Athlon ACC Prediction

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Athlon has released their predictions for the ACC standings in 2014.

Defending champions Florida State will meet with Virginia Tech in the ACC Championship Game, according to their perspective.

Here is a look at the rest of the standings:

Atlantic: 1) Florida State 13-0 (8-0), 2) Clemson 9-3 (7-1), 3) Louisville 8-4 (5-3), 4) Syracuse 6-6 (3-5), 5) Boston College 6-6 (3-5), 6) N.C. State 6-6 (2-6), 7) Wake Forest 3-9 (0-8).

Coastal: 1) Virginia Tech 9-4 (6-2), 2) Miami 8-4 (5-3), 3) North Carolina 8-4 (5-3), 4) Pittsburgh 8-4 (4-4), 5) Duke 8-4 (4-4), 6) Georgia Tech 6-6 (3-5), 7) Virginia 3-9 (1-7).

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/acc-football-2014-predictions

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Which prediction scares us the most?
Georgia Tech seems a little low at No. 6 in the Coastal Division. The Yellow Jackets went 5–3 in the league last year — highlighted by a 24-point win over Coastal Division champ Duke — and have a remarkable streak of 19 straight seasons without a losing record in league play. So why so low this year? Well, as we mentioned earlier, the Coastal is wide open, and not much separates the top six teams in the division. But we had to pick someone sixth, and Georgia Tech was the choice to finish behind Pittsburgh and Duke. The Jackets have some concerns at the skill positions, most notably at quarterback after the surprising transfer of quarterback Vad Lee. Some Georgia Tech fans might consider Justin Thomas an upgrade, but he has yet to prove he can operate Paul Johnson’s option attack with consistency. Also, Tech’s top two rushers (David Sims and Robert Godhigh) are gone, and the defense must replace six starters. The schedule presents some challenges as well; the Jackets — unlike Miami, Pitt and Duke — have to play Clemson from the Atlantic Division and two of their key swing games are on the road — at Pittsburgh and North Carolina. – David Fox (@DavidFox615) - See more at: http://athlonsports.com/college-football/acc-football-2014-predictions#sthash.hgNtmxtl.dpuf

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
2014 College Football Rankings: #47 Georgia Tech

Final Analysis 

The Jackets seem stuck around the seven-win mark, almost always competitive but usually falling short against top-tier competition. If all the variables fall their way, this could be a nine-win team that contends for the Coastal Division title. But if Thomas struggles and the defense takes a step back, six or seven wins could be the ceiling.

http://athlonsports.com/college-foo...predictions-no-47-georgia-tech-yellow-jackets

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess this prediction is not that different from years past. For the coastal, we always seem to be placed middle to bottom of the pack, and VT, Miami, and UNC are typically picked in the top 3, with VT or Miami going to the championship against FSU. This is a very predictable pre-season prediction.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
It's accurate enough. To me this year has a 2008 feel. Let's roll the dice and see what happens, I think the only people expecting much out of our team are GT fans.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Reasonable-I don't see any reason to dispute this much.

It could happen, but we have been 4-4 in the ACC once and never worse under CPJ.

8 of our 11 starters on D and several backups have played a significant number of snaps. Our O has played well enough to win about 9 games for the last few years. We have reason to expect better, not worse.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
It's accurate enough. To me this year has a 2008 feel. Let's roll the dice and see what happens, I think the only people expecting much out of our team are GT fans.

Agreed. I really don't know what to expect out of our guys this season, so what the heck....like you said, let's roll the dice and see what happens.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think the problem here is that these people simply aren't data-driven.

We looked pretty questionable last year too: new soph QB, lost our top RB and WR, new D coordinator. But we ended up pretty much where we have in the last few years and were a couple of bad plays away from doing a whole lot better.

I look at it like this. First, on O we'll be about the same: top 5 in rushing, 30 - 34 ppg … you know, the usual. This is, I think, the main problem with the prediction rags. They don't realize that Tech is at the reloading stage. We run a system offense and we usually have people who can run it just about as well year after year. They look at teams that lose their TB and think that's the same as us losing Godhigh. It isn't. Second, there's the real problem, the D. Here the jury really is out. We were better overall last year, but we had a hard time getting the other sides off the field. We lost out stud DE. Can we improve? Maybe. The players know more what they are doing, the ones we have coming back are decent (especially the back 7), and they've had a year to grow. If we go 7-6, however, it'll be because we couldn't get better on this side of the ball.

And, again, I have to ask: just what exactly are these people smoking to see Pitt in front of Tech? They lose the best DL in the country - and they won't replace him - and their starting QB. You think we have problems?

