Attendance Down Significantly (AJC)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Wow!
Ignoring 202 b/c that is an anomaly, that is a huge drop in percentage.... 2019 was 81% and 2021 is 69%

Yes. 2021 has been bad for attendance, but it's not just been GT. A lot of other programs have seen dramatic drops as well. COVID has played a part, and people choosing to spend less for entertainment in a time of runaway inflation is also a likely culprit, but the fact that we will once again have a losing season also plays a part.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Alcorn state 39719
Clemson 50595
Bowling Green 40740
Duke 41709
Miami 48217
UVa 37543

Was a crappy Home Schedule Alcorn State, Bowling Green; and Duke
Duke was Homecoming, and I don't think there were more than about 30,000 actually there. I remember thinking that this declining attendance is what's going to get Paul canned.
I know he wasn't canned, but that's what I was thinking.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Some are still afraid of COVID exposure. Fans are not wearing masks. I have friends that wanted to go to a Clemson game earlier this year. Bought the tickets on StubHub and then didn't go when wife saw no one was wearing masks on earlier tv game. Maybe only a few percent effect but older fans are still not sure about exposure. It has not stopped me from coming down for two Tech games.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Some are still afraid of COVID exposure. Fans are not wearing masks. I have friends that wanted to go to a Clemson game earlier this year. Bought the tickets on StubHub and then didn't go when wife saw no one was wearing masks on earlier tv game. Maybe only a few percent effect but older fans are still not sure about exposure. It has not stopped me from coming down for two Tech games.
I'm 69 and and still go .

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I was down for HC this year. We were with about 20 alums from the 60's and their wives. Staying at a hotel near campus. Not one person spoke to support our coach. Several didn't go to the game this year and stayed at the hotel. Most are from out of state and this is their one game each year. Apathy has started to set in. Now I must also say these are not die hard fans and the attendance was down due to COVID concerns.

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
Covid (and apathy) kept us away from the last couple of games in 2020, but if we end up not attending the uGA game it will definitely have 100% to do with our lack of confidence in the current coaching staff and nothing whatsoever to do with covid. Not to mention how NOT FUN it is to attend with 70% of the stadium red and barking. Couple those things with the noon kickoff and travel plans for seeing family on T-day and there are a lot of reasons why to skip this one. There won't be any red in our seats whatever we decide.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
This might be the dumbest thing I’ve read on the board. You really recycled the “4 stars UGA, Clemson, & UGA didn’t want” line. So what about the other 62 other P5 schools? How many Top 250, let alone Top 100, did we have prior to this? If it that easy why hasn’t been done at Tech before 2007? We can criticize without incredulous statements like this.
First of all we aren’t out recruiting the other 62 P5 schools. We had a 40 something ranked class last year and took a bunch of guys in the portal last minute to fill up. 2nd of all, I never said anyone has done it at Tech before but I did say that we always should’ve been able too. Also to answer your own question : think of how many coaches had These facilities, This amount of $, This big of a recruiting staff, and Adidas. Also, how many of his Temple recruits are about to go to the league or have transferred somewhere and done something meaningful? Hell the talent he left Temple with is so bare they are 3-7… Notice a pattern?

slugboy

Staff member
First of all we aren’t out recruiting the other 62 P5 schools. We had a 40 something ranked class last year and took a bunch of guys in the portal last minute to fill up. 2nd of all, I never said anyone has done it at Tech before but I did say that we always should’ve been able too. Also to answer your own question : think of how many coaches had These facilities, This amount of $, This big of a recruiting staff, and Adidas. Also, how many of his Temple recruits are about to go to the league or have transferred somewhere and done something meaningful? Hell the talent he left Temple with is so bare they are 3-7… Notice a pattern?

It looked to me we did what a lot of strong teams are doing in basketball--addressing positions of need for experienced players with transfers. It was a combination of that and liking the transfers better than some of the high school options.

I think last year would have been a lower ranked recruiting class than the year before anyway, but it sure looked like we took transfers we wanted, and took them first, and recruited fewer high school players because of that.

