Conference Realignment

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Question? If ND goes to the BIG, do they have to abide by the GOR for the sports they participate in with ACC? What is their deal?
Pretty sure the answer to that is "yes", but the only sports that might amount to any $$$ is likely Mens Basketball, and the difference in TV revenue will dwarf that payout.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
They don't care about Dallas and Atlanta watch and see if ND and Oregon don't join before the end of the year. than look for SEC to raid the ACC ( while they sit and their backend thinking they are safe) And Tech will be on the outside looking in and I would guess the Hill will be happy.
Do you believe the ACC will stand aside while ND violates the terms of their contract with the ACC?

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Do you believe the ACC will stand aside while ND violates the terms of their contract with the ACC?
Honestly, I hope Clemson, FSU, Miami, GT, UNC, NC State, UVA, and VT are working with them to get into the SEC/B1G and just end the ACC at this point. There's no avenue to catch up financially other than kicking out WF, Duke, BC, and Syracuse and adding ND, Oregon, Washington, and Stanford. That second sentence isn't going to happen.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, I hope Clemson, FSU, Miami, GT, UNC, NC State, UVA, and VT are working with them to get into the SEC/B1G and just end the ACC at this point. There's no avenue to catch up financially other than kicking out WF, Duke, BC, and Syracuse and adding ND, Oregon, Washington, and Stanford. That second sentence isn't going to happen.
Managers build organizations and protect them. It will not be easy for the ACC office to dissolve itself. The member schools will have to do it.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Don't believe SMU is AAU school. I'm guessing and I mean guessing if the BIG takes from ACC it will be GT, UNC and maybe UVA. I say maybe with UVA because they already have MD in that DC, Baltimore area. They would probably like to have something in FL like Miami but there's only one AAU school there, U. FL. Don't believe they would be leaving SEC.
I have to believe BIG is interested in Bay Area of CA, 6th largest media mkt, so do they take Cal Berkeley and Stanford? People keep talking about Oregon, but that is not a large mkt, Portland 25th largest, but maybe U. WA possibility, Seattle-Tacoma 14th largest and U. WA is an AAU member. Phoenix 12th largest but ASU not an AAU school. U AZ in Tucson, that's small media mkt. but they are an AAU school. Colorado might be a possibility, they are 17th largest mkt. being in greater Denver area and AAU member.
Yes, I think the Bay Area would be a target if ND goes to the B1G.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Of course they will stand aside. Give me any example where the ACC grew a pair of balls and stood up? Remember how they allowed an ACC team to be pushed out of the Baseball Final Four last year by the SEC? I do. Not a peep from our conference. Remember when the Orange Bowl made back door deals to get Notre Dame over an undefeated Georgia Tech? I do. Not a peep from the ACC office. The ACC hasn‘t had real leadership in over 40 years. Meanwhile, the SEC and BIG have exploded with money and resources. ND had already run roughshod over the ACC league office for years and will laugh when they leave.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Managers build organizations and protect them. It will not be easy for the ACC office to dissolve itself. The member schools will have to do it.
fify
Managers build organizations and protect them. It will not be easy for the ACC office to will not dissolve itself. The member schools will have to do it.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Of course they will stand aside. Give me any example where the ACC grew a pair of balls and stood up? Remember how they allowed an ACC team to be pushed out of the Baseball Final Four last year by the SEC? I do. Not a peep from our conference. Remember when the Orange Bowl made back door deals to get Notre Dame over an undefeated Georgia Tech? I do. Not a peep from the ACC office. The ACC hasn‘t had real leadership in over 40 years. Meanwhile, the SEC and BIG have exploded with money and resources. ND had already run roughshod over the ACC league office for years and will laugh when they leave.
It is a lot easier to hold someone to the terms of a contract than to influence someone over whom you have no control or contractual relationship. Yes, the ACC ignored (at least publicly) decisions that hurt member teams. But we do not know what actually happened.

Your level of pessimism and negativity seem unhealthy. The ACC as a conference is looking pretty good right now. While there is talk about defections to the SEC and the B1G, nothing seems likely at this point. It would take a massive group effort to get six or more universities to undo the ACC GOR and exit fee. I don't see that happening. And no one is bolting on their own.

Will the ACC become part of the 2nd tier of college football? Probably. But most of us are there already. Who in the ACC, other than Clemson, is actually playing for the national championship? No one. We are all trying to get ourselves into a bowl game that has very little significance other than institutional pride and the chance to hold practice sessions for a few more weeks.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
It is a lot easier to hold someone to the terms of a contract than to influence someone over whom you have no control or contractual relationship. Yes, the ACC ignored (at least publicly) decisions that hurt member teams. But we do not know what actually happened.

