Attendance

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm pretty sure swarm has always been north endzone next to the band. What you're describing is the same as it is now. I think the previous poster was mistaken

Man things change a lot. Swarm was north end zone when I was student 06-‘11. Frat blocks were north on other side of band. South was general seating and non frat blocks (though plenty of frats took blocks there). I had to show up at gate opening many times to ensure good seats in the south back then, but bad opponents definitely left room for seating.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Tl;dr most of this thread, but as a student I thought I’d chime in on the current situation of the south stands. All IFC-governed fraternities have sections in the north stands. The Swarm section has been moved from the south stands to the north stands to the right of the Band. Every week, student’s receive an email about being able to claim a free student guest ticket, and these tickets are all designated for the south stands. No students sit over there bc it’s so separated from the rest of the student body, and if we ever choose to use our guest ticket, our guest comes sits with us in the north stands. My opinion is that they stop selling the south stands to students and open it up to the public because I can guarantee you that no students want to sit in the south stands.
That's a sad state of affairs. I graduated in May 2014, and up til then we had a strong south endzone student section.

We used to track the number of stops in each end over the course of the season, and would get pissed when the team chose the North Endzone in an overtime game, because we were louder than the north. (As a student, playing away from the opposing corner didn't enter our thought process).

Also we had a ton of fun politely and not so politely interacting/heckling the opposing fans in the corner.

Oh well, times change I guess.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
That's a sad state of affairs. I graduated in May 2014, and up til then we had a strong south endzone student section.

We used to track the number of stops in each end over the course of the season, and would get pissed when the team chose the North Endzone in an overtime game, because we were louder than the north. (As a student, playing away from the opposing corner didn't enter our thought process).

Also we had a ton of fun politely and not so politely interacting/heckling the opposing fans in the corner.

We probably were close to each other in some games ‘10 and ‘11. I always joined swarm for the T-shirt and guaranteed tickets (yeah it used to sell out!) but always sat south because I liked the atmosphere better.

FLTech

Georgia Tech Fan
We should be giving out some of those upper north seats that are always empty to big brother/big sister volunteers, CHOA, stuff like that. Builds the fans for the next generation, builds good press, and it's a good thing to do. It's not like we're selling those yet, so no loss of income. We do this for games like the Citadel, but you can extend it to other games as well.

No, we just need to put a good product on the field and fans will show up

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer

I don't remember that section being full since 2009. I guess it feels full when you're sandwiched against the fence with 50 of your closest friends.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I don't remember that section being full since 2009. I guess it feels full when you're sandwiched against the fence with 50 of your closest friends.

It's been full at times since then. The last time I remember it as full was the FSU game in 2015...

upload_2019-11-26_8-55-54.png

GTonFowlerSt

Georgia Tech Fan
As an update, I just received the weekly email from GT football saying its time to "Claim Your Free Ticket to GT vs UGA". In the email, it says all students who claim this ticket will sit in the south endzone.

What this is telling me is that once again, no students will be located in the south endzone for the UGA game. The GTAA needs to start selling these tickets to regular fans, or completely redesign the whole area. Clear out the stands and make it a raised field where families and students can gather to watch the game (see UVA, Duke, and Clemson fields). It may not always be full, but at least it wouldn't be an eyesore every game.

GTFLETCH

Banned
As an update, I just received the weekly email from GT football saying its time to "Claim Your Free Ticket to GT vs UGA". In the email, it says all students who claim this ticket will sit in the south endzone.

What this is telling me is that once again, no students will be located in the south endzone for the UGA game. The GTAA needs to start selling these tickets to regular fans, or completely redesign the whole area. Clear out the stands and make it a raised field where families and students can gather to watch the game (see UVA, Duke, and Clemson fields). It may not always be full, but at least it wouldn't be an eyesore every game.
TRUTH

slugboy

Staff member
I’d say the inexpensive quality TV sets are one of the biggest factors in attendance decline. When HDTVs got cheaper, you saw the effect on attendance then. You have great sound and a great view of the game, and your own beer

Well, some people have their own beer at the game, if they’re sneaky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

A lot of students go home for thanksgiving holidays. I did since I was from.out of state.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We played fine the first half not great but fine. 2 nd half we sucked eggs.
But what was more disappointing was our fans. 35 percent of the Stadium was Tech and this is a home game. If you really think a 5 star or even a 4 star that was at that game would play here you are kidding yourself.
And to the season ticket holder who sits next to me and sold your tickets to 4 uga fans may you rot in hel*. And I promise you I will spill all my drink on you next year.
One thing about uga they kept the wrong QB Fromm will not win a national championship.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
It’s a 5 hour drive home after a game. I would make the trip more often, if we put a quality team on the field and I didn’t have to wonder why I wasted my time, money and attention.