Attendance

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
38K at last night’s game. Student section (north end zone) was fairly well attended.

We are the problem. Not the students, Gen-Zers. Say what you want - but the student section has been fairly full and bought-in.

I’m calling out the Alumni who complain, don’t spend money on tickets, don’t support the AA fund, or don’t even offer encouragement/ support to the program / players. This also includes the Gold seat section who can’t be bothered to be in their seats before kickoff.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
38K at last night’s game. Student section (north end zone) was fairly well attended.

We are the problem. Not the students, Gen-Zers. Say what you want - but the student section has been fairly full and bought-in.

I’m calling out the Alumni who complain, don’t spend money on tickets, don’t support the AA fund, or don’t even offer encouragement/ support to the program / players. This also includes the Gold seat section who can’t be bothered to be in their seats before kickoff.

I doubt any of them are on this forum to read this. I come here out of habit and the hope I may care again one day. But I don't. Maybe when/if the current coach shows he has learned how to coach and comes up with a philosophy that provides an advantage to make up for our fundamental GT deficiencies. "Money Down" is not a philosophy.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I doubt any of them are on this forum to read this. I come here out of habit and the hope I may care again one day. But I don't. Maybe when/if the current coach shows he has learned how to coach and comes up with a philosophy that provides an advantage to make up for our fundamental GT deficiencies. "Money Down" is not a philosophy.

What if lack of fan support is one of the fundamental GT deficiencies?

"You get what you pay for" applies to football programs, too.

I agree with you about the alumni, but to say the student section has been "fairly full" is just plain BS. There have been virtually zero students in the south stands student section every game this year, and the frat section in the lower north is NEVER anywhere close to being full. As far as "bought-in", yes those who are there appear to be, but there are just too few of them.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
Why would you take the time to write this?

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow

Very much agree with this post. If you live within a 4 hour drive if Atlanta and you don’t attend the home games then DO NOT COMPLAIN. Your absense very much affects the atmosphere and it translates to the play on the field. Pretty easy fix.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you about the alumni, but to say the student section has been "fairly full" is just plain BS. There have been virtually zero students in the south stands student section every game this year, and the frat section in the lower north is NEVER anywhere close to being full. As far as "bought-in", yes those who are there appear to be, but there are just too few of them.

Quinlan suggests the south endzone section may be removed, we will see.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck

The north stands yesterday had more students in it than most CPJ games the past 3 years. South stands was empty, but south stands rarely has anyone anyway. I agree with OP. The problem is not the students, its the alumni/casual fan.

FLTech

Georgia Tech Fan
To be fair.. traffic in ATL was awful yesterday. I had a kid that had a project due today and I did not have the time for traffic and a Tech game. In addition I had another kid who had his first practice for basketball.

If the traffic weren’t so bad I would have stopped by the game but I had kids to get home to.

Don’t get me wrong, if the game was to be meaningful, I would have found a way to make it to the game. Having said that, the ESPN announcers said it was a great environment for a Thursday night game.

We had more Tech fans at the stadium than the Braves had in a playoff game so I guess that is something

Last edited:

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck

Student section was fairly full? The south was damn near empty and the north was only full around the band. Thursday night games used to be very attended by students, north, south and flowing into the upper east

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Student section was fairly full? The south was damn near empty and the north was only full around the band. Thursday night games used to be very attended by students, north, south and flowing into the upper east
The students have all been moved to the north stands I believe. I thought the student section did a great job Thursday night. Also a good mix of band and piped in music. Lower east (my section was pathetic). And if traffic is a problem ride Marta. Bottom line is the fans that wanted to be there were there to watch two very bad teams. Overall a fun game.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
The entire marketing push is targeting young fans and basically ignoring the seniors. What do ya expect?

No one is being asked to change their way of life here. Game still kicks off at the same time, team still has GT on its jersey, they still play on the flats, and a W is a W. My dad was very content Thursday night walking out of BDS. I won’t disagree that marketing is targeting a younger crowd, as it should be, but it shouldn’t be a reason to not attend.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t blame fans for not showing up. After decades with no sustained success most fan bases would be in a similar state. I also don’t blame CPJ or Collins. I think the lack of support from the Institute is well known by coaches which is the primary reason our HC position is not attractive to proven, top-notch head coaches. P5 programs were always leery of CPJs offense which is why we were able to get a coach with such a strong record of success. I’m really not sold on Collins and yet I don’t know of any coaches I’d prefer over Collins who were actually interested in the job. This fanbase has put up with a lot and will show up in greater numbers if and when we field a competitive team.

GTFLETCH

Banned

No...the problem is the piss poor coaching...this team has talent to be .500 and most fans know it.. And are pissed at the Over Hype Geoff Collins brought..

You can only blame so much on the former staff.... You can only hype crappy coaching for so long....

You want fans at the games....Coach em up...

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Attendance. I don’t even know where to start, so I’ll start at the beginning.

The NCAA did a comprehensive study on attendance and in brief, the top factors that drive attendance are: urban vs rural location, density of alumni < 5 mi of the school, and third, the quality of the opponent.

In Tech’s case, we are clearly an urban school. Against other urban schools, we do ok, even if the numbers aren’t big ... they are stable.

Density of alumni < 5 mi of the school. We don’t do well here. Not a lot of factories near Tech. At Auburn, there’s 50,000 grads with a 20 min drive.

Quality of opponent. Re NC State, in Atlanta, no one cares. The ACC is not as big a draw as say, Alabama, simply because we’re an ACC school in the heart of SEC country.

The recipe for attendance is simple ... play better opponents, win more often, and encourage the alumni and students to show up.

Note: “As an Auburn employee, I must get 2-3 requests a DAY to attend sports events. They really drive everyone to attend everything. And most of the games, not just football, are full. Tech seems to take the attitude of Vanderbilt which is, the admin doesn’t care and neither do the alumni. But they do it and try to enjoy themselves.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
The student section at best was "fairly well attended" And more likely about as well attended as any other game this year. Student attendance has waned.

What happened to the Swarm? Used to be the south endzone was full. Have all of the student tickets been moved to the North? And if all of the students are in the North endzone, then student attendance sucks and needs to improve along with all the old folks.

Attendance will improve when a 3-8 team turns into an 8-3 or an 10-1 team going into the Gga game with a chance to win. I have had trouble giving away my extra two tickets this year. I expect the Uga game atmosphere will be majority red...

Attendance is not a "chicken or the egg". Casual fans are not going to invest in a team that had the first home shut out in decades. (As in a really bad team). And in my opinion, that includes the students too. Student attendance will increase as the number of wins increases.