Conference Realignment

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
He's neither, but does believe it should be about student-athletes/ That being said, he understands the big business of college football.
I don’t know man. He had the platform yesterday to explain it and provide a blueprint forward and shine a good light for the ACC. Instead, he became a meme. And this wasn’t done by the SEC press. These cutting comments are from local ACC reporters. Like I said previously it’s gonna get ugly once the schools stop being quiet about it. Right now, everyone is playing nice. Eventually, the students will start being vocal during games and elsewhere. And when teams start the stuff we saw a couple seasons ago the end will be near.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Dissolving the conference might be one option. But the unintended consequence is that GT will have NO local/regional rivals. That's not going to be good for fan interest and I expect we will take a huge hit in attendance and/or any future conference GOR. The more this trends, the more I expect Tech will end up like Tulane in a smaller, less prestigious conference.
I completely disagree with this for two reasons:
  1. while more money is NO guarantee of success, GT has proven in the past that with the right combination we can be competitive (1990). Schools like Vandy have not. So, there's hope...
  2. Visiting team fans will pack Bobby Dodd. Big Ten alumni are here in the ATL in large numbers and I would be surprised if we didn't start selling out every home game (possibly wit a few exceptions like Northwestern)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
True. But a) I have Spectrum and you can't just buy internet service. You have to buy a cable package first and then you can add internet/streaming. b) There is not enough bandwidth available to handle very large events. If 100 million people watched the Super Bowl all on streaming, the system would just shut down. Mine does it already when different programs are on in different rooms.

I'm sure they will address (b) in time. But you can bet cable companies are not going to go down without a fight.
Interesting. I just switched to 5G internet thru Verizon and so far (knock on wood) have seen much higher streaming quality than I got with cable internet and ethernet connections. Only cost me (as a current 5g Verizon customer) $25 per month.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
GOR will go away in 2036 or when the ACC (all members) agrees to end it. At that point some number of teams will depart. A whole lot of things can influence when / if the ACC ends GOR but the number teams deciding to leave is not pertinent unless that number is 15.
If 8 leave the ACC, the conference ceases to exist because at least 7 are required to be a conference in Division I per NCAA rules and 14-8=6.
If the conference ceases to exist, the GOR goes away.
I don't expect that to happen anytime soon, but those are the numbers.
And if 8 full-participation (football included) members go, ND joins them.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Y'all are going to go crazy about all this B-10 and SEC. First there is not one thing we can do about it. ( unless someone on here is a billionaire) . no matter what happens no one on here will know till after it happens. If we don't go to the B-10 or the SEC it won't be the end of the world. There is one thing you can do ( but it won't happen) go to the games stop selling your tixkets to uga fans. The rest is up to Tech don't drive yourself crazy worrying about it, for some that is a very short drive.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
If 8 leave the ACC, the conference ceases to exist because at least 7 are required to be a conference in Division I per NCAA rules and 14-8=6.
If the conference ceases to exist, the GOR goes away.
I don't expect that to happen anytime soon, but those are the numbers.
And if 8 full-participation (football included) members go, ND joins them.
If ACC still wants to exist, they add a couple of teams to replace departing members. This notion that multiple teams will band together and leave without their media rights and then watch the ACC dissolve and get their rights back is crazy. I know people are saying stuff like that, but it’s not plausible. At the very least, it’s a ridiculously prolonged court battle that no one wants.
If GOR goes away before 2036 it will be because all of the current members come up with an agreement to dissolve it.

For what it’s worth, I think the most plausible scenario for ACC GOR ending before 2036 is based upon the notion that the ACC is currently worth a lot more than they are getting and there is a desire to either add new members or otherwise test the waters on renegotiating with ESPN. I don’t know what that looks like, but given that some schools seem to really want out *cough* fsu*cough* there may be some agreement to be reached to let them go if others can be added and increase media shares. Short of that, GOR is designed to do exactly what it’s doing... keep members from leaving.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m not sure I’m following you. Are you saying Comcast and Dish/Direct TV don’t make money providing service? Maybe Cox doesn’t make much money, I don’t know, but industry is littered with some companies succeeding while others don’t. I am not saying there isn’t a market for Streaming. I’m simply saying there is a market for Cable/Satellite services too. I know there are many who love streaming, but there a many who also enjoy consuming content via one provider, one user interface, instant channel changing, one payment plan, etc.

A few years ago cutting the cord was the rage because it was significantly cheaper, however that is slowing down as streaming services become more expensive. Again, I think an equilibrium on how people consume content is much more plausible.
Basically, that’s exactly it .. they (we) do not make money, or marginally very little. And I’m sorry I don’t have numbers in my head as it’s just not something I keep, but that is the state of affairs.

It has everything to do primarily with the cost of content, but equally so with the cost of acquisition, eg the set top boxes, cost to refurb, cost for customer care support, etc. Again, with apologies for perhaps grossly paraphrasing.. but I have heard through team meetings that Cox for one is tired of being raked by the large groups — ESPN, Discovery, etc — dealing the rate increases and inevitable “blame the cable company” for that. And when one considers the low margin to start with — couple this with cord-cutters and reduced subscribers — it is not a particularly profitable product line.

