Conference Realignment

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
he goes on on about the academic commitment of the ACC, but I'd say the BIG10 has a better commitment. Would the BIG allow Louisville in? F$U? I could see them kicking out Nebraska, and adding us and UVA and Duke, if UNC would allow it and be accepted to the $ec. But he also said he'd make the same decision again, despite the loss of MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS. As a side walk fan, Im starting to believe the GTAA vs The Hill. Does Cabrera seem to be cut of the same cloth?
Understand the logic but Nebbie is pretty much a lock in the B1G going forward unless they move to leave themselves. As an aside, they thought they would be kicking azz from the start but that has not unfolded. Coach Fleck has Frost's number pretty well. They still think Tom Osborne's glory days are coming back...

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Understand the logic but Nebbie is pretty much a lock in the B1G going forward unless they move to leave themselves. As an aside, they thought they would be kicking azz from the start but that has not unfolded. Coach Fleck has Frost's number pretty well. They still think Tom Osborne's glory days are coming back...
Interestingly enough, I travelled through Nebraska both ways on an earlier trip to the Badlands this summer. I stayed overnight each way and found myself in bars and restaurants (oddly enough huh?) in rather obscure villages and hamlets. I posed this question (can Nebraska ever find its way back to the glory days?) to the locals over beers and libations. My takeaway is that they seemed to be aware that Elvis has indeed left the building. No one I encountered had the idea that they were "just one coaching hire away" from glory. In that, they seemed to be a little ahead of the curve in regards to most GT fans. I must admit that my sample size was pretty small on that trip but I felt that the ones I chatted with had a grip on reality. FWIW. YMMV. YOLO. IIWII. Never up, never in. Scared money never wins. E pluribus unum. Good pitching beats good hitting. Etc., etc.,

Bill, thanks for participating...we need and enjoy your perspective here. Post often.

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Interestingly enough, I travelled through Nebraska both ways on an earlier trip to the Badlands this summer. I stayed overnight each way and found myself in bars and restaurants (oddly enough huh?) in rather obscure villages and hamlets. I posed this question (can Nebraska ever find its way back to the glory days?) to the locals over beers and libations. My takeaway is that they seemed to be aware that Elvis has indeed left the building. No one I encountered had the idea that they were "just one coaching hire away" from glory. In that, they seemed to be a little ahead of the curve in regards to most GT fans. I must admit that my sample size was pretty small on that trip but I felt that the ones I chatted with had a grip on reality. FWIW. YMMV. YOLO. IIWII. Never up, never in. Scared money never wins. E pluribus unum. Good pitching beats good hitting. Etc., etc.,

Bill, thanks for participating...we need and enjoy your perspective here. Post often.
Thanks 4Shot. I have Husker fans on Mrs. Billd's side of the family and they are pretty much seeking respectability on the field at this point. Small sample size aside I think you got the current jive for regular fanbase. Will be in Lincoln the first week in November to see the Gophers win there again.

As with any fanbase there are some folks drinking very strong tea...and with Tech that would be whisky of course...and they live and die for a dozen or so Saturday's out of the year. There's a Husker who posts immediately after every game that is a hoot, especially when they lose. When the season rolls round I'll find him again and send it your way. Literally the world is ending for Herbie and Lil' Red.

Beeski

Georgia Tech Fan
I think the east -> west travel is tough, but it is also hard for sports outside MBB and FB, there isn't the same level of funds for Baseball, Softball, Swimming, etc.

Now imagine trying to get the ladies softball team to Stanford on a school day?

The ACC would need a second West Coast team (Cal, Oregon or Washington) to make more sense out of scheduling Hoops and most non-rev sports:
- Friday and Sunday games at different schools
- A fleet of biz class 767's with good wifi for studying

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The ACC would need a second West Coast team (Cal, Oregon or Washington) to make more sense out of scheduling Hoops and most non-rev sports:
- Friday and Sunday games at different schools
- A fleet of biz class 767's with good wifi for studying
Yeah no, none of them are coming to the ACC bro. Maybe WSU and OSU...

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Doesn't take a genius to figure out what the B1G is doing. I mean, if a keyboard warrior (me) on some random GT board can call it a year ago, it shouldn't come as a surprise.

There's a reason why Oregon/Washington/Stanford/Cal aren't freaking out, and they're not quick to form an alliance or join the Big 12 or ACC. IMO, those schools are future B1G members...it's a matter of when, not if. B1G is going to own the West Coast market, and when the ACC's GOR expires or when ACC members figure out the GOR issues, you'll see the B1G get into the Southern markets.

SEC is fine being the biggest conference in the South/Southwest....B1G is looking to take over the entire country for college sports. The big thing you'll see is schools maybe come up with some sort of agreement, but pay attention to Oregon/Washington/Stanford/Cal. No way they'll do a GOR agreement knowing the B1G is looming.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is why who leads an organization at a specific time matters. GT fans should know this lesson well. Decision makers that let GT leave the SEC, and administration that turned down the B1G have totally changed the trajectory of GT athletics for generations. Hopefully the ACC is playing rope-a-dope with this expansion thing, but so far...

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
This isn’t 1980 anymore. What’s the difference in cost and time flying to play at BC, ND, or Miami vs. Northwestern, Ohio State, or Penn State. No difference. Atl to Miami is 662 miles. Atl to Columbus is 567. Atl to BC is 1,076 miles. Atl to Northwestern is 733. Purdue is closer to Atl than ND is yet we send student athletes there all the time to play.

The point is travel costs and time are a non issue in todays world. Even having teams on the west coast isn’t a factor.
This isn't about just football once a week, though. It also includes the swim team and such ilk that now are traveling to California Minnesota Wisconsin New York Michigan where before we had FSU, Clemson, and 4 schools in NC all of which aren't nearly as far.

It isn't a non issue.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
This isn't about just football once a week, though. It also includes the swim team and such ilk that now are traveling to California Minnesota Wisconsin New York Michigan where before we had FSU, Clemson, and 4 schools in NC all of which aren't nearly as far.

It isn't a non issue.

kind of a non issue now in the respect that college sports is now pro sports, just wearing a college jersey. school schmool doesn't matter any more, so the long flights are just more party time.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This is a huge problem. Athletes in my classes often need 3 days off a week during competition. Two for travel and one for the event. This leads to LESS student experience... I know golfers at one SEC school who never attend classes at the main campus. Timewise, it isn't possible.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
My tennis player undergrads always seemed particularly on the verge of cracking up (ACC, but not GT). Weekly matches and tournaments, training, travel, practice, team politics, competitive pressures, plus academics. Hard to imagine how west coast travel wouldn’t matter. Imagine going to school, missing 30-50%+ classes, 30-35 hrs/wk doing your sport plus travel.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
My tennis player undergrads always seemed particularly on the verge of cracking up (ACC, but not GT). Weekly matches and tournaments, training, travel, practice, team politics, competitive pressures, plus academics. Hard to imagine how west coast travel wouldn’t matter. Imagine going to school, missing 30-50%+ classes, 30-35 hrs/wk doing your sport plus travel.
Someone should ask (if not already) how West Virginia student athletes held up to the B12 travel.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
This is a huge problem. Athletes in my classes often need 3 days off a week during competition. Two for travel and one for the event. This leads to LESS student experience... I know golfers at one SEC school who never attend classes at the main campus. Timewise, it isn't possible.
Its called online classes. Been around for years. Labs are done in off season. They can still have plenty of student experiences, but don't miss out on the learning...which is the main point of college. Student experience is second.