Away fan attendance

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
It starts one fan at a time. Not going to the game and then complaining about attendance is not the way to fix the problem.
8 hr drive to BDS with an 11-month-0ld... not gonna do it if dwags are gonna be there...

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking about going to the uga game this year with my girlfriend since we have never gone, but after reading this thread, I may have to reconsider. Are the fans just rude or do you actually feel unsafe? I dont mind if they are rude, but I definitely dont want to put us at harm if we are just wearing GT gear.
I have experienced rude and somewhat unsafe before. Walking back from one game one time, what I presume was a UGA student just randomly got up in my face barking and making physical contact with me. I pushed him to get him off and that started a bit of a scuffle. It was broken up pretty fast though and nothing really happened after that except a lot of cussing. I have also seen people get drinks dumped on them by UGA fans. Overall though, its usually just rudeness. I personally won't go back again but if you want to go you will probably be fine. It also helps if you have some UGA friends to go with.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
About the only way you could get me to Sanford Stadium would be in a light plane. Above midfield. With a big gold paint-bomb slung under the belly…

A stink-bomb might be better—but then again, the way they trash their own campus on game day, I doubt anyone would notice the smell.
I actually live in Athens and know for a fact that there's already a funky smell on one part of campus

NextTimeWearGold

Georgia Tech Fan
I've been to over 30 away games in the last 8 years. Never had a problem anywhere even Athens. You should go to all of these places just to experience it once. I always buy tickets through Tech so I am always sitting around Tech fans.

I was thinking about going to the uga game this year with my girlfriend since we have never gone, but after reading this thread, I may have to reconsider. Are the fans just rude or do you actually feel unsafe? I dont mind if they are rude, but I definitely dont want to put us at harm if we are just wearing GT gear.

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow
On the other hand......ND fans in South Bend were some of the politest I have ever encountered. Both the time we lost and time we won.

Agreed. I was raised by a Dodd era father to hate ND. Went up there when we kicked their arse. Nothing but incredibly classy fans. I was shocked and look forward to returning.

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Yep, I agree about the ND fans. Any bad thoughts I ever had about them disappeared after enjoying tailgate with a few back in 07. Good bunch and I really hope something happens to make them a full fledged ACC football member.

Kelly

Georgia Tech Fan
A description of UGA fans that attend the games at GT: They take up the whole Varsity Parking Lot, bark the whole game, laugh at all of our music, and laugh at our team. Even when Georgia Tech was whipping their tails last year the first half of the game...they were terrible. I was converted to a Georgia Tech fan after my first UGA/GT game IN ATLANTA (I grew up a UGA fan but married into a GT family). I decided I didn't want myself nor my children to be associated with such a horrible fan base. Now, if you know me on twitter, you know how much I admire Georgia Tech. BTW, we are season ticket holders and also attend several away games a year...but I'm sorry, we don't go to Athens.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
And I thought South Carolina / Flordia fans were bad ... There are idiots everywhere , mixed w alcohol it can get ugly . As a x player , looking up and seeing support at away games means much more than home support . Don't let a few or many drunks keep you away from supporting your team , when the game is only a hour and a half away . You can easily buy tickets on Stub Hub and parking passes . You realky can't blame the UGA fans for laughing at the band , I mean I was kinda shocked when every week they perform " formulas " . I was like embrace the image I guess . UGA fans look at the GT game in Atlanta as a home game , wear Red jerseys and they make it a point to try and take over . Whose fault is that ? Reality is , no GT fan should sell their tickets that week , they should put their *** in the stadium .

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Tech fans travel better than probably all comparably sized schools and have always been well known for that. Saying different is BS.

You probably haven't tried getting tickets to the UGA game in Athens as a Tech fan, it is not always so easy to do unless they are having a disappointing year. Their fans do not always like to sell or give tickets to their rivals . . .

I have been to every Georgia vs. Georgia Tech football game since 1998...in Athens, in Atlanta...doesn't matter to me. I have never had the slightest trouble getting tickets to this game.

