Conference Realignment

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
That would be a dream come true for me. Penn State and Ga Tech football are my 2 favorite sports. I’m Ga Tech first in basketball and baseball but I have to admit nothing comes before Penn State football and I also love the Penn State wrestling program. Ga Tech would be a good fit for the BIG 10
Wishing is our best hope.

Donations and Tickets sales shows the amount of alumni actual love of athletics) $mm
2016. PSU = 60 Gt = 25
2022. PSU = 85 Gt = 25.

Money from alumni says G5 unless a miracle!

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Will have to see how all the realignment plays out over the next few years first, but it is appearing that the BIG and the Big 12 will be National conferences and the SEC a regional conference. I'm just wondering if the SEC survives 15-20 years from now being a regional conference. I could see FL and TX, maybe A&M becoming BIG members down the line. Not saying it happens but just not sure a regional conference survives past 20 years. I said this to a media guy about a year back and he agreed with me, at least the SEC survival part. Not sure rural higher education institutions survive during this same 20 year period. If they survive it will be with substantial change IMO.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Since they are close to me, I go to a couple of E Carolina games each year. The atmosphere is more like an NFL game than a college game. Even when the opponent is someone like SMU. I get tired of all the promotions and slick ads on the jumbo board. And the $10 hot dogs.
Our concession prices are absurd but unfortunately we have done a poor job of streamlining the purchase process so we can't take advantage of profits from pure volume of purchase. I'm going to try mobile orders through the Georgia Tech app this season and see if it helps but GTAA would make more money if concessions were affordable and delivered efficiently like Mercedes-Benz Stadium. At GTWBB games, they have one concession open behind 105. I've never waited in the halftime line but I imagine folks are missing close to the entire 3rd quarter waiting to get food...that's quite the disincentive to spend money.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Never heard of this guy, but this is interesting. GT/UNC/UVA are not a surprise as they are/were highly coveted by the B1G at one point and all three had an invite in 2012.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I was sitting on my deck yesterday afternoon drinking beer with my UNC neighbor and he made an interesting point. The SEC and B1G schools are soon going to be getting almost $100 million per year from media contracts. Notre Dame is negotiating to get similar numbers. The ACC, Big12 and PAC-12 cannot continue to compete with the SEC and B1G in the revenue sports with that level of disparity. The GOR becomes an anvil sinking the ACC boat, not the life raft keeping everyone safe. At some point those three conferences have to accept their new degraded status or agree to make changes. The most obvious change is the media contracts will have to be redone. Today, the PAC-12 and the Big-12 simply have no real star power left. Both lost their most valuable members. The ACC would be in a better position if it did not have 12 more years with the ESPN deal and the GOR.

Clemson and FSU and Miami and UNC are not going to stand aside while their teams are relegated to a lower status in football. It becomes a matter of survival and members will do whatever it takes to survive when there is so much money at stake. He said he knows there is something happening within the ACC to address this issue. The ACC poohbahs agree that Vandy should not have more football money than Clemson.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Wishing is our best hope.

Donations and Tickets sales shows the amount of alumni actual love of athletics) $mm
2016. PSU = 60 Gt = 25
2022. PSU = 85 Gt = 25.

Money from alumni says G5 unless a miracle!
What is the donations per alumni? I dont think there are nearly enough of us compared to PSU. Plus that previous "coach" really destroy a significant amount of fan support.

Posts like this really don't tell the complete story and I tire of all this bash the fan base when in fact I am surprised how much still remains after all the incompetence at every level of GTAA and head coach starting with big foot and even before that.

It is going to take time and wins to turn this ship around

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Will have to see how all the realignment plays out over the next few years first, but it is appearing that the BIG and the Big 12 will be National conferences and the SEC a regional conference. I'm just wondering if the SEC survives 15-20 years from now being a regional conference. I could see FL and TX, maybe A&M becoming BIG members down the line. Not saying it happens but just not sure a regional conference survives past 20 years. I said this to a media guy about a year back and he agreed with me, at least the SEC survival part. Not sure rural higher education institutions survive during this same 20 year period. If they survive it will be with substantial change IMO.
The real question is what will college football even look like in 20 years. I could see large swaths of this country doing away with high school football by then. We have already seen huge swings in participation away from football into other sports such as rugby and soccer. We just saw which regions are willing to lock their people down for “safety” and the concussion issue will continue to give ammo to those who want to get rid of the sport. The SEC will be fine because this region will be the last to give in. USC and UCLA see it as they are living it which is one of the reasons why they jumped from from the dying PAC 12. Let’s face it, outside of the southeast college football is just not that big outside of a few pockets in Texas and the mid west. The TV contracts are a lagging indicator. ESPN/Disney are already regretting those contracts and ESPN may not even exist in its current form in 20 years. I don’t have any answers but I definitely see the trend and believe this sport is in trouble over the next 20-30 years from both outside forces and inside forces.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Clemson and FSU and Miami and UNC are not going to stand aside while their teams are relegated to a lower status in football. It becomes a matter of survival and members will do whatever it takes to survive when there is so much money at stake. He said he knows there is something happening within the ACC to address this issue. The ACC poohbahs agree that Vandy should not have more football money than Clemson.

