Athlete Depression

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Atlantic has good articles. Thanks.

As the article points out, there is a 1/3 rate of students being so depressed it is hard for them to function. I can see there being more pressure for student -athletes to excel at both athletics and academics. I had a hard enough time with academics. And we all who went to GT know many people who got very depressed. But http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...esnt-kill-makes-stronger-scientists-find.html

Animal02

Banned
Atlantic has good articles. Thanks.

As the article points out, there is a 1/3 rate of students being so depressed it is hard for them to function. I can see there being more pressure for student -athletes to excel at both athletics and academics. I had a hard enough time with academics. And we all who went to GT know many people who got very depressed. But http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...esnt-kill-makes-stronger-scientists-find.html

I never got depressed at Tech......just drank more. :eek:

Ramblinwreck1991

Georgia Tech Fan
Athletes have a lot on their plate but so do regular students who aren't on scholarship and have school loans and having to work part time jobs....

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Depression was a serious problem for Tech students when I was there. One year, at least one student committed suicide every quarter. The most horrifying was the student who jumped off the North Ave. bridge onto the interstate. However, none of the suicidal students were student athletes. One difference, I think, is the camaraderie of team and that support which helps the student athlete cope with additional stress.

Last edited:

Animal02

Banned
Depression was a serious problem for Tech students when I was there. One year, at least one student committed suicide every quarter. The most horrifying was the student who jumped off the North Ave. bridge onto the interstate. However, none of the suicidal students were student athletes. One difference, I think, is the camaraderie of team and that support which helps the student athlete cope with additional stress.

I think that your point "camaraderie of team and that support " should be stressed to all incoming freshman......getting involved in something.....whether it be a frat, activity group, ethnic group, etc gives you support and reduces the isolation that a school like Tech can create if all you do is study.