Auburn scrimmage

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Was that reported somewhere? Would like to read the report.

I read a blurb on twitter to that effect but can't remember who twit'd it. I don't know if it's true/untrue but I haven't seen it reported anywhere else.

ETA: I figured it was too negative to post without some confirmation. Otherwise it'd never stand up to dtm's journalistic standards. :smuggrin:

slugboy

Staff member
Reveno tweeted that we didn't have the defensive focus we needed. Hopefully, the scrimmage was a wake up call.

(Kind of assuming that this is related, but not totally sure if it's in Auburn scrimmage context)

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Let me answer that for him. There has been nothing reported that we didn't look good against Auburn. Self-fulfilling prophecy!!

From everything that I have seen, there has been exactly one tweet that stated Auburn won both halves and that they hit 18 three's.

Otherwise, nothing substantial has been reported. All kidding aside, anyone that puts much stock into any of these reports (or even these scrimmages) needs their heads examined.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Let me answer that for him. There has been nothing reported that we didn't look good against Auburn. Self-fulfilling prophecy!!

From everything that I have seen, there has been exactly one tweet that stated Auburn won both halves and that they hit 18 three's.

Otherwise, nothing substantial has been reported. All kidding aside, anyone that puts much stock into any of these reports (or even these scrimmages) needs their heads examined.
I especially agree with this. Since no one can officially report anything about the scrimmages without repercussions, anything you see has to viewed with suspicion.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I would be floored if we did look really good in that scrimmage. They are a top 10 (+/-) ranked team coming into the year and by even the most optimistic view, we have more questions than answers to start the season. I have some specific questions about Cole/Wright, how Haywood and Alvarado have come back from injury, how Philips looked, etc. but none of those are going to get answered by tweets.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
If we came out of the scrimmage without any injuries, then I consider it a success. That is my only criteria. Since you can't win or lose a scrimmage, I would imagine there is a lot of experimenting with lineups and plays. How we looked is meaningless. All that matters is how we grow as a team.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
If we came out of the scrimmage without any injuries, then I consider it a success. That is my only criteria. Since you can't win or lose a scrimmage, I would imagine there is a lot of experimenting with lineups and plays. How we looked is meaningless. All that matters is how we grow as a team.
This. Kind of. I agree that the fact there were no injuries is a huge success (see Okogie last year). Also agree that scrimmages are not fluid and is not representative of an actual game. There is so much stop and go, situational play, lineup experimenting, etc, determining a winner or loser in terms of score is kind of pointless.

Where I would disagree is with you saying 'how we looked is meaningless' - there are always good things you can learn from your team when they go up against someone else with a different scheme, different players, etc.

I'm a big fan of scrimmages and what they show you about your team - but if you're only looking at the final score you're doing it wrong.

Deleted member 2897

Word I heard was we lost each half

The main purpose of a scrimmage like this is to see what you have and where you are. So I imagine both coaches don't worry about the score. Of course if you lose by 30 points, you will probably have guessed that along the way from your play even if the scoreboard were turned off.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
This. Kind of. I agree that the fact there were no injuries is a huge success (see Okogie last year). Also agree that scrimmages are not fluid and is not representative of an actual game. There is so much stop and go, situational play, lineup experimenting, etc, determining a winner or loser in terms of score is kind of pointless.

Where I would disagree is with you saying 'how we looked is meaningless' - there are always good things you can learn from your team when they go up against someone else with a different scheme, different players, etc.

I'm a big fan of scrimmages and what they show you about your team - but if you're only looking at the final score you're doing it wrong.
True, that is a bad choice of words. If we looked absolutely clueless and inept, that would not be meaningless.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Agreed. Especially IIUC since it's not like we lined up and played an actual game by game rules. Not sure why anyone bothers to report who "won".

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Also, I don't believe Devoe played this weekend since he just got the boot removed., so that is not going to help either.

I believe Pastner mentioned their hope is that he is ready to go for the first game on Nov 9 (will likely not play in the exhibition game).

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Did Devoe play? All I really care about

I'm pretty sure that he didn't, but I also think that Pastner mentioned ahead of time that he wouldn't be back in time for it.

He was just cleared for practice less than a week ago. The goal (hope) is that he is back for the first game.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I'm pretty sure that he didn't, but I also think that Pastner mentioned ahead of time that he wouldn't be back in time for it.

He was just cleared for practice less than a week ago. The goal (hope) is that he is back for the first game.

That’s what I assumed but hadn’t seen anything