Conference Realignment

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Let's hope the ACC can pull something off. Might need to try and raid the leftovers of the PAC / Big12. Then maybe you can convince ND to join, especially if Stanford is in the league
I think someone posted a graph on here not long ago showing the SEC and BIG 10 are far and away the top conferences by revenue. Unfortunately, it only helps a conference to expand if the schools they bring in will increase the average revenue per school or create more lucrative tv deals. Because of that, we will have to tie ourselves to a revenue-generator for us to be a viable option for another conference to scoop up. Our best chance is that the ACC expands (West Virginia and Notre Dame as full members maybe?). Notre Dame, if they can get over their tv deal, would actually benefit from full inclusion into the ACC both for revenue and playoff odds.

I think we are on the outside looking in regarding the arms race. That doesn't mean we can't carve out a nice niche for ourselves and have success, I think we can.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Let's hope the ACC can pull something off. Might need to try and raid the leftovers of the PAC / Big12. Then maybe you can convince ND to join, especially if Stanford is in the league
Travel would be tough on the teams, IMO. The Falcons were in the NFC West at one point and I always felt that the traveling hurt them.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
will be interesting to see if this is true since one of the key points of the 3 conference alliance was to not raid each other's teams

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We are about to get left out in the cold. We might have to start a nerd conference for schools with higher academic requirements (Vandy, Duke, Wake, etc.).
The B1G is looking at TV money. I am not sure anyone steals the Atlanta market from the SEC, but the only conference that could is the B1G. What if GT and USC are in the B1G? We are two of NDs biggest national rivalries. Plus the B1G teams they had to drop to play in the ACC. ND is going to be forced to join a conference in the new playoff system. I do not think it will be the ACC.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I got laughed at and mocked on several boards for saying we were going to rue the day we turned the B1G down. We have now royally screwed up twice, once by leaving the SEC and the 2nd by saying no to B1G.

There is no scenario in which the ACC is anything more than the 3rd conference. Even with ND joining, it would be number 3. Every big ACC and P12 school is/should be trying to join one of the big 2 conferences.

GT won't be a part of either of those. Welcome to what the P5 fans have felt for years.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Yall acting like the B1G won't still want to add a team in this market. We'll probably have the chance to join if we still want it.
I hope you’re right. The B1G may decide that Clemson is close enough to the Atlanta market and go after them instead.

WraleighWreck

Georgia Tech Fan
This makes total sense. USC hires a big time coach for huge $, have an obvious huge pot of NIL $ and buy the best transfer class. Now they want to join one of the two big $ leagues asap so they can start playing big time games at 3pm EST on saturdays to reintroduce themselves to the overall CFB viewing market. Dragging little brother along for good measure to maintain their main rivalry. I would bet this move has been planned for a while, even before they decided to throw $$$s at new coach. Seems like USC has finally figured it out now they can legally pay players. Next step is the ask for Reggie bush’s heisman to be returned.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Feels inevitable that sec and big ten will raid the acc. Some will get left out. Better hope big ten wants Atlanta and our academics.
Don’t forget we have TONS of research dollars to join in with the consortium the original B1G and Uchicago already have established. We are also an AAU school or whatever the other original criteria was.