Your level of pessimism and negativity seem unhealthy. The ACC as a conference is looking pretty good right now. While there is talk about defections to the SEC and the B1G, nothing seems likely at this point. It would take a massive group effort to get six or more universities to undo the ACC GOR and exit fee. I don't see that happening. And no one is bolting on their own.

Will the ACC become part of the 2nd tier of college football? Probably. But most of us are there already. Who in the ACC, other than Clemson, is actually playing for the national championship? No one. We are all trying to get ourselves into a bowl game that has very little significance other than institutional pride and the chance to hold practice sessions for a few more weeks.
I believe this will all settle back down for 10 years. ACC isn’t touchable on a major level until the value of grant of rights is more quantifiable. That doesn’t mean gone, but it certainly needs to be closer to gone. I also think there is good reason the BIG is not taking more Pac teams now, and it isn’t because they are waiting on Notre Dame. The Pac teams remaining aren’t valuable to them... at least not as valuable as some other options out there. Who’s to say what those other options are at this point, but if other Pac teams made sense, they’d take them now. Especially before they put in place another safeguard to overcome.
Interested to see if the SEC moves on a Pac team. I doubt it, since their move was TX / OU. I think both conferences are waiting for ACC teams to become viable / available.
As for ACC, I am not sure how viable the idea of dissolving the conference or grant of rights is... both concepts were intended to prevent dissension so it’s had to imagine dissension will be their undoing. That’s why I think this will settle down again for several years... but I admittedly know nothing.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It has already been reported that Washington and Oregon had both already reached out to the B10 and it sounds like the B10 basically said we see your interest, but we are holding right now (likely for ND to make some decision).

It will not shock me to see either/both of those schools in the B10, but I don't think anything imminent. The USC and UCLA were imminent because it was important financially for USC and UCLA to know by June 30th if the B10 would accept them.

The timings on these will generally revolve around with there are contractual reasons for this to happen.

I'm sure B10 would be interested in having knowledge of what ND will do before they finalize their TV contract, but other than that i'm not sure there is any big rush.
There was a report that Apple approached B10 after the USC/UCLA with interest in broadcast rights.

I also find it amusing how fans egos are so tied up in being in the Top 2 conferences. Even if GT was to end up in the SEC or the B10 what do you think it will be from an athletic standpoint, especially football. Realistically GT would be Vandy or NW. A program that collects alot of money, but doesn't have overall top of league football programs because the other programs - with much larger alumni and fanbases pull in alot more ancilliary revenue and therefore can outspend most of the schools in the conferences. If as a fan you just want to be able to say you are in the biggest conference with the biggest payouys, even though most years your football team is likely sub-.500, then by all means you will be happy. If you want to actually compete for football anything and have a real shot, you will not be.

I'm sure i'm in a minority, but i'd rather be with schools that had similar profiles and similar beliefs that you could legitimately compete with. So i'm happy with the idea of a more academic focused conference as I think that fits GT's profile.

Fans also have no clue the differences in dollars we are talking about. Even with these huge payouts being discussed they are pennies compared to the academic side. Say you are getting $100MM TV contact.
GT's academic revenue last year was over $2.1 Billion (GTRI by itself was almost $650MM). So compared to the academic side you are still only talking about revenue that is 5% of the academic side revenue. So you wonder why GT doesn't have a huge focus on it - it is all about money.

I think one of the other articles I posted mentioned what it appeared B10 was interested it. It was largely - large state schools that are 'the school' in that state, schools with well known 'brands', schools with large fanbases in large TV markets, and schools that are large research universities (largely those in the AAU) as it adds to their huge conference academic consortium.
GT doesn't really meet any of those criteria, other than the last one and to a lesser extent #3. GT is not a large state school - it's undergraduate population is 58th of the 69 schools (plus ND) that will be in the P5 by 2023. It's not 'the state school'. It doesn't necessarily bring you a large market as having so many of its alumni move out of state limits its impact in Atlanta in terms of fan size. GT is in the Top half of P5 schools in terms of research dollars and endowment.

Washington would seem like an eventual likely school for them - the state school and the Seattle market. Oregon with Nike simply has a big brand so that might eventually work out and it is the state school. But not in a major market.

If the ACC does eventually get raided, and if it does I think that is probably still a few years away when it is in the financial interest of the B10 and/or SEC to do so, I think UNC will be the most attractive school to the B10, and possibly to the SEC which does not have a NC School. For branding reasons there will be some interest in Clemson, FSU, and Miami but I think they would actually come behind UNC.

