Conference Realignment

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I am sure of a lot of things that won't be determined for decades. I have been wrong before, and I'd love to be wrong about this, but I am fairly certain we will be in the ACC, or some version of it, in 2036 and beyond.

I've outlined why the Atlanta market will be a big piece of the B1G's expansion plans...which means GT will be a target.

But let's revisit this in 2036 (maybe sooner).

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Dude has $15M and a big ol chip on his shoulder... maybe we can offer him a meal plan in lieu of salary and throw in some nice bonuses for ACC champ game appearances and beating Clem and UGA. Hook him up with a sick retro Tech hoodie... if anyone saw his Husker hoodie on the night of his ultimate demise, you get it. If I were a Nebraska fan, I’d have one!
It’s a solid business plan... what could go wrong?
Frost’s #1 play here is to enter the unpaid legion of Satan protégés and try to work his way back into the game like all the others. He could go down a level to a directional school or something also, but if I was him I’d beg for a back row seat in Satan’s room.

MikeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Frost should have not left UCF. He had a really good situation there. Sometimes the grass is not always greener. UCF could get a chance with the new 12 team championship format and prove how good they are on the field. Nebraska just wasn't a good fit for him. Maybe he just had a magical one year run at UCF with lesser competition.
I don’t think this is a realistic expectation. Any coach would embrace the challenge and opportunity to go to a school with the real chance to make it like Nebraska rather than UCF. And it’s his alma mater. Not to mention the 150% pay raise. For an extra $3M per year? You’d have to be crazy or scared.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
I've outlined why the Atlanta market will be a big piece of the B1G's expansion plans...which means GT will be a target.

But let's revisit this in 2036 (maybe sooner).
Do you have a link to said outline, I would be interested to read it. I may have already, just can’t recall with all the other mumbo jumbo I have seen in the topic.

I ask because I was discussing this with a mutt fan elsewhere, and his take was without GT bringing raw dollar power it ain’t happening, but as we saw with the UCLA inclusion to B1G that’s not what B1G is aiming toward. Seems B1G may be looking to add geographically as well - to make a more national footprint, at least that was my view at the time. None of this has changed to date. But his understanding of expansion is from the SEC perspective, which is $$$ and nothing else. Understandable from his perspective, but from mine, how much would FOX or ESPN pay out with a national footprint rather than just a Midwest?

Anyway, link, please?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Say it with me. That ship has sailed and we missed the boat.
Good thing ships usually return to the same ports again and again ;)

That wasn't the question. Nice troll, though.
Serious question, what about okiemon's post do you think was trolling? He answered your question with what I would guess is the response the majority of Tech fans would have or at least agree with. He's not baiting you into anything, nothing he said is unreasonable or blatantly untrue.

You seem to have become very defensive of the current coaching staff in recent months and taking a lot of things as bigger slights than they are, which is odd because I recall you saying you weren't a big fan of Geoff - perhaps I'm misremembering though.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Do you have a link to said outline, I would be interested to read it. I may have already, just can’t recall with all the other mumbo jumbo I have seen in the topic.

I ask because I was discussing this with a mutt fan elsewhere, and his take was without GT bringing raw dollar power it ain’t happening, but as we saw with the UCLA inclusion to B1G that’s not what B1G is aiming toward. Seems B1G may be looking to add geographically as well - to make a more national footprint, at least that was my view at the time. None of this has changed to date. But his understanding of expansion is from the SEC perspective, which is $$$ and nothing else. Understandable from his perspective, but from mine, how much would FOX or ESPN pay out with a national footprint rather than just a Midwest?

Anyway, link, please?

Post #1245

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Serious question, what about okiemon's post do you think was trolling? He answered your question with what I would guess is the response the majority of Tech fans would have or at least agree with. He's not baiting you into anything, nothing he said is unreasonable or blatantly untrue.

You seem to have become very defensive of the current coaching staff in recent months and taking a lot of things as bigger slights than they are, which is odd because I recall you saying you weren't a big fan of Geoff - perhaps I'm misremembering though.

No. He didn't answer the question I asked. The question I asked was this:

App St beat Texas A&M. Think we could be competitive in the SEC west routinely?

His answer was:
Under our current regime, no. We wouldn’t beat App State either.

That answer has nothing to do with whether we would be competitive in the SEC west and was, IMO, designed to be a snarky shot at the current coaching staff.

As you said, I am NOT a big fan of CGC. You are not misremembering that. What I am, however, is rational and fair. I said from the very beginning that any coach GT hired to replace the option with a more NFL offense would need minimum 4-5 years to do it in order to rebuild the roster depth needed to compete at the P5 level. While I would have preferred a different coach to be hired in 2018, I will support CGC until that 4-5 year window is up. If we see improvement enough this year, I will support another year. To me, that's 5 wins and the eyeball test (my eyeballs) that we look competent even when overmatched. If we win 4 or less, I am fine with him being replaced.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
No. He didn't answer the question I asked. The question I asked was this:

His answer was:

That answer has nothing to do with whether we would be competitive in the SEC west and was, IMO, designed to be a snarky shot at the current coaching staff.
I still don't see how that's not a perfectly legitimate answer to your question. It may not have been the answer you wanted, but he absolutely answered your question. Perhaps you think the only acceptable answer is "Not now, not ever", but his answer wasn't trolling.

