Athletic Director's Update

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Playing the third string QB can have that effect on an opposing team...

The freshmen qb that scored touchdowns on 5 of his 1st 6 possessions against us played the entire 1st half and was held to 7 points. The game with Syracuse looked nothing like our game with them.

Last edited:

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Great reading! There’s more thoughtfulness in this one thread than on the entire chat sites of some of our rivals, particularly that of the unviable canine sub-specie in Athens.

I’ve been thinking about a branding and direction for our football program. By position, what player group is the most intelligent and works together the best, ie the most ‘normal’? The offensive line. So we should become the o-line institute, a producer of Pro-caliber offensive linemen. We should be able to recruit good o-line talent ; many of those guys can handle the school work. But we’ll have to ditch CPJ and the flexbone in favor of a coaching staff whose offense requires pro-style pass & run blocking skills. We build an o-line, and we can attract good offensive skill players. We build a good o-line, and we’ll have an easier time attracting defensive talent because they will be practicing daily against those good blockers. We build a good o-line, and we can win again.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The freshmen qb that scored touchdowns on 5 of his 1st 6 possessions against us played the entire 1st half and was held to 7 points. The game with Syracuse looked nothing like our game with them.

I wouldn't read too much into it just yet. There's a lot less at stake when you're the backup coming into a game vs the brand new starter. He's a freshman, and considering the distractions the week prior, with Bryants departure, him playing poorly isn't really shocking. After he was knocked out of the game, the rest was pretty much history. Syracuse scored about as many points (+2) as we did and Clemson gifted one TD to them with that muffed punt. If Lawrence comes back, I don't see many teams beating them at all.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Since this is the "Athletics Director's Update" thread I will post my opinion.

Somewhere TStan has a list. He is working a succession plan for Johnson. During his tenure as AD he will replace Johnson. It will be his signature hire. Right or wrong, it will be his signature hire.

Unless the team goes 2-10, he will keep Johnson next year. (My opinion)

I suspect he is working with the big hitter alumni on buy outs and money for the next coach. I am not a fire Johnson advocate. I am trying to be a realist here. TStan is working the succession plan, no matter what the time frame is. It is his job.

I spoke to some of the folks around the East Upper Deck and got mixed reviews on what folks thought of his email. There are fans and detractors of the coach and of TStan and his email. My opinion of the email was that he is feeling pressure and in my words, desperation, on keeping the fan base focused. As a former player, I believe he bleeds white and gold, and it is paramount for him to bring the football program to the upper echelon. (Does that make me a TStan fanboy?)

Again, personally, I appreciated the email and his sincerity in addressing how poorly the season was going.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Great reading! There’s more thoughtfulness in this one thread than on the entire chat sites of some of our rivals, particularly that of the unviable canine sub-specie in Athens.

I’ve been thinking about a branding and direction for our football program. By position, what player group is the most intelligent and works together the best, ie the most ‘normal’? The offensive line. So we should become the o-line institute, a producer of Pro-caliber offensive linemen. We should be able to recruit good o-line talent ; many of those guys can handle the school work. But we’ll have to ditch CPJ and the flexbone in favor of a coaching staff whose offense requires pro-style pass & run blocking skills. We build an o-line, and we can attract good offensive skill players. We build a good o-line, and we’ll have an easier time attracting defensive talent because they will be practicing daily against those good blockers. We build a good o-line, and we can win again.
I think u are right.
Back in 08 09 10 ish baylor sucked but had some really good ol guys who went to nfl. When new coach came w aur raid Robert Griffin transfer from u h. Then came some great w r. It all started w OL. No thugs please!

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't read too much into it just yet. There's a lot less at stake when you're the backup coming into a game vs the brand new starter. He's a freshman, and considering the distractions the week prior, with Bryants departure, him playing poorly isn't really shocking. After he was knocked out of the game, the rest was pretty much history. Syracuse scored about as many points (+2) as we did and Clemson gifted one TD to them with that muffed punt. If Lawrence comes back, I don't see many teams beating them at all.
All of your points are spot on. I'd add another. We had to game plan for two great and different QBs. Syracuse only needed to game plan for Lawrence. We did a great job of bottling up Bryant but struggled with Lawrence. Maybe Clemson was benefitting from the dual QB more than people are giving them credit for.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Maybe Clemson was benefitting from the dual QB more than people are giving them credit for.

This. One of my first thoughts was that this was the case, but with a small sample size and an injury, it's hard to make that assertion. I know we benefited from it when we had TW and VL both playing, but when it was just VL, there was less for opposing Ds to scheme for.

