Conference Realignment

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
The chatter for the last week or more has been that ND wants a better deal from NBC and NBC is interested in giving it to them if they can get some other college football around the ND game. So imo if NBC does a deal with B10 that actually helps ND stay independent. NBC would not need to have ND in the B10.
I would look at this more as, if NBC gets the B10 they can tell ND to pound sand. What would they need ND for at that point? I don't think NBC has the bandwith to put on all the games the B10 will currently have on the schedule, why would they need ND?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The chatter for the last week or more has been that ND wants a better deal from NBC and NBC is interested in giving it to them if they can get some other college football around the ND game. So imo if NBC does a deal with B10 that actually helps ND stay independent. NBC would not need to have ND in the B10.
What i’ve read is that ND wants $75 mil/year and that NBC is not willing to pay that much. My question is why would NBC pay up the big $$$ for BIG games for iirc 3 different time slots when home ND games are going to conflict with one of those spots for half the season?

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
This line of posts started with NBC offering $350 million to match CBS. It appears/appeared that NBC was going to be offering for the whole thing. If that is the case NBC won't need ND.
CBS is paying $350M for the 3:30 lot and NBC is paying $350 M for the 7 slot. Fox and BTN get the noon slot. NBC was not negotiating for the whole thing.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
CBS is paying $350M for the 3:30 lot and NBC is paying $350 M for the 7 slot. Fox and BTN get the noon slot. NBC was not negotiating for the whole thing.
I think that i’ve read there are more time slots available for nbc, cbs, and fox than (multiple games per weekend each) that but the top tier games may be shaking out like you have written. (I hope that makes sense)

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The current word on the B10 contracts is this.
Fox is likely to get a noon game. CBS will get the 3:30 game, NBC will get prime time games.

Also, ND AD had an interview today and he sounded pretty happy about what I think he believes is likely to occur.
It sounds like he expects ND to remain independent in football and will sign a new contract (most likely with NBC, though they have reportedly talked to both ESPN and FOX as well) where they play in a 2:30/3:30 slot. Their current TV contract expires in 2025. Frankly, as long as they have access to the CFP without having to be in a conference they will likely not be in a conference.

He also talked extensively about the NIL. Said ND was one of the first schools to support NIL as they saw it as giving athletes the same opportunity any other student has to earn money - ie. a musician can play in a club, an artist can sell their work. He said the issue is that NIL came out with no oversight and couple with unlimited transfers it changed from being compensated for your work to simply being a way to pay players to attend a specific school, which is not what the NIL was supposed to be. He believes it is unsustainable but also doesn't believe it is going to change in the short term.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
The B1G is clearly pushing the idea of being the NFL of college football. And it may actually work because unlike the SEC they have a national profile.

If they pull this off they may even try to snag a Texas team (I think either A&M or UT will be willing to move over if the B1G play them off each other…I suspect the B1G could potentially pull a Texas/Oklahoma over especially with the attraction of them playing USC/UCLA every year).

I suspect they could then fill in some gaps and grow to 24 pretty soon after that.

2 Florida teams (Miami/FSU). Oregon. Washington. UNC. Clemson.

And now you’ve got a truly national conference.

The B1G is placed in the best position possible. It remains to be seen if they are aggressive enough to exploit their advantages.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
The B1G is clearly pushing the idea of being the NFL of college football. And it may actually work because unlike the SEC they have a national profile.

If they pull this off they may even try to snag a Texas team (I think either A&M or UT will be willing to move over if the B1G play them off each other…I suspect the B1G could potentially pull a Texas/Oklahoma over especially with the attraction of them playing USC/UCLA every year).

I suspect they could then fill in some gaps and grow to 24 pretty soon after that.

2 Florida teams (Miami/FSU). Oregon. Washington. UNC. Clemson.

And now you’ve got a truly national conference.

The B1G is placed in the best position possible. It remains to be seen if they are aggressive enough to exploit their advantages.
The more I think about it, the more I believe pulling in USC/UCLA is about pulling UT/OU to the B1G. If they’re able to get them to pick the B1G over the SEC that would be a huge coup that would completely change the conversation.

If I was the B1G commissioner I would be willing to give them additional perks just to do that, but honestly, I think if they get their college Presidents to make the pitch, with the better academics, etc, i think they could pull it off.

I wonder if they will be brazen enough.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
A good explainer on ACC revenues from WRAL

I would be interested to know what the ACC sold GT on to stay and not leave for the B1G. I think GT most likely did the honorable thing and shared with the ACC that the B1G gave us an invite, and the ACC no doubt came back with something to sway GT to stay. I also think it didn't take too much for GT to stay either...our administration is not known for taking risks. Whatever the ACC told GT over a decade ago, it was enough to for GT to forego hundreds of millions in revenue since then.

It would be interesting to know if GT makes the same decision now.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I would be interested to know what the ACC sold GT on to stay and not leave for the B1G. I think GT most likely did the honorable thing and shared with the ACC that the B1G gave us an invite, and the ACC no doubt came back with something to sway GT to stay. I also think it didn't take too much for GT to stay either...our administration is not known for taking risks. Whatever the ACC told GT over a decade ago, it was enough to for GT to forego hundreds of millions in revenue since then.

It will be a moot point if Tech doesn’t do something to inspire an invite from the B1G. If Tech stands in the corner and waits for the dust to settle, it likely will be left out.

Tech should approach both the B1G and the SEC NOW, while there is so much uncertainty over expansion, and ask for an invite, telling both conferences that Tech will accept the invite from the first that offers, then ink a deal, with an effective date upon the expiration or demise of the ACC’s current GOR provision.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow

The administration would be fools to make that same decision twice. What's the definition of insanity again?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It will be a moot point if Tech doesn’t do something to inspire an invite from the B1G. If Tech stands in the corner and waits for the dust to settle, it likely will be left out.

Tech should approach both the B1G and the SEC NOW, while there is so much uncertainty over expansion, and ask for an invite, telling both conferences that Tech will accept the invite from the first that offers, then ink a deal, with an effective date upon the expiration or demise of the ACC’s current GOR provision.
I doubt either conference would be interested in this idea. This assumes that either/both would be interested in GT and that GT has some sort of leverage here where it clearly does not.
SEC has 0 interest in GT, none at all. GT gives them literally nothing that they don't already have, that they care about.
B10 might have some due to location and academic prestige, but given they weren't willing to make offers to other programs that have more value than GT and have no GoR to worry about suggests they certainly are not going to engage with GT right now and might never.

I suspect most schools have already reached out to the SEC and B10 informally and have likely been told 'thank you for your interest, will add you to the waiting list' or 'we have no interest at all'.

Any program that wants to join the B10 or SEC have to bring an additive amount of money to the table, very few programs do.

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Big 10 may have its new media package deal announcement later today, may be this morning. We shall see what the tea leaves may hold...