I know we all hate Georgia and Athens and all, but come on guys...we need to get out to the game up there.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Best fan encounters at away games:
Notre Dame
Auburn
UNC (I've had horrible problems with them in Atlanta, but none when I went to Chapel Hill)
FSU (no problems, surprisingly)

Worst fan encounters at away games:
Georgia/Florida game in Jacksonville (this is the worst...went during a bye week with my future wife a few years back...there are good fans here, but there are tons of AWFUL fans...it's a joke)
Virginia Tech (students)
Georgia
Clemson
Virginia (only one bad experience in three trips though...)

Papa Doc

Georgia Tech Fan
Go to at least one away game every year. Went to Durham last year and had a great time. The GT fans were in full force and the Dukies were great hosts. Go the Athens about every other trip, takes that long to get over the experience. Been to most every ACC and SEC stadium for away games and the Dawg fans are by far the worst of any and it never changes. Worst than Clemson, Florida, Auburn, Alabama, Florida State . . . . going to Athens is a miserable experience, but I owe to the team and have to go and pull for the Jackets. Already have tickets for this year, plan to start drinking on Tuesday that week.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I try to go to every game at Clemson and UGA. Never had a problem at Clemson and have had only good experiences with Clemson fans. I sit next to some fairly rowdy guys at BDS that told me they were chased, literally, by a big group of Clemson frat guys a couple years ago (these dudes aren't the type to be scared of a fight so were probably heavily outnumbered)

As for Athens. Mutts are by far the most obnoxious...the barking alone wins them that prize. Never had a drink thrown on me...just some skittles one year and some ice cubes more recently. The skittles was during a win (97) and I thought that was actually funny. The ice cubes would have probably ended in a fight, as my wife was hit as well, only didnt because the UGA fans I was with dealt with it. So it is beneficial to have mutt fans with you.

I can see the sentiment for not going to Athens, my wife refuses to return. I'm willing to tolerate obnoxious fans happily and give them hell in return. Of all the years I've been to Athens though I've really only had that one bad experience and I will happily deal with any that happen again.

Bottom line for most is this. Mutts are obnoxious as hell and even more so when they beat us. And they have done that pretty regularly my entire life. The absolute most fun I've had at any game though....was IN Athens in 2008. It honestly was better than the Citrus Bowl or any of the amazing games I've seen at Grant Field. I would hate myself if I allowed a few mutt turds deter me from that.

But I really can't fathom why any Tech fan would let themselves be cowed away from home games vs the mutts. That stinks of someone simply scared to see us lose in person. Put your big boy pants on and man up please.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Best fan encounters at away games:
Notre Dame
Auburn
UNC (I've had horrible problems with them in Atlanta, but none when I went to Chapel Hill)
FSU (no problems, surprisingly)

Worst fan encounters at away games:
Georgia/Florida game in Jacksonville (this is the worst...went during a bye week with my future wife a few years back...there are good fans here, but there are tons of AWFUL fans...it's a joke)
Virginia Tech (students)
Georgia
Clemson
Virginia (only one bad experience in three trips though...)
Your fan experiences take me back to my childhood. We lived in Waycross for a few years and would go to Jax every year for the Georgia / Florida game until it got so bad we never went again. People were throwing tomatoes at other fans, throwing up on each other and punching out opposing fans. It may be different today but back then when the cops would come down to see who was doing what no one in the crowd would let on who the culprits were. It was the worst experience at a game I have ever had.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The mutt game in Jacksonville is the mutts taste of their own medicine. I feel pretty certain Florida fans have just as many, and possibly more, nasty fans than the mutts.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I live in Jacksonville and it is basically an extension of south Georgia. I see more mutt gear, stickers, flags, etc here than any place I lived in Georgia.

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
I have been to 5-6 GT/UGA games and have not had 1 issue. No one has touched me, cursed me, gotten too close, etc. Some of you dudes should look in the mirror if you having such a horrible time or become a target when around UGA guys.

BTW. Yes, I had on GT shirts and hats as well.