I need to use this post to publicly apologize to @GTNavyNuke who has always called for a 2 QB system. I've been traditionally opposed to it, but have recently seen where this could indeed work, and feel like our offense would be ideally suited to run a 2 QB system.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This. One of my first thoughts was that this was the case, but with a small sample size and an injury, it's hard to make that assertion. I know we benefited from it when we had TW and VL both playing, but when it was just VL, there was less for opposing Ds to scheme for.

I need to use this post to publicly apologize to @GTNavyNuke who has always called for a 2 QB system. I've been traditionally opposed to it, but have recently seen where this could indeed work, and feel like our offense would be ideally suited to run a 2 QB system.
This is what Gtswarm is all about.

I sincerely believe that if lj (passing ) was not out for season u would have seen the 2 qb.

DAVID F

Georgia Tech Fan
I would like to throw this out to our fans. When I was young a lot of Uga fans and alumni wanted to see Dooley fired. In his first sixteen years he only had three seasons with more than ten wins. Then he caught lighting in a bootle and to me that was when Uga took off as a program that they have now. A lot of the Uga fans in my home town are in there 50’s and remember those years. That is all they talk about. I stay away from these people as much as I can. I for one would like to see coach stay to see if the defense gets better next year and if recruiting picks up.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Since this is the "Athletics Director's Update" thread I will post my opinion.

Somewhere TStan has a list. He is working a succession plan for Johnson. During his tenure as AD he will replace Johnson. It will be his signature hire. Right or wrong, it will be his signature hire.

Unless the team goes 2-10, he will keep Johnson next year. (My opinion)

I suspect he is working with the big hitter alumni on buy outs and money for the next coach. I am not a fire Johnson advocate. I am trying to be a realist here. TStan is working the succession plan, no matter what the time frame is. It is his job.

I spoke to some of the folks around the East Upper Deck and got mixed reviews on what folks thought of his email. There are fans and detractors of the coach and of TStan and his email. My opinion of the email was that he is feeling pressure and in my words, desperation, on keeping the fan base focused. As a former player, I believe he bleeds white and gold, and it is paramount for him to bring the football program to the upper echelon. (Does that make me a TStan fanboy?)

Again, personally, I appreciated the email and his sincerity in addressing how poorly the season was going.

ALL good CEOs have a list of candidates that they keep and update every year in case a change needs to be made. TS is the CEO of our athletics program.

What will be interesting is the next HC of our football team will be TStan's FIRST HC coaching hire in his AD career. At UCF, he inherited George O'Leary and left right before/after the O'Leary 0-12 meltdown. At Oregon State, TS inherited Gary Anderson. TS was only there for a year before taking the job here.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I have a feeling that CPJ has already told TStan when he plans to retire I honestly don't see him staying past his current contract even if we were winning playoffs. He doesn't want to coach forever. He likes living in atlanta, his daughters singing careers is about to start. I woudl want to be retired by 65 too. Tstan probably has an idea of where he wants to go after, And i hope that start and ends with Jeff Monken. Monken is a bit more flexible on offense and multiple in his option attack. He was at southern ( with shaw he was 50 percent under center and in the gun) he has been at army as well.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I have a feeling that CPJ has already told TStan when he plans to retire I honestly don't see him staying past his current contract even if we were winning playoffs. He doesn't want to coach forever. He likes living in atlanta, his daughters singing careers is about to start. I woudl want to be retired by 65 too. Tstan probably has an idea of where he wants to go after, And i hope that start and ends with Jeff Monken. Monken is a bit more flexible on offense and multiple in his option attack. He was at southern ( with shaw he was 50 percent under center and in the gun) he has been at army as well.

I can get behind this.

slugboy

Staff member

One phrase for "fanboy" is "stan", so that would make you a "TStan stan".

I think the AD letter was "we need a little time to straighten things out, don't be 'jerks'** in the meantime".

**not actually 'jerks'

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
It's frightening that you and several others believe what you posted.

You say "Coach has been successful here." No he hasn't.

He was successful his first 2 years. More on that in a minute.

The next 4 years--2010-2013--he was 23-25 vs FBS opponents. You call that successful? I don't.

Then there was 2014. One poster aptly called the season "Fools Gold."

From 2015 to date he is 19-22, and 16-22 vs FBS. 9-17 vs ACC opponents. You call that successful? I don't.

He was 18-7 his first two years vs FBS opponents. He was 23-25 over the next 4 years. Did he suddenly forget how to coach in 2010, or was Chan Gailey's recruiting that much better? You tell me which is was--but you can't have it both ways.

