B Back

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
I was just wondering why dosen't CPJ just recruit a line backer or athlete in the mold of Dwyer and and turn him into a BBack there are plent of atheletes in the 220 to 225 size every recuriting year regardless of the star rating; In my opinion you don't necessary need a speedster at that position you just need a big body that can hit the hole quickly and gain 4 to 5 yards a clip to keep the defense honest; If we can achive that everything will fall into place. I think we are fretting to much in trying to recruit a 200lb back and trying to fattening him up to 220lbs in the coarse of 2 years. Is there anybody on the team nowthat would fit this mold?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Everyone thinks a BB is so much different from a RB. You still need to be able to protect the ball and have good vision and cutting abilities to hit the hole. If you’re content with 3-4 yards every play with no threat to break a long run then yeah that might work. You still need a real RB to be able to have the vision necessary to make quick cuts and take it to the house. Without that threat, you can forget about anything outside.

gtcole

Jolly Good Fellow
Dwyers speed is what made him a great Bback, not his size. With his top end speed, he was a broken tackle away from taking to the house every play. I thought he was better in 2008 at a smaller size than 2009. Still a beast though

Last edited:

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Marcus Allen should get another try. Too much quality LB depth for him to get on the D2 at LB anytime soon. He has RB and even some prior GT BB experience. SDays and Perkins are seniors and that will not help our bigger BB need next year. PJ Davis too valuable on defense. IMO Leggett should reshirt and be available at BB if needed. A 2015 BB recruit stud is the real need, maybe two!

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Dwyers speed is what made him a great Bback, not his size. With his top end speed, he was a broken tackle away from taking to the house every play. I thought he was better in 2008 at a smaller size than 2009. Still a beast though

Yea him getting fat was the worst thing he could do both at Tech and for the NFL. I’m not sure if CPJ told him to gain weight or if he just didn’t stay in shape but I thought he was better in 2008 as well. What did he gain like 25 lbs for the next year? Lost all his quickness.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, does that really make sense to you. Just any big body will do?
A Bback is a running back that aligns behind the QB other than that there is no height or weight requirement to becoming one.
The staff put Broderick Snoddy, as one and he is 5'9, 190 lbs.
The current #1 target at that position is listed as 5'11 208
Travis Custis was 6 210
They were not asking him to add 20 more pounds. They just want the best running back.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Taking nothing away from Dwyer, but Laskey scores on FSU on that first play. We were in trips so that took away one of the safeties. The other safety completely ran out of position biting on motion and there was NOBODY in the middle of the field after that. The MLB got chipped by an OL and there just wasn't anybody else.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the ideal B Back would be an oversized running back and not a traditional fullback. I imagine someone like Eddie George in that position.

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
Just think Brendan Douglas was coming to us as a BB..foolish of him to switch because he's a heck of a talent at RB and ugag will move him to FB before his career is over. Would've been a star at BB for us. If we can get Mikell Lands-Davis that would be a huge get for BB. Great power and speed shown on his film. Eric do you know where we stand for him?

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
You don't see traditional fullbacks in high school any more because of the offensive system they use mimics what the college does and that is the "Spread" full of slot backs and skinny tall wide outs , There are still plenty of 6' 220lbs kids recurited every year that are cross trained to do other things; I just think CPJ and his staff knowing that he needs a stud BBack to be the staple of the offense should think outside of ther box and do a better job at having at least 2 Bbacks of at least 220lbs ready to go and pound the middle of the defense at any time , What happens if Lasky goes down, thats my argument , The quality and size of of what we have to back him up is just not adaquate

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Dwyers speed is what made him a great Bback, not his size. With his top end speed, he was a broken tackle away from taking to the house every play.

Top end speed is the only thing that concerns me about Laskey.

Looking at those clips...why does it seem we were opening up bigger holes back then? Have opposing Ds adjusted that much and are stuffing the dive?

Yoda

Helluva Engineer

I miss those days. Have a feeling it's gonna be like that again real soon.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Top end speed is the only thing that concerns me about Laskey.

Looking at those clips...why does it seem we were opening up bigger holes back then? Have opposing Ds adjusted that much and are stuffing the dive?

IMO Laskey is fine, size and speed. Issue is will he hold up? D's have been stuffing us inside because (1) OL not picking up LB blitz and missing other blocks and (2) not enough threat to run the QB keeper or wide option pitch. Still had problem with (1) in Spring game with Nealy blitz. (2) was a problem with our QB last year along with troublesome blocking (AB, BB and OL). Teams actually did not stop the dive (1300+ yds from BB) as much as they blew up other plays before they developed and the QB ran and made decisions timidly, gradually becoming a non threat. Our offense became a BB dive, a rocket toss, and a QB Hail Mary.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
My biggest concern is that defenses attack us now. Look back at how UGA slow played their front 7. Slow playing was the conventional way to defend the wishbone back in the day. We tore that up. Defenses have changed tactics and have been attacking us here lately and it's made a difference. This past season, Syracuse slow played us and we ate them up. Problem is most everyone else has been attacking the LOS and it's made OLinemen who are better suited for this system look worse than the patchwork line we put together in 08. Not being negative here, just stating a legit concern I've had for the last few years. Discuss.