Auburn Reprise

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Let's hope it's a reprise. The biggest question is pitching.

We are essentially the same ranking as Auburn (#17 rpi) versus our #14.

Auburn is in a skid 3-7 in the last 10; hope we don't help them back on track. And don't give me that SEC crap, Auburn lost to #176 Jacksonville State last Tuesday. They are coming off a trip to Texas A&M this weekend where they lost the series and scored 0, 7 and 1 run. They won the 7 run game, so most of their problems appear to be due to a power failure.* They did limit Texas A&M to 4, 0, 4 runs so I'm glad we aren't seeing their weekend pitching.

Looking at recent Auburn mid-weeks:
Tuesday 4/9 lost to #176 Jacks State 6-11
Tuesday 4/2 lost to us 3-9
Tuesday 3/26 lost to #46 Alabama 3-6
Tuesday 3/19 beat #146 @UAB 13-5

Given they have Ole Miss starting Thursday, like we have VT starting Thursday, I expect staff days. They shouldn't burn any good pitchers; at least to the extent they aren't available this weekend. Neither should we.

I don't know their starter, but I expect we start Willingham (again). I don't like them seeing him again, but don't have a better suggestion, except for my perpetual short hook if things start going bad. Any other suggestions out there?

Patience at the plate, Willingham going deep and Webb at third. Sounds like a recipe for a reprise.

*Side note, scoring 4 runs on one infield hit in an inning isn't exactly power but it is scoring. :D

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
They didn't see Willingham last time out since he pitched instead of Hurter the Sunday before we faced them....so I would definitely start Willingham and hope he fares well and can go deep. I have NO idea who to bring out of the bullpen. I agree we ought to save our best pitchers for the VPI&SU series, but....ummm, other than English, I am not sure who our "best" bullpen pitchers are, exactly.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
It would appear Auburn's RPI is a little inflated due to their great start to season. They were 20-2 at one point. Now they are 24-12 ...so, 4-10 in there last 14 games. Granted...many of those losses (and those 4 wins) are against good/better SEC competition; but still.. the writing is on the wall, they can't sustain a top 20 RPI with that trend. The start of their "skid" coincided with the loss of their best starting pitcher (statistically). Pitching [depth] is REQUIRED to be elite in D1 baseball.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It would appear Auburn's RPI is a little inflated due to their great start to season. They were 20-2 at one point. Now they are 24-12 ...so, 4-10 in there last 14 games. Granted...many of those losses (and those 4 wins) are against good/better SEC competition; but still.. the writing is on the wall, they can't sustain a top 20 RPI with that trend. The start of their "skid" coincided with the loss of their best starting pitcher (statistically). Pitching [depth] is REQUIRED to be elite in D1 baseball.

Pitching depth is really needed come tournament time. So yes, elite. Most people doing the rankings discount mid-week losses. The rpi ratings don't care.

Any idea who the Auburn pitcher was who they lost? But that would be a domino effect with the mid-week going to the weekend usually.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

Deleted member 2897

Bad start for Amos, but unlike the CDH of old, he pulled him in the first inning. Now we’re still in the game instead of being down by 6. Good job coach.

Deleted member 2897

giphy.gif