If Chan Gailey's recruiting was that much better, then your academic argument goes away. The academics didn't suddenly get that much harder or more restrictive when Johnson came (in fact, we have more liberal arts majors than ever). Keep in mind that Johnson has advantages in recruiting that Gailey did not have, like an indoor practice facility.

If he forgot how to coach, then what is your argument for keeping him?

Your post is long on opinion and short on facts and logic.
Excellent post.Should cause PJ backers to reconsider how great a coach they think he is! But, they won't!

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

If we have someone like JT, I prefer single QB who can beat them both ways. Had LJ remained healthy, I would have loved to see if he would have gotten meaningful snaps throwing the ball as a different look.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
It's frightening that you and several others believe what you posted.

You say "Coach has been successful here." No he hasn't.

He was successful his first 2 years. More on that in a minute.

The next 4 years--2010-2013--he was 23-25 vs FBS opponents. You call that successful? I don't.

Then there was 2014. One poster aptly called the season "Fools Gold."

From 2015 to date he is 19-22, and 16-22 vs FBS. 9-17 vs ACC opponents. You call that successful? I don't.

He was 18-7 his first two years vs FBS opponents. He was 23-25 over the next 4 years. Did he suddenly forget how to coach in 2010, or was Chan Gailey's recruiting that much better? You tell me which is was--but you can't have it both ways.

If Chan Gailey's recruiting was that much better, then your academic argument goes away. The academics didn't suddenly get that much harder or more restrictive when Johnson came (in fact, we have more liberal arts majors than ever). Keep in mind that Johnson has advantages in recruiting that Gailey did not have, like an indoor practice facility.

If he forgot how to coach, then what is your argument for keeping him?

Your post is long on opinion and short on facts and logic.
He has had success. Not as much as any of us would like, but to say there’s been no success is false. For every reason you give to discredit the great years, there are reasons to be cited for the bad years that are outside of any coach’s control. Also, your argument about the recruiting “advantage” that we have in the indoor facility would be valid if CPJ were recruiting against Gailey’s GT teams, but he’s not. In reality we’re recruiting against teams who have also improved their facilities since Gailey was here, and most of them have made greater improvements than we have. I’ve been on these GT message boards long enough to have seen you come out from under your rock every time public opinion is trending against CPJ, and then you disappear when things are going well. I seem to recall as soon as he was hired you didn’t like him because he didn’t kiss your *** as much as some previous coach. So you taken every opportunity to kick him when he’s down.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
He has had success. Not as much as any of us would like, but to say there’s been no success is false. For every reason you give to discredit the great years, there are reasons to be cited for the bad years that are outside of any coach’s control. Also, your argument about the recruiting “advantage” that we have in the indoor facility would be valid if CPJ were recruiting against Gailey’s GT teams, but he’s not. In reality we’re recruiting against teams who have also improved their facilities since Gailey was here, and most of them have made greater improvements than we have. I’ve been on these GT message boards long enough to have seen you come out from under your rock every time public opinion is trending against CPJ, and then you disappear when things are going well. I seem to recall as soon as he was hired you didn’t like him because he didn’t kiss your *** as much as some previous coach. So you taken every opportunity to kick him when he’s down.

I've noticed that with a lot of other people who didn't like him from day one, or had their own wants to replace gailey and lost out to this option coach from navy.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have to think that no matter the overall record this season that Tstan understands that our current QB situation is less than ideal because of various injuries and defections this season but there is promising talent in the wings, and that the defense will almost certainly improve if given time. I do expect that he is going to have a serious talk with CPJ in the offseason about special teams and expect for changes to be made.

When have we had an ideal QB situation under CPJ? {Rhetorical}

No apology needed as I don't take much on this board personally. The stuff that does bother me had nothing to do with you and I block those posters. And stay away from the political discussions.

Anyway .......

I have called for 2 QBs for a long time for a bunch of reasons. Like one guy is better one day than another; or it causes the D's to have to prepare for two QBs with different strengths; or one QBs strengths are better against a certain team than another.

What is ironic (cue Alanis Morissette), is that I've come to think our O is so complex that we can't get enough reps in for second QB to be ready enough. Whoever the second QB coming in has been, he has always seemed to only run a few plays. I think it may be a schematic shortcoming of the TO. There is such limited time for practice and so many play variations, that the second QB just won't get the reps. If this were a "standard" offense that the QBs were used to, that would help. (I'm not ready to give up on the TO as it gives us a lot of advantages over other P5 schools; this just may be one shortcoming.)

Beat L'Ville.