Attention Mods!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't see a place to report something like this, so I'm putting it here.

For the second time while I was making a reply to a post on the football forum, my computer was assaulted by a malware application called ManagePages 1.0. The application downloaded without any prompt by me and installed itself. It purports to be an application for keeping up with all URLs surfed and allow search functions on them. Needless to say, I stopped installation and removed the application at once; there is no way I'm going to allow an extension to Safari (my webrowser) to keep a record of my web searches where they could be easily accessed. I assume that is the reason for the installation. This has only happened when I was making a reply to a football forum post, so I assume that there might be an undetected malware installer at the Swarm server or one attache to it. Luckily, the application and extension seem to be easy to uninstall, but I'm running my virus software as soon as I send this.

I looked for the application on-line and couldn't find it. It may be something brand new. Here are the relevant (I guess) system details:

MacBook Pro (late 2011)
OSX 10.12.6
Safari 12.1.1

See about this. I know, btw, that the app could have been coming from somewhere else and waited for a time before attempting installation. However, it was when I was replying to a Swarm post that it showed up.

Sorry if this is all a tempest in a teapot and if I simply missed the "complaint" part of the site.

slugboy

Staff member
I haven’t seen anything like that. You were just using Safari and the web site—no apps or anything else?
Were there any other tabs with ads running?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I also use MacBook Pro (2015 model) with OS 10.14.6 and safari 13.0.1 and have not experienced this attack.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I haven’t seen anything like that. You were just using Safari and the web site—no apps or anything else?
Were there any other tabs with ads running?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nothing that involved a net connection. It was just Safari. My virus software says it was a browser hijacker, but, as is usual for these apps, it couldn't identify which one it was. This may be my fault; I brought some shoes from a European site a few days ago and it may have snuck in then. Or it could be a problem at the Swarm. I would check, just to make sure. And set up a "OMG, what just happened" site on the URL.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It just happened again and for the third time. I'm going to run my virus software again and see if I can pinpoint the problem. This time the new "application" called itself OpenBroser. I think what might be happening is that the amount of time I spend replying to Swarm posts has given someone - or, more likely, something - a chance to infiltration my browser. But where it is coming form is problematic, but it has only happened at the Swarm.

Again, look into this.