Attendance Next Year - Predictions Please

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Let's oversimplify and assume we have the following types of candidates
  1. Shotgun spread NCAA offense (E.g., Tony Elliot)
  2. Prostyle offense (E.g., Whisenhunt)
  3. Another 3O (E.g., Monken)
  4. Defense oriented (E.g., Venables)

What's your expectation of attendance at BDS next year with each?

Also what year should we compare to: 2018, or 2017 when Georgia was on the schedule?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
3. Would be about the same as this year. All the others would see a little spike for a period and it'll either stay there or go down depending on whether we win or not.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
USF - 40k
Citadel - 30k
NC St - 45k
Pitt - 45k
VT - 50k
UNC - 45k
UGA - 55k

Average: ~44k

OK to compare to 17 or 18. Clemson is like UGA in terms of attendance. I don’t think the type of O really matters. Winning may boost the later half of the year.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
1) a little better to start after mid season the same as this year
2) about like B** L****
3) same to start then if we win better if not lower
4) he won't come

Who ever is the coach will come into a divided fan base till they win

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
USF - 40k
Citadel - 30k
NC St - 45k
Pitt - 45k
VT - 50k
UNC - 45k
UGA - 55k

OK to compare to 17 or 18. Clemson is like UGA in terms of attendance. I don’t think the type of O really matters. Winning may boost the later half of the year.
USF 48k
The Citadel 26k
NCSU 40k
Pitt 35k
VT 44k
UNC 39k
UGA 55k
So you don't think the type of offense or coach affects attendance?

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Can’t give a prediction, but I probably not going to renew my tickets if the coach is 1,2, and 4 in not realistic. I think Monken is the right man for the job. I think you get the Integrity, graduation, clean program that we had under CPJ. CPJ said many times that GT was similar to coaching at one of the Academy schools. I don’t think you will see a big increase because I think the fan base will be split no matter who is hired.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
So you don't think the type of offense or coach affects attendance?
I don’t think we are too far from our floor, so I don’t expect much of a decline (if any). If we start playing really exciting football AND win, i do think we can realize an attendance boost.. but I think winning is the more important factor.

Matt E

GT Athlete
Can’t give a prediction, but I probably not going to renew my tickets if the coach is 1,2, and 4 in not realistic. I think Monken is the right man for the job. I think you get the Integrity, graduation, clean program that we had under CPJ. CPJ said many times that GT was similar to coaching at one of the Academy schools. I don’t think you will see a big increase because I think the fan base will be split no matter who is hired.

Hopefully this is an emotional post. For example, I hope we don’t hire Monken, but if he is the guy I’ll have my *** in Bobby Dodd because I love my school. Once the hire is made we have to get behind the coach, if he was your choice or not.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think we would see roughly the same if Whisenhunt or Monken got hired. If the other two, maybe an extra 5-10 thousand for a couple of year and could change depending on how well the team is doing .

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
What’s the number for each of the scenarios? I assume one of those styles is exciting to you.

If I’m not mistaken you’ve been pretty gung ho about CPJ and the option affecting attendance.
I say if we go with number 1 assuming it's Tony Elliot and we start off 3-0 or something like that i say we average at least 50k

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I think hiring Elliot will effect Student Section attendance greatly, won’t change sidewalk fan much until he wins. The students would rally around him and his young energry and passion like Pastner’s first year. Having a great student section always makes the game feel more packed than it really is.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I will not make an attempt at this, but I doubt attendance will go up in the near future. If the next coach can have success, which for me is exciting no matter the system, attendance will be higher and more consistent. I can predict that the guys/gals in the gold seats will not stay in their seats, especially at kickoff. I can predict that the majority of the student sections, like so many others, will not be there for 12 noon kickoffs. I can predict that for most games, the upper North stands will be sparsely used.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Attendance will be within the usual control limits and subject to common cause variation. It hasn't moved much (outside of statistical control) since 1990. Hiring a new coach is a bit of "special cause", so I actually might expect it to trend up ... but I don't expect much movement either way. I think the better question is what will the the STH portion? If we hit our target (25,000, I think) ... we're good. That's a stable base to work from.

Jmonty71

Banned
USF - 40k
Citadel - 30k
NC St - 45k
Pitt - 45k
VT - 50k
UNC - 45k
UGA - 55k

Said perfect. As an example... Most of us like the Braves, right? When the Braves were losing (mid 80s) they barely had 3000 in the stadium, come the 90s and all of the sudden 10k, per game. People tend to follow winners. I know it's a bandwagon thing, but it's true. Hell, how many Bama fans all of the sudden popped up over the last 5-6 years?