Attendance

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I did not think there were that many people in East Alabama... ;)

Where can I get the statistic for number of Tech grads within an hours drive of Atlanta? Or maybe 2. It took nearly 2 hours to drive from Milton to campus on Thursday.

It takes me less time sometimes, to get to GT from Auburn than when I lived in Avalon.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Very much agree with this post. If you live within a 4 hour drive if Atlanta and you don’t attend the home games then DO NOT COMPLAIN. Your absense very much affects the atmosphere and it translates to the play on the field. Pretty easy fix.

Agree.

There’s a lot of weak @ss excuses on here. Either it’s important to you or it’s not.

If you post on here, then I assume GT football is something that matters to you and that you’ll find a way to show up and support the team.

If we continue to withhold our support (funds and attendance), then we will continue to flounder.

901jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Long time lurker here but thought I'd weigh in. I was a freshman for the 09 season and remember a very vibrant student section in lower north, granted that was for a very good team. A few years later they made the north end zone for student groups only. If you weren't in a group that had a block you had to go south. That fragmented the students and neither section had the raucous atmosphere the north did my first few years in my opinion. I'm not sure how they do it now. I've been in Memphis for a few years and haven't had the chance to get back to a game since.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
38K at last night’s game. Student section (north end zone) was fairly well attended.

Assuming there are 55k seats, you believe the stadium was 70% full? Absolutely no way the stadium was more than 50%. I was in the Upper East and couldn't see that side but unless the East was 80% full or so (which I doubt because from the goal line north hardly anyone was near us) the East couldn't make up the difference. I doubt there were 30k in the seats.

It takes me less time sometimes, to get to GT from Auburn than when I lived in Avalon.
I was completely surprised, but there was virtually no traffic from Augusta to Atlanta Thursday. Even with some slow traffic flow in the 2 miles before the perimeter and relatively slow traffic flow on the connector (but MUCH LESS than last Saturday), I made it in 2 hours and 20 minutes. Last Saturday it took me close to 3 hours.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I was completely surprised, but there was virtually no traffic from Augusta to Atlanta Thursday. Even with some slow traffic flow in the 2 miles before the perimeter and relatively slow traffic flow on the connector (but MUCH LESS than last Saturday), I made it in 2 hours and 20 minutes. Last Saturday it took me close to 3 hours.
Same here coming from the North down l-75 really not bad.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Sorry supersized, the drive from Milton/Avalon was 40 minutes to the Klaus lot last Saturday. Thursday night... forgetaboutit.

I estimate attendance at about 50% maybe a little less. Few NCST fans.

Swarm_764

Georgia Tech Fan
Currently, as someone mentioned above, the north student section is only block seating. Most, if not all, of these blocks are fraternities.

The south student section is for all students without a block. It is called the “Swarm Section” and has been virtually empty all season.

Todd has made his intentions of ending the segmented student section very clear. I think as soon as next year, all students will be in the north section. He also has been reaching out to leaders on campus, starting in Greek Life, for ideas on how to improve the game day experience with the goal of getting students in the games earlier and staying longer.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Alumni Association
My recollection is that there are only about 50,000 living GT alumni n the entire state fo Georgia. And that there are about 150,000 UGa alumni in the Atlanta metro area....all date comes from the Alumni Associations, and Gt has a more concise breakdown that UGa does, iirc.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I been on this band wagon before but we’re a unique school and need to leverage our advantages:

a. We should have all the major tech, business and industrial companies on campus on game day. Give them areas to showcase their stuff and attract talent (students and alumni)

b. Atlanta has a vibrant music scene so I understand. How about pre/post-game concerts?

c. Food- get the restaurants in here and line them up. We should be top notch in amenities at the games. Get an damn IE to figure out the lines.

d. Spread out the damn seats and make the areas more user friendly. Do we still have the piss troughs?

e. Video boards in the stadium. For heaven’s sake make them work properly. Need ones in the corners for fans with less than optimal views. At least they’ve fixed cell service/wi-fi.

f. Maybe have stuff like Megatron signing autographs, local bands playing at half time, etc.

Crap there’s a bunch more. Is our leadership so dense they can’t figure anything out? ****, hire me and I’ll go hold their dicks through the process.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
The entire marketing push is targeting young fans and basically ignoring the seniors. What do ya expect?
Unbelievable...
First of all this is the epitome of the “millennial mindset”. If they don’t cater to me then screw em!

Secondly, there are a lot of seniors at games. A lot of the people that sit around me are older. They don’t get bent out of shape bc of marketing. They come bc they are Tech fans.

The marketing may be a problem for you, but it’s not a problem for seniors.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I been on this band wagon before but we’re a unique school and need to leverage our advantages:

a. We should have all the major tech, business and industrial companies on campus on game day. Give them areas to showcase their stuff and attract talent (students and alumni)

b. Atlanta has a vibrant music scene so I understand. How about pre/post-game concerts?

c. Food- get the restaurants in here and line them up. We should be top notch in amenities at the games. Get an damn IE to figure out the lines.

d. Spread out the damn seats and make the areas more user friendly. Do we still have the piss troughs?

e. Video boards in the stadium. For heaven’s sake make them work properly. Need ones in the corners for fans with less than optimal views. At least they’ve fixed cell service/wi-fi.

f. Maybe have stuff like Megatron signing autographs, local bands playing at half time, etc.

Crap there’s a bunch more. Is our leadership so dense they can’t figure anything out? ****, hire me and I’ll go hold their dicks through the process.

We should be giving out some of those upper north seats that are always empty to big brother/big sister volunteers, CHOA, stuff like that. Builds the fans for the next generation, builds good press, and it's a good thing to do. It's not like we're selling those yet, so no loss of income. We do this for games like the Citadel, but you can extend it to other games as well.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
The GT fan base is one of the worst in the ACC and probably D1 in general and compared to SEC is absolutely pitiful. The excuses are comical, as if other fan bases don't have jobs, kids, traffic, etc. Then there is the sit on your hands aspect of the GT fan base which is really annoying. Many of the fans that do show up are more likely to get loud to denigrate our own team instead of support them or denigrate the opponent. We are routinely the visiting team on our own field or court, even when our fans outnumber the visiting fans because of the sit on your hands effect. A lot of GT fans at the games are more likely to grumble about another GT fan standing up in front of them than they are to yell TO HELL WITH GEORGIA. It's astonishing. I am no psychologist, but I think it's a personality thing more than anything that goes along with the nerd culture, and I am an engineering/nerd alum myself.

Specific to football attendance, Bobby Dodd Stadium has no business seating 55,000. It should have 42,000 seats tops. Playing in a half empty stadium does affect the team on the field, and then when the empty half is filled with visitor fans like it will be for COFH, it's gotta be downright demoralizing for the team on field.

Full disclosure... I am an alum and bball season ticket holder who puts 4 butts in seats for every bball home game every year. I only attend a handful of football games through the years (Pitt game this year).