Auburn

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Would love for the genius to implement some of those power run plays that Auburn uses so effectively out the gun.
They pounding teams impressively.

I still don't understand why we not running more out the diamond.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Let's see Awbarn has played TN, Western Car, Arky State, Arky, Wizzou, Fl Atlantic.............wow such a display of Defensive Stalwarts. Add to that Missy St and Ole Missy, that's 8 mighty fine football teams they've beaten up on. They lost to the only decent defensive football team they've played (LSU) and won a shoot out with Johnny foosball's team. Helluva gauntlet of teams the 'Barn has played to date. With the doggies and Bama left to play the mighty tiggers, war eagles or plainsman (whatever the hell that is) might get through the regular season with just 2 losses. Impressive..........................not

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
WTF they only lost 1 game after going 0 - 8 in the SEC and that isn't IMPRESSIVE.
Whatever

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
No, impressive is beating up on a bunch of lousy teams and having folks think that's impressive. Awbarn may have had the worst coach in Div 1 football last year, they had decent talent last year, just as they have this year with a much better head coach. They are still only 1-1 against quality teams this year. The remainder of their schedule is mediocre at best, 6-3 Ole Missy is the ONLY team in the mediocre at best group that even has a winning record. As I said impressive............or it is just because they a sec, sec, sec team?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
8 and 1 is 8 and 1
Beating Texas A&M at home
Molly Woopin Tenn at Home
A 1 year turn around with a new staff

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
A&M has no D they gave up 41 to Missy St today. TN is worse on D than that and has no O right now. As I said the only team Awbarn has played with a decent D they lost to. What do you think Awbarn would have done playing VPISU, ThugU with a healthy Duke Johnson and BYU back to back to back? Oregon was putting up video numbers until they played a good D. OK was 7-1 until they played a good O. Tx Tech was 7-0 until Ok, Ok State and, oh yes that powerhouse, K State. The only reason Awbarn is getting so much love is because they're in the almighty sec, sec, sec. As you point out they went winless in the sec last year and now they're a powerhouse? We get you don't like PJ or his offense but don't let that color your football mind. I've read enough of your post to know football pretty well and I'm not trying to get into a p***ing contest with you I just don't feel Awbarn is anything special this year. I can just about guarantee they don't put up 24 points or more on Bama.

Last edited:

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Auburn is 9 - 1. Who you play is who you play. 9 wins and 1 loss is 9 wins and 1 loss.
And remember, their QB should have been a Jacket.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
9-1 is 9-1 absolutely, not disputing that at all. All I said and will still say it's not that impressive when you look at their schedule. UCF is 7-1, Ball State is 9-1, Louisville is 8-1 and there are a host of 2 loss teams. Out of Awbarns 10 opponents only 3 have a winning record, at worst Awbarn should be 7-3. Folks get blinded by w-l without looking beyond that.

And yes, Nick Marshall could have been a Jacket. He choose to go elsewhere and while he's having a good year his numbers aren't that superior to Vad's and Tech has Vad for 2 more years versus 1 more year of eligibility for Nick.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
9-1 is 9-1 absolutely, not disputing that at all. All I said and will still say it's not that impressive when you look at their schedule. UCF is 7-1, Ball State is 9-1, Louisville is 8-1 and there are a host of 2 loss teams. Out of Awbarns 10 opponents only 3 have a winning record, at worst Awbarn should be 7-3. Folks get blinded by w-l without looking beyond that.

And yes, Nick Marshall could have been a Jacket. He choose to go elsewhere and while he's having a good year his numbers aren't that superior to Vad's and Tech has Vad for 2 more years versus 1 more year of eligibility for Nick.
Kind of like UGA thought they were so great only losing 1 game last year in the regular season and downing every other high ranked team because " they don't play nobody" and UGA only played 2 ranked teams USC and UF and got the hell beat outta them against USC. If we were to have swapped schedules with UGA last year I don't think we woulda done any worse and they wouldn't have done any better.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Cleaned this thread up a bit.

The problem I have with these "why aren't we running this other offense that another team went X-0 with" idea is that it's too naive. As easy as it is for us fans to think that offenses and defenses are like trading cards and that we can just flip a switch and run a completely different offense, it just doesn't work that way in reality.

The best example of this is when Tommy Tuberville hired Tony Franklin in 2007 so that Auburn can run the offense du jour ("spread"). Long story short, what happened? Auburn went 5-7 in 2008. Tuberville fired Franklin mid-season then Tuberville was also let go after the season.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It seems odd to me that it's apparently ok in this forum to troll the fans who like our coach by sarcastically calling him "the genius" who doesn't make a simple change, but it's not okay for those fans to respond in kind. Imo, people who disrespect players or coaches (different from respectfully questioning performance) open themselves to disrespect in return.

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
If Ole Miss is mediocre, so is GT.

LSU lost to Ole Miss, which lost to Auburn, which lost to LSU, which lost to Ole Miss, which lost to Auburn, which\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0

Unhandled Conference.CircleOfDestinyException, this Application will close.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Cleaned this thread up a bit.

The problem I have with these "why aren't we running this other offense that another team went X-0 with" idea is that it's too naive. As easy as it is for us fans to think that offenses and defenses are like trading cards and that we can just flip a switch and run a completely different offense, it just doesn't work that way in reality.

The best example of this is when Tommy Tuberville hired Tony Franklin in 2007 so that Auburn can run the offense du jour ("spread"). Long story short, what happened? Auburn went 5-7 in 2008. Tuberville fired Franklin mid-season then Tuberville was also let go after the season.

But we already run plays from the gun, and we grab plays from other teams. Those power runs aren't to far out of the realm of what Tech is currently doing.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
But we already run plays from the gun, and we grab plays from other teams. Those power runs aren't to far out of the realm of what Tech is currently doing.
Yes but it still doesn't mean we are any good at running them. Hell, we aren't even consistent with running the bread and butter plays, I don't have some expectation that we would somehow be a 9-1 team had we ran more plays from pistol/diamond formation.

gtdrew

Banned
Yes but it still doesn't mean we are any good at running them. Hell, we aren't even consistent with running the bread and butter plays, I don't have some expectation that we would somehow be a 9-1 team had we ran more plays from pistol/diamond formation.
But we'd be more fun to watch!!!
Seriously, it takes time to install all these new bells and whistles. Time our inexperienced QB's need repping the base stuff that's going to help us win games.

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
Watching this UGA Auburn game. You see a lot of similarities between them and us. One thing that stands out is how much more physical and faster Auburn is along with cleaner execution though. To me this means the scheme that CPJ runs can be successful (a la 2009) we just need better athletes, which I think most agree on. I'll be interested to see how these second generation of CPJ recruits fair. Hopefully CPJ is around long enough and successful enough in coming years for us to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.