Look how many of the transfers are starting; that alone should show that it wasn't a "we have space because we couldn't recruit, so let's fill up with transfers" situation.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Covid (and apathy) kept us away from the last couple of games in 2020, but if we end up not attending the uGA game it will definitely have 100% to do with our lack of confidence in the current coaching staff and nothing whatsoever to do with covid. Not to mention how NOT FUN it is to attend with 70% of the stadium red and barking. Couple those things with the noon kickoff and travel plans for seeing family on T-day and there are a lot of reasons why to skip this one. There won't be any red in our seats whatever we decide.
If yall would come, it would only be 69% red. You're creating a bigger red ratio by not coming, so you're adding to the problem.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Wake up Stansbury ( this is what CGC has done for us, and this is tickets sold not people at the game) 4 more years we will make Duke look good .

NIU 33651
Kennesaw 35195
UNC 37450
Pitt 36383
VT 35543
BC 31511
As a famous politician once said, "It's the economy, stupid!"

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

A lot of grasping for straws here

Read for yourself why things are sour at temple

yellowjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Or, we get the bounces we needed this year to win the close games. Best example is '14 when we got all the bounces and '15 when we did not. Like it or not, we are a few breaks from being 9-1. (Does that mean we are a good team or lucky team?; also a few breaks from being 1-9).

Is our coaching staff great? No, that's why they are at GT and not a factory school. BUT, we are getting higher ranker players (some flame out some excel) and the more experience, the more breaks we should get. I'm still a believer of where CGC says we can go, but my belief in him being the captain of the ship is severely waning. And my sliver of belief comes from being a college coach and knowing what its like to tell a player (18 to 22 year old kid) to cover an assignment and them not do it (see BC QB touchdown runs). They play a mans game yet are still stupid college kids.

I never have understood mid season firings. Esp the OC or DC, (see UF vs Samford). As an AD, just send out feelers and listen to backdoor chatter and be ready (with the big money folks) as soon as the season ends to cut bait and start interviewing.

I just sent my A-T Fund check, and will renew my season tix, and possibly add one ticket. Even though some on here feel differently, money is what we need so I'm not going to stop giving just to prove some stupid point.

Go Tech! I'll PROUDLIY wear my GT apparel and be as loud as I can when the mutts come into our house. I'll stay to the end, win or lose, and watch the band do their thing at the end. And then make the 3hr+ drive back home thinking "Next year will be our year!" and getting ready to cheer for Alabama the following week.

THWG!
10–4 and especially cheering for Bama against the mutts

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Covid is one thing but I live 4 hrs away and try to go to a game a yr anyway but with this crap show I have little incentive.
Paul Johnson said he would retire from coaching football when it stopped being fun. Fans’ attendance of poorly-coached and played games falls under the same rubric.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This might be the dumbest thing I’ve read on the board. You really recycled the “4 stars UGA, Clemson, & UGA didn’t want” line. So what about the other 62 other P5 schools? How many Top 250, let alone Top 100, did we have prior to this? If it that easy why hasn’t been done at Tech before 2007? We can criticize without incredulous statements like this.
He's young too. Take that into consideration when evaluating these posts.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It looked to me we did what a lot of strong teams are doing in basketball--addressing positions of need for experienced players with transfers. It was a combination of that and liking the transfers better than some of the high school options.

I think last year would have been a lower ranked recruiting class than the year before anyway, but it sure looked like we took transfers we wanted, and took them first, and recruited fewer high school players because of that.

Look how many of the transfers are starting; that alone should show that it wasn't a "we have space because we couldn't recruit, so let's fill up with transfers" situation.

We raided the portal primarily to keep class separation on the roster.

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
If yall would come, it would only be 69% red. You're creating a bigger red ratio by not coming, so you're adding to the problem.

I get it, and yes it bothers me. We have endured the sea of red fleabags every other year since 2008 and it sucks worse every time. Not sure there is enough alcohol in the world to get me through that this year. If I do decide to go I am wearing a bag over my head!