Attrition and Scholarship Limits

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This is simply not true. "Processing" LJ who is a third string QB (likely to be 4th or 5th string after spring ball) allows us to free up a scholarship and bring in another recruit that might actually have a chance to see the field and contribute. Side note, I put quotations on processing because those are your words, not mine. I don't believe it is processing to be honest with a kid and say hey you are 4th string, you will never play, wanna look elsewhere.

Agreed. But what if they say no and you've already planned for that available scholly? OK to cut them?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Fact all teams do it like it or not. Fact we will have more players signing than we have scholarships if we only have 8 or 9 seniors leaving . Not a fact CGC has said all players have bought in , maybe the ones who are ATL but not all the others. There are right ways to do it and wrong ways. Lets wait to see which we do before we hang the wrong person.

Can't agree with this more.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
So in one response we want Collins to cut instead of processing, in another we want Collins to tell the fourth string QB to stick around because you never know what can happen?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
How did this turn into a discussion about processing? Lucas is going to be a 6 year player. Ya'll think GT should fund extra years for a QB3, 4 or even 5? Be realistic. Then ya'll will demand Collins win right away with dead schollies on the roster.

I would like to see him get a chance to play somewhere, personally. I bet he would, too.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So in one response we want Collins to cut instead of processing, in another we want Collins to tell the fourth string QB to stick around because you never know what can happen?
Cutting is fine if you tell kids upfront it’s what you do. Problem is, nobody does, they ALL say welcome to the FAMILY.

If you’re gonna treat it like a business, fine, just don’t lie to them about family. Families don’t disown each other because they don’t make the 2-deep.

ScGold

Banned
Cutting is fine if you tell kids upfront it’s what you do. Problem is, nobody does, they ALL say welcome to the FAMILY.

If you’re gonna treat it like a business, fine, just don’t lie to them about family. Families don’t disown each other because they don’t make the 2-deep.
You don't think this game isnt being played by all parties involved, then ur not in tune to reality.

LibertyTurns

Banned

You must be unfamiliar with divorce, kicking deadbeat or crackhead kids out of the house, banishing the pervert uncle from holiday gatherings, etc. Not every family looks like they belong in a Disney movie. Sometimes the Ho needs to Go!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You must be unfamiliar with divorce, kicking deadbeat or crackhead kids out of the house, banishing the pervert uncle from holiday gatherings, etc. Not every family looks like they belong in a Disney movie. Sometimes the Ho needs to Go!
So many false equivalencies I don’t know where to begin. We should hold ourselves to a higher standard than the win-at-all-costers. We used to.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I mean he's got the size it wouldn't hurt to try either that or safety
Your idea is not bad. Knight came in as a quarterback and he is now a linebacker. I have no inside information, but it seems Johnson may be prone to the injury bug. No knock on him, but it looks like we're getting better recruits coming in. Johnson has some good quarterback skills and would make some team a fine quarterback as long as he has good blocking. I like the way he steps up in the pocket and he has a nice delivery.

LibertyTurns

Banned
So many false equivalencies I don’t know where to begin. We should hold ourselves to a higher standard than the win-at-all-costers. We used to.
I’m not an “everybody gets a trophy” guy. You get admitted to GT, you pass your tests & classes then you get to graduate.

You join the football & are given a fair chance to compete. You lose, sorry you had a chance. Nobody owes anyone an outcome, just a fair chance. That’s what GT should be all about. Hell, we beat our chests with pride about surviving the shaft which was extraordinarily unfair. Now God forbid we hurt the poor snowflakes feelings.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Dork I dont have the time to look up the exact number, but you can go wikipedia ur own failures Paul.

No data eh....

1ff1efeb274aff62355393e0cfe442eafc3a279bf03915ec7a323345535ff0ce.jpg

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Most families are dysfunctional.

Just personal experience viewing families the last 60 years. Ours is stable in its level of drama. Nothing like @LibertyTurns description fortunately.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
There is no data because even if you put in the time to find the full list of players who "moved on" early under CPJ, some would insist he is a paragon of virtue who would never dream of running a player off, while CGC is just a big meanie who is itching to cut people. If you've never been in the room with a coach and SA for those conversations, you just don't know.

Which is why it is silly to argue about this...on Thanksgiving when you should be arguing with your families! (We are celebrating Saturday, so I have an excuse).

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
The definition of processing is not universal and that makes it near impossible to debate. My understanding of the term is forcing kids out against their will based on some trumped up mutual benefit.
I'm with you and several others in being against "processing" the way you've defined it above. However, I wouldn't call it processing if a kid has gotten his degree from GT. Once the kid has gotten his undergrad degree, GT has fulfilled its obligation, IMO. At that point, it's up to the player anyway, because they can transfer as a grad student wherever they want - so, it should go both ways at that point with the college as well. So, I would consider this situation with Lucas to be generally outside of the "processing" category.