will have a better shot at getting the nod from the B1G.

I linked an interview earlier in the thread with UNC's former AD, and in it he mentioned that UNC has been invited multiple times over the years to the SEC...which sounds like UNC has a standing SEC offer. Plus, UNC fits into SEC's "contiguous" expansion model. There's a chance UNC ends up in the SEC and not the B1G.

If anyone thinks UNC wouldn't leave the ACC, just look at Texas/Oklahoma and USC/UCLA. All of those schools were found members and flagship members of their conferences. Everyone sees the HUGE revenue gap that's going to separate the Super 2 from everyone else, and schools that want to compete at that level will want to be part of it.

The $100 million/year question will be if the B1G still views GT the way they did when they invited us to join their conference and we turned them down. That could turn out to be a catastrophic error on our part.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think if UNC and UVA choose the B1G, GT will have a better shot at getting the nod from the B1G.

I linked an interview earlier in the thread with UNC's former AD, and in it he mentioned that UNC has been invited multiple times over the years to the SEC...which sounds like UNC has a standing SEC offer. Plus, UNC fits into SEC's "contiguous" expansion model. There's a chance UNC ends up in the SEC and not the B1G.

If anyone thinks UNC wouldn't leave the ACC, just look at Texas/Oklahoma and USC/UCLA. All of those schools were found members and flagship members of their conferences. Everyone sees the HUGE revenue gap that's going to separate the Super 2 from everyone else, and schools that want to compete at that level will want to be part of it.

The $100 million/year question will be if the B1G still views GT the way they did when they invited us to join their conference and we turned them down. That could turn out to be a catastrophic error on our part.
Could be? Money-wise it already is, if we lose out in the final shuffle of chairs then it will be the 2nd worst decision ever in GT athletics Next to leaving the SEC (imo).

culturally UVA and UNC seem like terrible fits in the SEC, and I‘m not sure why VT isn’t considered more there- yes they are down now but they have a big rabid fanbase and redneck culture that seems perfect.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Could be? Money-wise it already is, if we lose out in the final shuffle of chairs then it will be the 2nd worst decision ever in GT athletics Next to leaving the SEC (imo).

culturally UVA and UNC seem like terrible fits in the SEC, and I‘m not sure why VT isn’t considered more there- yes they are down now but they have a big rabid fanbase and redneck culture that seems perfect.
UNC seems to be a perfect fit for the SEC to me. Huge state school, over-inflated sense of themselves, and more than happy to cheat to win (or not win as it were).

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
UNC seems to be a perfect fit for the SEC to me. Huge state school, over-inflated sense of themselves, and more than happy to cheat to win (or not win as it were).
You’ve got some good points there actually, I always think of them as a cheese and wine crowd based on their Alumni but forget that they have a huge uga-esque sidewalk fan presence in NC and all ove the country too I guess because of their basketball success

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

Those other schools do not have to have their decisions approved by the NC General Assembly.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
He's not an in-your-face guy. He's a negotiator. He's going to get things done behind closed doors. He's not going to do anything in the Press. I don't know if that's going to work or not with today's situation. He's been highly successful everywhere he's been doing what he does, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.
I’m hoping you are correct. I really do. We need our version of Slive and Kramer who combined built the SEC empire who within a decade will dominate football, basketball, and baseball.

MikeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Am I the only one that thinks it’s a good thing that we have the GOR to protect what we are getting? I’ve read a few folks say here and elsewhere that GOR is holding the ACC back.
Without GOR, it’s possible the marquee teams would already have been poached and the rest of us would have to settle for a lot less.

I suppose if you strongly believe that being in ATL is a strong enough pull to get. a Big10 invite that would make a big difference. That seems like a long shot to me. As someone who stayed until 00:00 at the last game last year, I know we don’t qualify on the rabid fan base front.

From a commissioner perspective - it’s hard to win against players with straight flushes when all you have is 3 of a kind.

slugboy

Staff member
Who could UNC, UVA, or fill in the blank beat in the SEC?
Maybe Vandy, Kentucky, or ????
Here's last year's F+ ratings: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/fplus/2021. It's easier to read at Fremeau's personal site https://www.bcftoys.com/2021-fei/.

It's not perfect, but it should give us a ballpark of where last year's ACC teams would line up against SEC teams (and it was a bad year for the ACC, with Clemson being "down").

Notre Dame was #6, in the ballpark of UGA, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, etc.

Wake was #22, NCST was #23, Pitt was #25, and Clemson was #26. They were looking up to Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Auburn, but close and competitive. They're ahead of Florida, Miss St, LSU, and a lot of other good teams.