I wrote about that over a year ago. Those teams see themselves on the level of 'Bama/UGA/Ohio State/Michigan/Notre Dame/Etc. Their fanbases want to compete at the highest levels. Those teams see the writing on the wall: $50 million+/- revenue gaps between the SEC/B1G teams and the ACC. It' will grow even BIGGER in the next 5-10 years. There is ZERO way ACC teams can compete on the national level with those teams once the revenue of the other teams are 2-3 times more than what ACC gets. GOR is an anchor that will pull every ACC down until 2036. There is ZERO way the ACC remains intact after 2036.

I've been thinking about GT's sports future a LOT lately. It's funny, and I know I keep bringing it up, but to think GT's future should already be assured but our leadership bungled it multiple times. I also think about how the ACC could have been dismantled a LOT earlier...and it's highly probable that GT staying in the ACC in 2012 saved it from an earlier demise. There's no way the ACC gets what it gets today in TV money had GT left and taken the Atlanta market with it to the B1G. I also think a team like UVA and UNC thinks a LOT harder about staying in the ACC had GT left knowing the media contract without the Atlanta market moves millions of dollars per year towards the B1G and off the ACC's books.

All speculation of course. What's not speculation is the B1G and SEC sharks are circling looking to pick off the ACC seals as soon the tide rises again and drowns our conference.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
What is the donations per alumni? I dont think there are nearly enough of us compared to PSU. Plus that previous "coach" really destroy a significant amount of fan support.

Posts like this really don't tell the complete story and I tire of all this bash the fan base when in fact I am surprised how much still remains after all the incompetence at every level of GTAA and head coach starting with big foot and even before that.

It is going to take time and wins to turn this ship around
The gt elite academics caused more millionaires per grad?

For years I have posted this several times TAM grads donate at 3 times the gt grads PER CAPITA. There are 3 times as many grads.

Angel and Batt are on it.
Lets go coach Key.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
One of my favorite books - I've cited it here several times - is Duncan Watt's Everything is Obvious (Once You Know the Answer). This great book is a pean to the general unpredictably of human institutions. I see the points everyone is making above. I know that NIL and treating scholarship athletes as employees will change a lot about how college sports in general and football in particular will work. But let's look back to 1984. Would anybody then have predicted that Miami would dominate college football like it did under Jimmy Johnson? Some, perhaps, but I sure didn't. Or that the kind of play Da U established would be penalized rather then becoming the standard? That's what I thought at the time, though I strongly disapproved.

There's a lot of inertia in human organizations, inertia that even money can't do much about. Further, people don't always pay attention to financial interests, even when they thing they should. Finally, a lot of what happens in sports like football is a matter os sheer bum luck as much as anything else. I will wait this out and, to be frank, I have no idea at all how it will play out.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
One of my favorite books - I've cited it here several times - is Duncan Watt's Everything is Obvious (Once You Know the Answer). This great book is a pean to the general unpredictably of human institutions. I see the points everyone is making above. I know that NIL and treating scholarship athletes as employees will change a lot about how college sports in general and football in particular will work. But let's look back to 1984. Would anybody then have predicted that Miami would dominate college football like it did under Jimmy Johnson? Some, perhaps, but I sure didn't. Or that the kind of play Da U established would be penalized rather then becoming the standard? That's what I thought at the time, though I strongly disapproved.

There's a lot of inertia in human organizations, inertia that even money can't do much about. Further, people don't always pay attention to financial interests, even when they thing they should. Finally, a lot of what happens in sports like football is a matter os sheer bum luck as much as anything else. I will wait this out and, to be frank, I have no idea at all how it will play out.
Hmmm. I know what you mean. Back in 1984 could anyone have predicted Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, USC, Oklahoma, UGA, Michigan would still be any good in 2023? I’m just having fun. As so many things change, it amazing how many things stay the same.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Hmmm. I know what you mean. Back in 1984 could anyone have predicted Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, USC, Oklahoma, UGA, Michigan would still be any good in 2023? I’m just having fun. As so many things change, it amazing how many things stay the same.
To be fair they took a widely differing set of approaches to gets there.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Took a look back, just for funzies. BYU won the AP poll that year. 'Bama, Michigan, Ugag, and Clemson weren't in the top 20.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Took a look back, just for funzies. BYU won the AP poll that year. 'Bama, Michigan, Ugag, and Clemson weren't in the top 20.

It's interesting that Clemson is thrown out along with Bama, Michigan, et al as a power. They are a flash in the pan since Dabo. Dabo lost to Spurrier 5 years in a row, and somewhere after the second or third loss he knew he had two choices: cheat or get fired. Suddenly, 4 and 5 star players started going to a small town in the corner of SC with a very low black population to play for a guy whose previous job was a position coach and his job before that was in commercial real estate. Why? NIL money before there was NIL.

Now, with NIL, Clemson is under the same rules as everyone else, and you have already seen their recruiting slip a bit. The still have the reputation for putting DL in the league, but they are on a downward trend. The rise of South Carolina isn't helping Clemson, and South Carolina can compete with Clemson all day long with NIL $$.

Over the last 35 years FSU is the ACC team that is a more traditional power, and they are rising again.