B-Back 2014, Revisited

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I liked Marcus at B back and was surprised he got moved so quick... I hope he switches back over.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I think we need to keep an eye on Donovan. he's a tough son of a gun and runs with an attitude!

I agree and he has had a year in the system. He will only get better. Also the BB does not carry the ball on 2/3 of the plays and Conners is very reliable on the whole array of the offense. Laskey could get adequate rest if good BB player-on-the-field management is imployed.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Leggett will be like Devine was last year: he'll get to play if injuries (but Heaven forfend) force it. If Laskey gets hurt, we may have to use him.

But, frankly, I don't think that's going to happen. Rather, I think Connors and Wilson will get a chance to fight it out for #2 and whoever wins will get to carry the ball 25 - 30% of the time. I wouldn't be surprised to see Allen go back to the position in the fall for awhile to see if he works out.

The big thing is that we have the BB we need. Laskey has always been underrated, imho, and I think he'll do fine next year. I'm looking for a year like Allen's. Well … might be more like hoping.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think Leggett will be like Devine was last year: he'll get to play if injuries (but Heaven forfend) force it. If Laskey gets hurt, we may have to use him.

But, frankly, I don't think that's going to happen. Rather, I think Connors and Wilson will get a chance to fight it out for #2 and whoever wins will get to carry the ball 25 - 30% of the time. I wouldn't be surprised to see Allen go back to the position in the fall for awhile to see if he works out.

The big thing is that we have the BB we need. Laskey has always been underrated, imho, and I think he'll do fine next year. I'm looking for a year like Allen's. Well … might be more like hoping.
The biggest thing Laskey gives us is reliability on the dive. He's practically a given 3 - 5 a pop. With more beef in the G-C-G, it should be even more so, even with less experience from that group. Remember, we're not trying to fool anybody with that play. Line up, hit your man, plow forward. If this happens, as I think it will, it will open up the "magic" on the outside.

It also opens up variations on the inside running game, remember, the dive isn't our only inside run. The midline can be hugely successful as can the qb duck (thanks Bob Davie). The "dagger" plays will be the seam game (keeper) and wide game (pitch) that benefit from the inside success. Then the passing game opens up after that. Then the rocket toss and counter plays open up and the game turns from smash mouth to chess!!!

Can't wait, baby, can't wait!!!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The biggest thing Laskey gives us is reliability on the dive. He's practically a given 3 - 5 a pop. With more beef in the G-C-G, it should be even more so, even with less experience from that group. Remember, we're not trying to fool anybody with that play. Line up, hit your man, plow forward. If this happens, as I think it will, it will open up the "magic" on the outside.

It also opens up variations on the inside running game, remember, the dive isn't our only inside run. The midline can be hugely successful as can the qb duck (thanks Bob Davie). The "dagger" plays will be the seam game (keeper) and wide game (pitch) that benefit from the inside success. Then the passing game opens up after that. Then the rocket toss and counter plays open up and the game turns from smash mouth to chess!!!

Can't wait, baby, can't wait!!!
Not all dives are the same. Sometimes we do fool people on the play with gap changes and different blocks etc. Sometimes we leave people unblocked sometimes we don't. With said, I get your point. A bigger more physical GCG will only help us on the dive.