Miami was #56, UNC was #59, UVA was #65, Syracuse was #72, and VT was #74. That's going to put you a good bit ahead of South Carolina, Missouri, and Vandy in the SEC. They'd be looking up at LSU, but capable of competing.

GT was #97 (better than Vandy, for example).

UNC and UVA probably wouldn't have had banner years in the SEC last year, but a number of teams in the ACC would have been competing at the top of the conference (but behind UGA and Alabama, who were ahead of EVERYBODY).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Am I the only one that thinks it’s a good thing that we have the GOR to protect what we are getting? I’ve read a few folks say here and elsewhere that GOR is holding the ACC back.
Without GOR, it’s possible the marquee teams would already have been poached and the rest of us would have to settle for a lot less.

I suppose if you strongly believe that being in ATL is a strong enough pull to get. a Big10 invite that would make a big difference. That seems like a long shot to me. As someone who stayed until 00:00 at the last game last year, I know we don’t qualify on the rabid fan base front.

From a commissioner perspective - it’s hard to win against players with straight flushes when all you have is 3 of a kind.
The GOR wall is a wall till more than one part of its breaks down .

Also the sooner you know your wife is going to divorce you, the more money you get to keep.

The back slapping at acc media days won't put an SEC or Big 10 quality product on the field at gt.
Commish said he was trying and we need to win for all the athletes the acc benefits. Even brought in patriotic duty to build strong olympic team. He was likely repeating stuff the told the college money reps and TV reps. What I heard was that each school has to get " Institutional " support and find revenues- besides the TV rep.

I wonder if the espn reps think some schools are free loading while others are digging deep to make football exciting.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

That's what I always point out when I talk about GT leaving the SEC or turning down the B1G. The loss in revenue to GT has been staggering (it's in the hundreds of millions). Think of how much breathing room GT would have had, and how many good coaches we couldn't get (think of CPJ's complaint that he couldn't hire the DC he wanted, or having to hire Brian Gregory because of the Hewitt buyout).

GT has been a pretty competitive program for the last three decades without the extra revenue, but think of how much more competitive we could have been across our athletic programs with all the extra revenue. Fear of competing in the SEC and B1G is silly...we beat teams from those conferences without equal money, now imagine GT with money closer to what schools in those conferences get.

It's time for GT fans to expect more from our decision makers, and not just say "Support GT no matter what..."

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
...there's almost nothing. But the medical school and its associated hospitals is really special.

The university has grown considerably since I graduated, so that "almost nothing" could be different right now.
And what would Tech be without Engineering? These scenarios make no sense because UAB DOES have a medical school. If they didn't, they'd prioritize something else.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
...there's almost nothing. But the medical school and its associated hospitals is really special.

The university has grown considerably since I graduated, so that "almost nothing" could be different right now.
Agree it's a phenomenal medical system over there. One of the best in the US. There's just not a lot past that and most of these schools their in comparison to don't have that level of program associated with the University.

Edit: research programs

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
That's what I always point out when I talk about GT leaving the SEC or turning down the B1G. The loss in revenue to GT has been staggering (it's in the hundreds of millions). Think of how much breathing room GT would have had, and how many good coaches we couldn't get (think of CPJ's complaint that he couldn't hire the DC he wanted, or having to hire Brian Gregory because of the Hewitt buyout).

GT has been a pretty competitive program for the last three decades without the extra revenue, but think of how much more competitive we could have been across our athletic programs with all the extra revenue. Fear of competing in the SEC and B1G is silly...we beat teams from those conferences without equal money, now imagine GT with money closer to what schools in those conferences get.

It's time for GT fans to expect more from our decision makers, and not just say "Support GT no matter what..."
Bottom feeder in acc revenues besides tv money
Gt
academic institution total spend $1800 ×10^6.
Football spending $25×10^6.

Auburn
academic instituition total spend $850×10^6
Football spending
$45×10^6.

Football is not as important to gt hill as it is to Auburn.
So do we yell at the football managers or the hill.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Gt revenue
DONATIONS AND TICKET SALES ( THAT US) $ 24 ×10^6 for last 15 years . Some ups (2014) and some recent declines.

VT D and T Sales slight increase 38×10^6

ACC MEDIA Conference distribution @ 15x10^6 pre 2015 and 30×10^6 post 2015.

To go up from here we need help from Hill and we need a major pledge increase from Alums for Donations and Tickets.

Its Up or Out time.