Alot of talk about the GoR. Assuming you need 7 schools to bail to make that work, it is hard to see 7 ACC schools having legitimate interest from the SEC and B10.
They are not going to what to grow forever in terms of membership. They will only want to grow to the point of maximizing per team pay out. They are not going to add schools that dilute the per team payout. That likely limits how many schools they will be interested in.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For those thinking it will be 'easy' for any school to get a bid to the Big 2 this should be somewhat sobering.

"A Big Ten athletic director told me on Friday that the television market of Seattle and the brand of Oregon are attractive selling points. He didn’t think they brought nearly enough value to cut them in with a full share of the conference’s $1 billion-a-year deal with FOX. But the Big Ten’s expansion is being fueled by FOX and it’s possible the network might covet more inventory in the Pacific Time Zone.'

So you have at least 1 B10 AD saying that, yeah Washington and Oregon (the next 2 most valuable programs in the P12) are attractive, but probably not attractive enough.
That just goes to show there are not really very many schools that are going to have options to move up.

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Hello GT faithful. Thought about the ACC and you guys as this thing broke over the past few days.

Here's a good Saturday Tradition article that sums up pretty well how we got here... https://saturdaytradition.com/big-t...dnt-have-to-reach-this-point-but-here-we-are/

Pretty clear there will be a grand experiment long-term as to whether whatever replaces this "version" of structure of institutional and athletic participation in the collegiate game of football...that has been essentially stable for over 100 years...will actually get the clicks and eyeballs from the next two generations of fans to pay for all this. The trend away from butts in the seats as an economic factor is continuing to advance with actual attendance going by the wayside.

As has been noted in earlier posts, Tech is an AAU institution that would fit well in the traditional vision of the B1G, which so far is still valuing AAU and $$$ new schools to the conference can bring. My own view is that having another AAU urban university, located in the heart of a thriving metropolitan area...also in the heart of the SEC...in the B1G would be a good thing. There's also a strong case for GT to be in the SEC too.

Key is to have either the B1G or SEC Froggie come a courtin sooner than later for Tech...if that's part of the instutition's vision.

Good luck in the fall. Billd.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Hello GT faithful. Thought about the ACC and you guys as this thing broke over the past few days.

Here's a good Saturday Tradition article that sums up pretty well how we got here... https://saturdaytradition.com/big-t...dnt-have-to-reach-this-point-but-here-we-are/

Pretty clear there will be a grand experiment long-term as to whether whatever replaces this "version" of structure of institutional and athletic participation in the collegiate game of football...that has been essentially stable for over 100 years...will actually get the clicks and eyeballs from the next two generations of fans to pay for all this. The trend away from butts in the seats as an economic factor is continuing to advance with actual attendance going by the wayside.

As has been noted in earlier posts, Tech is an AAU institution that would fit well in the traditional vision of the B1G, which so far is still valuing AAU and $$$ new schools to the conference can bring. My own view is that having another AAU urban university, located in the heart of a thriving metropolitan area...also in the heart of the SEC...in the B1G would be a good thing. There's also a strong case for GT to be in the SEC too.

Key is to have either the B1G or SEC Froggie come a courtin sooner than later for Tech...if that's part of the instutition's vision.

Good luck in the fall. Billd.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Some of us are coveting membership in the B1G in a bad way right now and regretting that we let this option slip away from us a while back.

The B1G makes sense for several reasons:

1) We have seen in the past that there are high level recruits in the south who would actually prefer to play in that conference but sometimes the cost, distance and weather holds them back. 2) Tech fits better with more academically minded institutions. 3) Tech is going to have less and less money for other sports without the cash infusion a conference like the B1G can supply. 4) If the ACC loses quality members and/or folds Tech will have few good options for growing its sports programs. 5) A lot of us know midwesterners in the south who would be more likely to support Tech if “we were in a real conference” (like my wife - Michigan) 😊 6) We would likely have more than the current one game a year that is a sell out. 7) Some of us are tired of trying to make rivalries out of schools that we find uninteresting whereas at least 7 of the teams in the B1G would almost instantly be appealing to play.

Just saying.

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks Nordeast (that's how someone from the old side of Minneapolis would say it).

As for this list... "7) Some of us are tired of trying to make rivalries out of schools that we find uninteresting whereas at least 7 of the teams in the B1G would almost instantly be appealing to play..." hoping the Gophers might be on that list...:p