Athletic Director's Update May 2019

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Received email earlier today...
I'll let you read it for yourselves -

Dear Georgia Tech Athletics Fans,

It’s hard to believe that we’re wrapping up another year here on The Flats. As the end of the 2018-19 academic and athletics calendars draw near, I’d like to reflect on our EVERYDAY CHAMPIONS formula (Winning + The Institute + Total Person Program = EVERYDAY CHAMPIONS) and some achievements that we have enjoyed in each area this year.

WINNING

Last year (2017-18), we only had three teams that earned points in the Learfield/IMG College Cup standings (which is based on qualifying for the NCAA postseason). That is below the standard that we have here at Georgia Tech.

This year, I am happy to report that we have more than doubled last year’s total, as seven teams have already earned points in the Learfield/IMG College Cup standings (women’s cross country, men’s cross country, football, men’s swimming, women’s indoor track and field, women’s tennis and golf) with another 2-3 teams likely to qualify before the year is over (including our top 10-ranked baseball team). While there is still work to do, this is much more in line with our expectations for Georgia Tech athletics. I am very proud of our coaches and student-athletes who accepted the challenge to achieve more in the athletic realm.

THE INSTITUTE

The academic reputation of the Institute will always be a part of the Georgia Tech athletics brand and our student-athletes continue to achieve at a high level in the classroom.

First, I’d like to congratulate our 65 student-athletes that graduated from Georgia Tech over the weekend. Like I told them during our graduation brunch last Friday, they’re ready to handle the rigors of the professional world because nothing prepares young people to go out and change the world like being a student-athlete at Georgia Tech. I am excited to see what they do and look forward to celebrating their achievements as they continue to be shining examples of our EVERYDAY CHAMPIONS beyond graduation.

Second, I’d like to recognize Coach Bruce Heppler’s golf program and Coach Kenny Thorne’s men’s tennis program for earning NCAA Public Recognition Awards, which honors teams whose Academic Progress Rate (APR) scores are among the top 10 percent nationally in their respective sports. Incredibly, Coach Heppler’s golf team has earned this distinction every year since the APR program was instituted by the NCAA 14 years ago, one of only two Power Five golf programs that has done so. During that same 14-year span, GT golf has won 10 ACC golf championships (including this year’s record-setting victory) and qualified for the NCAA postseason each year.

TOTAL PERSON PROGRAM

Finally, I’d like to thank and offer well wishes to our 20 student-athletes and four staff members that are currently in Puerto Rico as part of our third Jackets Without Borders trip.
For the second year in a row, Jackets Without Borders is in Villa Del Rio, P.R. to assist with the continuing rebuilding efforts following the devastation caused by Hurricane Maria in 2017. I am incredibly proud that Jackets Without Borders was honored recently with the 2018-19 ACC Game Changers Award for community service.

After introducing international service projects at three different institutions now, I have learned that our student-athletes not only provide life-changing assistance to others, but it that they wind up gaining as much from it as they give. It is truly a transformative experience for our student-athletes and another way in which Georgia Tech athletics produces the young people who will change the world.

As always, thank you for your support of Georgia Tech athletics. As we roll into summer, please consider continuing your support of our student-athletes in the following ways:

1. Purchase 2019 football season tickets. Due in large part to the excitement of the beginning of the Geoff Collins era (which has only grown after a record crowd of 21,194 came out for the April 26 spring game) and the great value of season tickets (season tickets beginning at $219, Stinger Mobile Passes beginning at $149), sales remain strong. Click HERE for more information and to purchase season tickets today to help make Bobby Dodd Stadium one of the best homefield advantages in all of college football!
  2. Give to the Alexander-Tharpe Fund. The GTAA fiscal year comes to a close on June 30, so we’re making a year-end push for annual donations to the A-T Fund. A-T Fund annual gifts go directly to student-athlete scholarships, which is the biggest line item in our budget. Every dollar that is raised for scholarships not only helps a young person attend Georgia Tech while competing at the highest level of intercollegiate athletics, but also gives us an opportunity to direct more resources to our day-to-day development of our student-athletes and teams. Click HERE to make a donation to the A-T Fund.
  3. Visit GetACCN.com. The ACC Network debuts in less than four months and the very first live football game to ever be shown on ACCN will be our Aug. 29 season opener at defending national champion Clemson. ACCN will be the only way to watch the 2019 football at Clemson, therefore Tech fans are urged to visit GetACCN.com to learn how you can help ensure your ability to access the network when it debuts in August. The more people that can view ACCN, the more financial gain we will receive from the network, which we can turn around and invest into resources for the development and experience of our student-athletes.
Together We Swarm,

mail

Todd Stansbury