Don't build yourself up too much, you aren't infallible.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Frost’s #1 play here is to enter the unpaid legion of Satan protégés and try to work his way back into the game like all the others. He could go down a level to a directional school or something also, but if I was him I’d beg for a back row seat in Satan’s room.
I really couldn’t care less about Frost’s future endeavors unless somehow he did land here. My post is totally tongue in cheek though... no way that’s happening. You’re right though; it’s coach rehab for him now.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I still don't see how that's not a perfectly legitimate answer to your question. It may not have been the answer you wanted, but he absolutely answered your question. Perhaps you think the only acceptable answer is "Not now, not ever", but his answer wasn't trolling.

Don't build yourself up too much, you aren't infallible.

Because I asked specifically if we could be competitive in the SEC west, not if we could beat App St. He didn't answer the question at all.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Because I asked specifically if we could be competitive in the SEC west, not if we could beat App St. He didn't answer the question at all.
He is literally saying that under the current regime, no we could not compete in the SEC west. Maybe he thinks with the right coaches and players we could, who knows. He then added that we wouldn't beat App State either. That is absolutely answering your question in his first sentence, I don't know how you aren't seeing that.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think this is a realistic expectation. Any coach would embrace the challenge and opportunity to go to a school with the real chance to make it like Nebraska rather than UCF. And it’s his alma mater. Not to mention the 150% pay raise. For an extra $3M per year? You’d have to be crazy or scared.
No offense to Nebraska but Orlando is a much better location. UCF was moving up in the football world, great recruiting state, low academic requirements, no state income taxes, and able to play a much less strenuous schedule. Lots of reasons to stay and keep building. Uncle Sam takes a big bite out of those millions as well.

airspace

Georgia Tech Fan

Post #1245

First, I am an OSU alum/fan. Had a nephew graduate from the GT Phd program (thus my link).

I agree with most of what Techster has written. To be honest, I have no links within the Big Ten, just what I have put together since the 1980's on what the Big Ten has done on expansion.

Unlike the SEC, the Big Ten is am Academic/Athletic conference, with Academics first. Go read their history on how and why they were formed.

President Johnson had an interview with a local station during Notre Dame week and and talked expansion. Go to the 30 second mark where they talk expansion. At the 1:30 mark, she stresses that they want Universities in the Big Ten committed to Academics and a commitment to Athletics. That is what they are looking for. The question you have to ask, does Georgia Tech fit this?

Their athletics might be down a little. But they have the potential. But more importantly, they fit the bill Academically. And that is what the Big Ten Presidents want. Remember, they are the ones making the decision on who is invited and who is not. Academics, AAU and research mean a lot to Big Ten Presidents.

I would tell you to look up AAU on wikipedia (I know wikipedia) BUT there is a nugget in there about how college presidents view membership in AAU vs not. How it separates them from the non members and how special it is to them to be in the club.

To go with what Techster said. When USC/UCLA were added, that day President Johnson (Stanford grad) stated in an interview that the Big Ten was not done expanding. Most people thought that was in reference to Notre Dame. I don't, I believe she was addressing more partners on the west coast for USC/UCLA. Oregon, Washington, Stanford and Cal are ALL AAU members. Remember how important that is to Big Ten presidents.

Again with the last few weeks, Oregon and Washington had meetings in Chicago with Big Ten reps.

I do believe when the time comes, the Big Ten will make a move on several ACC schools. Most likely, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia Tech and maybe one or two others.

I believe that the Big Ten is trying to create something more than an Athletic Conference.

And for those who say Georgia Tech does not measure up. I would say they do. To use a baseball analogy. Not everyone is a home run hitter (USC/Texas/Oklahoma/Nebraska/North Carolina/Notre Dame), you need your singles and doubles hitters (Maryland/Rutgers/Virginia/Georgia Tech/and others) to fill out your rooster.

I believe when the time comes, Georgia Tech if interested (apply), will get an invite.

Good luck.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I could see the ACC dissolving with about half going into the SEC and about half going into the B1G if it starts breaking up. UNC, DUKE, UVA, GT, CUSE, BC, Wake would be likely to B1G. Others would scramble to the SEC if invited or B12. ND could be left out in the cold once the ACC guaranteed games go away.
Personally I want the ACC to remain intact at least until 2035 but something needs change to generate more revenue.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I think my first statement, which ended in “no”, was my answer to your question. I qualified my answer because I don’t think we would compete under our current regime, and my comment about App State was intended to amplify how uncompetitive I think we would be.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This is all just funny. The die has already been cast. The ACC is slowly dying due to poor leadership under Swofford and now Phillips which has put all teams at a financial disadvantage. Some of y’all can keep your GOR sweater on and hug yourself every day. But its already a dead conference walking. The first minute Clemson, Florida State, and others have a chance to leave they will leave. Sure it may take some years, but there is no stopping it now.