Attention all swarm posters!! Please check out Bryce Koon new gatech podcast.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I mean it’s true. You can draw up the best play ever and without the talent it may or may not work. Talent can overcome bad scheme and coaching. We just had an all American RB behind a mediocre OL. As good as Mason is, even he had an hard time overcoming the OL woes

If you want to play that game I'm down.

You could have a team that has more talent then everyone else they play but if the players don't know what they're supposed to do or what they're being asked to do has a glaring weakness that gets exploited it doesn't mean much. Talent can be used effectively or it can be wasted. Coaching can leverage great talent or it can flush it down the toilet. As an example look at the 49ers when Harbaugh took over. That roster was loaded with talent before he got there but Mike Singletary and Mike Nolan didn't know what the **** they were doing. Harbaugh shows up and they're an immediate powerhouse because they had coaches who knew how to utilize the talent they had. Will Muschamp had something like three top 10 recruiting classes in the 4 years before he got there and three top 10 recuiting classes in his 4 years there and they certainly undershot expectations during his tenure. And many of us have talked **** for years about the talent UGA with nothing to show for it. **** you could count our secondary and linebackers from this year alone. These are examples just from the top of my head. So it seems to me that they both matter and I don't know why some of us here feel the need to exclusively hitch their wagon onto one or the other. Personally speaking I think the coaching aspect is more important then the 'acquiring' talent aspect. Not everyone will agree and that's totally cool.

I will say I've never heard anyone explicitly say 'talent is overrated' like that though which is what caused my post. Interesting double standard there imo.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I will say I've never heard anyone explicitly say 'talent is overrated' like that though which is what caused my post. Interesting double standard there imo.
CPJ says "hi". (OK, not to talent being over-rated, but recruiting stars. Oh, forget it, I'm just trying to add a little levity to a gloomy board...)

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
Did Koon already stop doing his podcast? He said he would be on every morning and noticed he didn’t do an episode today.
He told me that he was under the weather on Thursday. And he posted on Twitter after the death of Bay-Bay, he decided not to do an episode and would resume next Monday.

Last edited:

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
If you want to play that game I'm down.

You could have a team that has more talent then everyone else they play but if the players don't know what they're supposed to do or what they're being asked to do has a glaring weakness that gets exploited it doesn't mean much. Talent can be used effectively or it can be wasted. Coaching can leverage great talent or it can flush it down the toilet. As an example look at the 49ers when Harbaugh took over. That roster was loaded with talent before he got there but Mike Singletary and Mike Nolan didn't know what the **** they were doing. Harbaugh shows up and they're an immediate powerhouse because they had coaches who knew how to utilize the talent they had. Will Muschamp had something like three top 10 recruiting classes in the 4 years before he got there and three top 10 recuiting classes in his 4 years there and they certainly undershot expectations during his tenure. And many of us have talked **** for years about the talent UGA with nothing to show for it. **** you could count our secondary and linebackers from this year alone. These are examples just from the top of my head. So it seems to me that they both matter and I don't know why some of us here feel the need to exclusively hitch their wagon onto one or the other. Personally speaking I think the coaching aspect is more important then the 'acquiring' talent aspect. Not everyone will agree and that's totally cool.

Talent is certainly not overrated. Cincinnati will be the first team that I can think of with less than top 10 roster talent to make the playoffs.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll add that the one conference that you can generally have top 20 talent and lose is the SEC. Top 20 talent may put you as low as 8-10th best in a league that perfected the bag man long before the new likeness rules.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
His opinions on why AT should stay are well thought out and not knee jerk reactions. Same with the current state of the program. Seems to want the best for GT and can see down the range. I hope it pans out, but I'll be here regardless.

Notice how we haven't lost any recruits and only 1 player of substance even though "our program is in shambles". Something is brewing. I was recruited by a college that had won 3 games in one season...in basketball. My freshman year, we won 4. Only had 1 senior and he graduated. Got rid of 5 other players, some of whom were starters. Added only 2 contributing recruits. That following season we led the nation in turnaround wins with 14 for a total of 18. We finished top 4 in our conference for the first time ever. Made, to date, the only conference championship and lost by 11 points. "What's that got to do with the price of tea in China?" It takes time, and sometimes it's not pretty, to change a mindset and culture of a team. After that year we lost many seniors, the coach and the new coach brought in a lot of guys who did nothing but were given everything and we went from 18 to 8 to 10 wins the next 2 seasons.

This 2022 signing class has the high potential to be special.
I hope we are going to Target transfers that can play this year. We have lost a few guys that have had time to be very good but still need more time.

Well , Collins got me to do my first twit and now you guys are going make me get on a pod cast.
Any thing for the team.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Talent is certainly not overrated. Cincinnati will be the first team that I can think of with less than top 10 roster talent to make the playoffs.
I think you just made his point. The very fact that Cinncy made it after recruiting classes in the last 5 years rated (247) at - just a minute - here you go:

2016 74
2017 63
2018 49
2019 66
2020 46

should tell us something about the relationship between recruiting and coaching.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck

That’s his new channel instead of Locked On Georgia Tech

Enjoyed his comments…we are in the shoot excited to see what happens…Tech always responds to challenge, it’s seems if we’re counted out we really put up one heck of a fight. One can hope that could happen this season
1645786211401.png

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I should have also pointed out that I watched Cinncy beat the living snot out of Notre Dame last year. And, after that, I was pretty sure they would go undefeated (yep) and get into the playoffs (yep, again).

This, btw, is the Johnny Vaught school of coaching. When Vaught was at Ole Miss the usual description of his season was "9 stiffs and Alabama". If the Rebs beat Bama, they would get a trip 10 ranking and a NewYear's Day bowl. If not they still usually won 9. This is the kind of scheduling I wish we had at Tech.