For certain the industry and technology landscape is changing rapidly — but there’s a reason ESPN et al is aggressively promoting streaming services. And the direction is leading to where the cable company may simply provide a conduit and common platform (noting, of course that Cox and Charter and others uses Comcast’s platform today) to content (and a rental fee for a small box), but the billing and arrangements would be made with the content owners. This was the projection relayed to our group at the time by the SVP.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Y'all are going to go crazy about all this B-10 and SEC. First there is not one thing we can do about it. ( unless someone on here is a billionaire) . no matter what happens no one on here will know till after it happens. If we don't go to the B-10 or the SEC it won't be the end of the world. There is one thing you can do ( but it won't happen) go to the games stop selling your tixkets to uga fans. The rest is up to Tech don't drive yourself crazy worrying about it, for some that is a very short drive.
I don’t think anyone is losing sleep over this stuff. It’s just an interesting topic to discuss during a boring off season. We are a 3 win program so no one is expecting anything one way or the other. No matter if we stay or go we are a bottom to mid level program. We are all hoping we get back to Gailey level soon but no one has any hope of anything more under this administration.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
True. But a) I have Spectrum and you can't just buy internet service. You have to buy a cable package first and then you can add internet/streaming. b) There is not enough bandwidth available to handle very large events. If 100 million people watched the Super Bowl all on streaming, the system would just shut down. Mine does it already when different programs are on in different rooms.

I'm sure they will address (b) in time. But you can bet cable companies are not going to go down without a fight.

Alluding to my other posts on this, what I CAN say — because I work in finance overseeing construction activities — is that Cox, Comcast, others are today spending billions upgrading plant specifically to support future expected demand, eg steaming. Perhaps I shouldn’t share numbers.. but as small as Cox is, it is $350M this year alone, and increasing next several years. It is a huge and primary investment for the future for all internet providers, with varying degrees of aggressiveness where Cox is on the high side (which probably helps no one on this board). Though the state of the economy and much lower than expected revenue is already affecting long term plans (I wish I had sold my Comcast stock last year).

How does this relate to B1G expansion? All the TV deal money everyone’s after has downstream effects, re winners and losers.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If ACC still wants to exist, they add a couple of teams to replace departing members. This notion that multiple teams will band together and leave without their media rights and then watch the ACC dissolve and get their rights back is crazy. I know people are saying stuff like that, but it’s not plausible. At the very least, it’s a ridiculously prolonged court battle that no one wants.
If GOR goes away before 2036 it will be because all of the current members come up with an agreement to dissolve it.

For what it’s worth, I think the most plausible scenario for ACC GOR ending before 2036 is based upon the notion that the ACC is currently worth a lot more than they are getting and there is a desire to either add new members or otherwise test the waters on renegotiating with ESPN. I don’t know what that looks like, but given that some schools seem to really want out *cough* fsu*cough* there may be some agreement to be reached to let them go if others can be added and increase media shares. Short of that, GOR is designed to do exactly what it’s doing... keep members from leaving.
Maybe so. I don't expect the GOR or the conference to fall apart any time soon but was suggesting a scenario in which it could possibly happen.
But like you said, it may be far-fetched. At any rate, it's one for the lawyers...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Maybe so. I don't expect the GOR or the conference to fall apart any time soon but was suggesting a scenario in which it could possibly happen.
But like you said, it may be far-fetched. At any rate, it's one for the lawyers...
Who pays the lawyers?

As the delays and depositions proceed , wont the lawyers will take the fees as long as you pay them.? Could be many years before all the appeals .

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I completely disagree with this for two reasons:
  1. while more money is NO guarantee of success, GT has proven in the past that with the right combination we can be competitive (1990). Schools like Vandy have not. So, there's hope...
  2. Visiting team fans will pack Bobby Dodd. Big Ten alumni are here in the ATL in large numbers and I would be surprised if we didn't start selling out every home game (possibly wit a few exceptions like Northwestern)
1990?

CEB

Helluva Engineer
It seems as if everything is “one for the lawyers” these days, doesn’t it?

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
While it’s interesting beer talk (or coffee talk) to discuss 8 teams leaving the ACC, the driver is marquee matchups

Clemson-Miami fits that bill. Clemson-Texas fits that bill.

Does FSU-Auburn? Five years ago, yes. Today, I’d say “no”

Are there 8 teams in the ACC that provide marquee matchups? No

Clemson, yes
Miami, less so, but plausible
UNC, FSU, VT? Not lately, but UNC is the closest

I cannot understand the love for UNC in recent years. They have had one outstanding year in the last two decades and over that time their record has not been nearly as as good as GT under CPJ.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, but I come on this site to fantasize and nurture my illusions.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know man. He had the platform yesterday to explain it and provide a blueprint forward and shine a good light for the ACC. Instead, he became a meme. And this wasn’t done by the SEC press. These cutting comments are from local ACC reporters. Like I said previously it’s gonna get ugly once the schools stop being quiet about it. Right now, everyone is playing nice. Eventually, the students will start being vocal during games and elsewhere. And when teams start the stuff we saw a couple seasons ago the end will be near.
He's not an in-your-face guy. He's a negotiator. He's going to get things done behind closed doors. He's not going to do anything in the Press. I don't know if that's going to work or not with today's situation. He's been highly successful everywhere he's been doing what he does, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.