at Duke, Baseball

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I am no expert here, but I think FSU and Louisville are eliminated from the tournament. Furthermore, we are ahead of Pitt, VT and NC State right now. So it seems like we are comfortably in, with a possible ninth or tenth place seed.

Now just beat UVA and make this discussion irrelevant!
FSU, yes. Unfortunately, Louisville is only 3 games behind us with a tiebreaker due to the series we lost to them. So if we lose all 3 against UVA, and Louisville sweeps FSU, we end up tied and Louisville wins the tiebreaker. So they're not eliminated yet... May not be ahead of other teams, but will be ahead of us.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Great win today with the bullpen aces pulling it out. But the injuries had me worried. Hopefully Reid just has a bruised shin from banging it against the rail and will be good to go. Anybody see what happened to Compton? I left the TV for a minute and a couple innings later heard the announcer say he got injured but gave no explanation. Hopefully nothing to serious as he is really getting hot at the plate and makes our lineup a lot more dangerous.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Great win today with the bullpen aces pulling it out. But the injuries had me worried. Hopefully Reid just has a bruised shin from banging it against the rail and will be good to go. Anybody see what happened to Compton? I left the TV for a minute and a couple innings later heard the announcer say he got injured but gave no explanation. Hopefully nothing to serious as he is really getting hot at the plate and makes our lineup a lot more dangerous.
Chat someone mentioned he grabbed his hammy. Hopefully a precautionary removal from the lineup and not a re-injury.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not sure... but someone (chat or radio) mentioned him favoring the hamstring (again).

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure... but someone (chat or radio) mentioned him favoring the hamstring (again).
Damn I hope not. We really need him in the lineup. Guessing he will rest and rehab it until we play UVA on Thursday. I did see him standing along the rail later in the game and he didn't look like he was hurting. Like you said, hopefully it was just precautionary.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
FSU, yes. Unfortunately, Louisville is only 3 games behind us with a tiebreaker due to the series we lost to them. So if we lose all 3 against UVA, and Louisville sweeps FSU, we end up tied and Louisville wins the tiebreaker. So they're not eliminated yet... May not be ahead of other teams, but will be ahead of us.
NCSU and Pitt play each other and don't think both of them can catch us so I think we've clinched making the ACC Tournament. We are a half game ahead of VT now and they play Wake Forest this weekend. We have a pretty good shot at being the 9 seed (and being in Wake Forest pod)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
NCSU and Pitt play each other and don't think both of them can catch us so I think we've clinched making the ACC Tournament. We are a half game ahead of VT now and they play Wake Forest this weekend. We have a pretty good shot at being the 9 seed (and being in Wake Forest pod)
The pod is #1, #8, #12. We want 9th more than 8th. 9th will be with #4 & #5. Probably ideal.

ETA... #9 seems most likely right now. Otherwise #10

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
The pod is #1, #8, #12. We want 9th more than 8th. 9th will be with #4 & #5. Probably ideal.

ETA... #9 seems most likely right now. Otherwise #10

Played around with some scenarios and if the home team goes 2-1 in every ACC series this weekend, we end up in a pool with Virginia (#4) and Duke (#5).
  • If we win 1 or more against Virginia we are pretty much locked into #9 barring VT winning 1 more than us (@Wake) or we only take 1 this weekend and there is a sweep in the Pitt/NCS series.
  • Take 2 or 3 this weekend and we could pass ND and get into Wake's pool as the #8. We would pass BC for #8 with sweeps by us and ND.
  • Get swept by Virginia and we are #11 unless VT also gets swept. Falling to #11 would put us in a pool with #2, likely Clemson or Virginia in that scenario.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Played around with some scenarios and if the home team goes 2-1 in every ACC series this weekend, we end up in a pool with Virginia (#4) and Duke (#5).
  • If we win 1 or more against Virginia we are pretty much locked into #9 barring VT winning 1 more than us (@Wake) or we only take 1 this weekend and there is a sweep in the Pitt/NCS series.
  • Take 2 or 3 this weekend and we could pass ND and get into Wake's pool as the #8. We would pass BC for #8 with sweeps by us and ND.
  • Get swept by Virginia and we are #11 unless VT also gets swept. Falling to #11 would put us in a pool with #2, likely Clemson or Virginia in that scenario.
Good stuff!

One correction/clarification. The division champs are #1 and #2 seeds. Seeds #3-#12 are based on conference winning percentage.
Wake has locked up #1. Coastal champ will be #2. Best Clemson can do is #3.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
Good stuff!

One correction/clarification. The division champs are #1 and #2 seeds. Seeds #3-#12 are based on conference winning percentage.
Wake has locked up #1. Coastal champ will be #2. Best Clemson can do is #3.

Ah, forgot about the division champion seedings; been too long since we needed to take that into consideration. So yeah, getting swept by Virginia at home means we will need Wake to sweep VT to avoid landing in the #2 pool with Virginia (they swept Miami earlier so they have the tiebreaker over Miami).