Squints

Helluva Engineer
And, again, I have to ask: just what exactly are these people smoking to see Pitt in front of Tech? They lose the best DL in the country - and they won't replace him - and their starting QB. You think we have problems?

I think it stems from exactly what you're talking about. Pre-season rankings are all about hype if you ask me. Didn't they win their bowl game due to some hyped up freshman players being key to the victory? I think that's what people are basing their opinion on.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
VT has a 6'6 TE that runs a 4.5. That's a nightmare.
Anyway Duke is being disrespected but that was expected.
I don't see any team in this league right now being more solid than Miami. Massive Oline, stable running backs including Duke Johnson, speedy wideouts, all the starting QB has to do is not screw up. There question is the defense but I think they will be better with the incoming talent.

I can't be mad GT was chosen at 6th but I really think we should be 3rd.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
CFBMatrix also has Tech 6-6 (5-3). That's a a recruiting based ranking adjusted for coaching.

The betting website 5dimes has a few over/unders out so far for the Coastal:
Duke 8.5 wins
Miami, UNC, VT all 7.5 wins

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Did you pick up an Athlon's from last year by mistake?

6-2 wins the Coastal almost certainly if history is any guide. 5-3 with the tie breaker probably wins it. Where do we get 5 wins from? UVA, Pitt, Duke, NC ST, and UNC are 5 that are eminently doable. Do they really scare you? What is our record against UNC, NC State, and Duke the last ten to fifteen years? We get UVA in Atlanta and not Charlottesville. I might be the most worried about NC ST on the road the week before Clemson, but the TO should be humming that late in the season. Don't have enough history with Pitt, but other than their one DT last year, they didn't seem to be more athletic than us. Get Clemson in Atlanta where we usually beat them, and you're up to 6 and can most likely forget about the tie breaker. My guess is that by that late in the season, Clemson has been beaten down by FSU, probably lost close to uga (please let me be wrong), slipped another time, and is already looking forward to the USC-east game with dread. That game will mean a whole lot more to us than to them if we've won the other five I listed. Miami's season depends on how well Duke comes back? We saw what happened when he went out last year. They didn't just reload, so is their talent level being over estimated? Without the yellow hating mutant at QB, VT might be in for more of a fight. He pretty much single handedly beat us the last three years. Win the games we should, count on Miami to continue their ACC drought and VT to implode late. If it comes down to us being able to clinch with a sixth win against Clemson on a cold, wild Saturday night in Atlanta, that's why I love college football.

I believe/hope Butker and Golden are going to pull our fat out of the fire a time or two this year. I can still see Kevin Tisdale in 1990. Without his returns, we lose to Clemson for sure and possibly Duke.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Imo, Athlon's pick for us nationally and in the coastal is low.

I see us winning no less than 8 this season. 10 if the ball bounces our way.

I see us no worse than 3rd in ACC and no lower than the 30's nationally.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Athlon has released their predictions for the ACC standings in 2014.

Defending champions Florida State will meet with Virginia Tech in the ACC Championship Game, according to their perspective.

Here is a look at the rest of the standings:

Atlantic: 1) Florida State 13-0 (8-0), 2) Clemson 9-3 (7-1), 3) Louisville 8-4 (5-3), 4) Syracuse 6-6 (3-5), 5) Boston College 6-6 (3-5), 6) N.C. State 6-6 (2-6), 7) Wake Forest 3-9 (0-8).

Coastal: 1) Virginia Tech 9-4 (6-2), 2) Miami 8-4 (5-3), 3) North Carolina 8-4 (5-3), 4) Pittsburgh 8-4 (4-4), 5) Fluke 8-4 (4-4), 6) Georgia Tech 6-6 (3-5), 7) Virginia 3-9 (1-7).

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/acc-football-2014-predictions

FIFY. Anywho... Duke has a great coach but that is where it ends.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
CFBMatrix also has Tech 6-6 (5-3). That's a a recruiting based ranking adjusted for coaching.

The betting website 5dimes has a few over/unders out so far for the Coastal:
Duke 8.5 wins
Miami, UNC, VT all 7.5 wins

So we are going to lose to either GA Southern or @ Tulane according to CFBMatrix?

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we drop 2 out of 3 in this group (@VT, Miami, @UNC) and drop 2 out of 3 in this group (@Pitt, Clemson, @UGA). Everyone else we should beat by at least two scores (including duke). 8-4 would be my prediction.

Reasonable-I don't see any reason to dispute this much.

The cottage industry of preseason prognostication has gotten so formularized (?). There are at least a couple of dozen posters on this very board that could have concocted an enjoyable and thoroughly believable preview of our season , ranging anywhere from 9-3 to 4-8. And, guess what? They would be just as accurate. What do they teach in these Sports Journalism courses these days?