Athlon: ACC Coaches Talk Anonymously (2022)

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Most of those comments are asinine. The second one is the only one that seemed to be credible, which remarked about Chip Long and the cupboard being bare--something knowledgeable people realized when Collins took over, and that 2 (full) recruiting classes has not resolved.

A recent 247 podcast talked about how negative recruiting against Tech has been extreme this year (and this board is responsible for providing some of that negative ammunition). Many of these comments sound like negative recruiting spiel by assistant coaches, rather than objective assessments.
I mostly agree with you, but the bolded part is hilarious. The same things said on this board that are said on every other Tech board, and the "negative ammunition" are conclusions anybody can see and draw on their own. Coaches don't need to come to a message board to figure out the obvious.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Also, you are what your record is.
Yeah, I remember a previous coach who had a winning season and it hardly slowed down the negative recruiting, but if you are only winning 3 games a season I imagine that same negative recruiting is exponentially more effective. Negative recruiting against Tech has been around since Vince Dooley but some seasons pour fuel on the fire.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Most of those comments are asinine. The second one is the only one that seemed to be credible, which remarked about Chip Long and the cupboard being bare--something knowledgeable people realized when Collins took over, and that 2 (full) recruiting classes has not resolved.

A recent 247 podcast talked about how negative recruiting against Tech has been extreme this year (and this board is responsible for providing some of that negative ammunition). Many of these comments sound like negative recruiting spiel by assistant coaches, rather than objective assessments.
Get real. No one on here is important enough to move the needle one way or another on the recruiting trail. This is a small time message board and to think otherwise is delusional. The on field performance the past three years provides more ammo for negative recruiting then all the posts on here combined.

If you truly believe what you're saying then maybe you should own up to all the negative ammunition you've provided during the tenure of the last guy. We all know you won't though.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Everybody knows this Athlon issue is the "trash talk behind other team's backs" issue. It wouldn't surprise me if it was one of their best sellers. Nobody is skimming through looking for a compliment. The writer also gets to choose which bits are the juiciest to write down.
There's no telling if someone said "the WRs look good though", and that didn't make the cut.
If you want a good breakdown, watch the film.
This is true but I have seen past years when the commentary was more complimentary or balanced than this year. It could be that there are simply more bad teams to trash than usual in the ACC. Virginia Tech, UVA, Duke Tech, Louisville, and Syracuse all have issues of one kind or another that offer easy targets. Clemson, Wake Forest, NC State, and Miami should be pretty good but none of them would scare UGA or Alabama that much. IIWII

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
It was obvious to me that they were not playing well together and seemed to absolutely refuse to attack the ball. I know I am over simplifying, but it did appear that they were not well coached, and a couple of players seemed to be too big and not quick enough to play their assigned position. That, in my opinion is a coaching issue that should have been taken care of by Collins or Thacker. I do think Collins has the expertise to solve the problem. If he does not, he is probably gone.
What gets me is that it seems even in the midst of the secondary's dreadful play, "communications problems" were fingered as a big culprit.
But what was done, during the season, to fix those? Anything? Apparently not.
Speaks volumes of the lack of coaching acumen from the top down, for me.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
What gets me is that it seems even in the midst of the secondary's dreadful play, "communications problems" were fingered as a big culprit.
But what was done, during the season, to fix those? Anything? Apparently not.
Speaks volumes of the lack of coaching acumen from the top down, for me.

Or maybe, just maybe… some players thought they were bigger than a scheme that has been effective & productive everywhere else

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
i have not seen anyone say collins is great or even good/average on this forum in the past year. i would even say the vast majority of us “collins defenders” wouldn’t care if he was let go tomorrow. unfortunately due to financial constraints that has not been feasible so the situation is what it is and it was never changing this off-season or either of the two before that. as fans god forbid they still believe things can get turned around and still see the positives in this team cause objectively there has been some and the praise isn’t a quarter as loud as the constant negativity.

the negative nancies also feel like they are presenting new information by reminding everyone how bad we’ve been when everyone is well aware of that by now. it’s just gotten really old
The losing is what's old.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Or maybe, just maybe… some players thought they were bigger than a scheme that has been effective & productive everywhere else
You can see that kind of thing a lot better than I can. However, I have pointed out several times that I saw the secondary still looking to the sideline for the play call on some plays when the ball was snapped during the Northern Illinois game, and I still saw that happen in the ND game. I am not trying to say that there were no problems with the players, but I am saying that there were obvious problems with coaching that was not fixed all the way to game 11. I am sure there were plenty of mistakes by players. You are pointing to attitude problems, and there may have been some. However, there were most certainly coaching issues which even I could see.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good to read about other teams. I hope NC State and Wake have good years.

UVa doesn't look promising but at least VT should suck.

And we should have a different HC next year. This year our trips and hiking arrangements have been done without any consideration of football. Nice.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Just a thought, maybe CGC wanted to change out a lot of his staff, possibly even was having those thoughts before last season started. We'll never know but could be you just keep hands off. You're going to start the following year running your type defense why give any of it away, just let it be for now type thinking. Just a thought I've had more than once.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
The most damning statement was that CGC‘s recruiting is no better than CPJ’s, but we all know that is not true.
Just how much better is .86__ vs .84__ ? Are the rating services really able to accurately measure the .02 difference ? Body types are better for sure for a traditional O, but the promised and hyped elite recruiting hasn't arrived yet. How has Cincy become relevant....coaching maybe?