Avery Showell in the transfer portal

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
This is an odd one. He seemed to be getting a decent amount of reps. Hope this turns into a good opportunity for him to pick up a master's degree for free. Best wishes to Avery!

I think it's really going to become the norm for RS Jr's who aren't totally locked in as starters. It just makes too much sense to do it.

Good luck to him, he's been a really solid player for us.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Ive said this more recently. We will see a lot of this. I think some guys transfer who have had decent playing time. I see 7-12 additional guys going into the portal this off-season. Mostly sophomores and juniors

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
He should be able to graduate since he’s a redshirt junior so great for him. Can’t blame him for looking for more playing time. This should open up more playing time for Derrick Allen. We will see a lot more transfers before next season

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Ive said this more recently. We will see a lot of this. I think some guys transfer who have had decent playing time. I see 7-12 additional guys going into the portal this off-season. Mostly sophomores and juniors
When good players like this leave, it becomes a real challenge to build quality depth. Injuries on our 2-deep have always had an outsized impact vs the top 4 to 6 teams on our schedule. The new culture in CFB, will imo make it worse.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Going to miss him. For those interested in his cumulative PFF grades this year.

He’s played 183 snaps on defense and is graded as 39th out of 42 players who’ve played on defense this year. Granted some guys graded ahead of him like Askew have played less than 10 snaps.

Of the 22 players on Defense with over 100 snaps, the lowest graded are

19.) Avery Showell
20.) Derrik Allen
21.) Tobias Oliver
22.) Demetrius Knight

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
When good players like this leave, it becomes a real challenge to build quality depth. Injuries on our 2-deep have always had an outsized impact vs the top 4 to 6 teams on our schedule. The new culture in CFB, will imo make it worse.
I think it will be hard for all teams to hold depth.
We will as always have to have a better gameplan than the other team. We will rarely if ever beat a top 10 team on talent alone. If we can land 2 more top 25 classes then the 2022-2023 season will be a solid year for us. I assume a 9-10 win season. That would be an all Collins team.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Don't care about his PFF grades. This guy has bled for GT. Kudos to him and wish him nothing but the best.
I agree with all of that, just saying I don’t think it’ll hurt our secondary depth. Sorry if it came across as cold/insincere.

Deleted member 2897

I think he's getting a business degree here. Imagine a business degree here and then an MBA somewhere else...all for free. Dude worked hard and sacrificed 50 hours of his life every week he was here, to help our football team. Go get 'em Avery!

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
CFB and the NCAA has opened the gate and there is no closing it. Free agency has taken over. I wish the young man well. But, he will not be the first or last.