Conference Realignment

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This is tough. Feel sorry for Frost.

But not having followed the program I can only speculate.

Usually firing a coach during a season is to send a message to the fans and the donors that you believe winning is important and you have not given up on the season. To simply ride out a season when everyone knows the coach is not staying is one of the worst things you can do for fan morale and fund raising.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
For those that think GT can't compete in the B1G:

It's not how much money you have, it's what you do with that money. GT can most definitely win enough to go bowling every year and have a special season every 3-5 years...like what we've always done in the past.

App St beat Texas A&M. Think we could be competitive in the SEC west routinely?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This is tough. Feel sorry for Frost.

But not having followed the program I can only speculate.

Usually firing a coach during a season is to send a message to the fans and the donors that you believe winning is important and you have not given up on the season. To simply ride out a season when everyone knows the coach is not staying is one of the worst things you can do for fan morale and fund raising.

I dated a prominent person associated with the Purdue program. She described Frost as Dead Man Walking three years ago. Why? Back in the Cornhusker heyday (Tom Osborne), they recruited heavily IN-STATE. But kids in Nebraska don't want to play in state (cold, few prospects, etc) and so, ... they are going out of state to play. This was true even before Frost became coach. Her view (and she's pretty plugged in) was, it was a suicide mission. Nebraska is never coming back.

It's a shame really. More proof that sometimes, you really can't go home.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I dated a prominent person associated with the Purdue program. She described Frost as Dead Man Walking three years ago. Why? Back in the Cornhusker heyday (Tom Osborne), they recruited heavily IN-STATE. But kids in Nebraska don't want to play in state (cold, few prospects, etc) and so, ... they are going out of state to play. This was true even before Frost became coach. Her view (and she's pretty plugged in) was, it was a suicide mission. Nebraska is never coming back.

It's a shame really. More proof that sometimes, you really can't go home.
Wow... that’s a bold statement! Sad if true... but I’m not totally bought in. I think kids want to play where they can be successful. Period.
If weather, geography and future prospects were critical considerations, wouldn’t metropolitan schools in warmer climates have a HUGE recruiting advantage? Hmmm... I actually hope she’s right! :unsure:

Most guys going to play college football want to believe they have a shot at the next level. They also believe they need exposure to get that shot. Basically, They want to play for a winner. Nebraska can make a good hire, lock down the state and get back to 9-10 win seasons. It was only 7-8 years ago they were a consistent 9 win team. It all runs in cycles...

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I hope this is sarcastic. Frost is not the answer regardless of how CGC does.
Dude has $15M and a big ol chip on his shoulder... maybe we can offer him a meal plan in lieu of salary and throw in some nice bonuses for ACC champ game appearances and beating Clem and UGA. Hook him up with a sick retro Tech hoodie... if anyone saw his Husker hoodie on the night of his ultimate demise, you get it. If I were a Nebraska fan, I’d have one!
It’s a solid business plan... what could go wrong?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I hope this is sarcastic. Frost is not the answer regardless of how CGC does.
Frost should have not left UCF. He had a really good situation there. Sometimes the grass is not always greener. UCF could get a chance with the new 12 team championship format and prove how good they are on the field. Nebraska just wasn't a good fit for him. Maybe he just had a magical one year run at UCF with lesser competition.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Either take the bet for 2036 or drop it. You like to make proclamations, but how confident are you in them? I'm pretty confident GT will get another invite.

I'm fairly confident we don't, but for personal reasons, I do not make wagers. Suffice to say, we disagree on this. I'm not, however, going to quit affirming my opinion just because it doesn't match yours.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm fairly confident we don't, but for personal reasons, I do not make wagers. Suffice to say, we disagree on this. I'm not, however, going to quit affirming my opinion just because it doesn't match yours.

I'm not asking you to quit making opinions, that's what messageboards are for...but you seem sure of something that won't be determined for another decade. I'm just checking the temperature of your convictions. Noted.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I'm not asking you to quit making opinions, that's what messageboards are for...but you seem sure of something that won't be determined for another decade. I'm just checking the temperature of your convictions. Noted.

I am sure of a lot of things that won't be determined for decades. I have been wrong before, and I'd love to be wrong about this, but I am fairly certain we will be in the ACC, or some version of it, in 2036 and beyond.