at Duke, Baseball

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

Anecdotally... FSU legend Mike Martin retired. Followed by an assistant (on the staff) who'd never been a head coach before... & yes, it was his son. He is relieved of his duties & they hire probably the hottest name (Link Jarrett) in all of D1 last year. Not saying Jarrett won't have success. He might. But the fall for FSU is extreme as we sit here today.

This getting a quality coach who can sustain success or improve on it ain't easy, I guess.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Anecdotally... FSU legend Mike Martin retired. Followed by an assistant (on the staff) who'd never been a head coach before... & yes, it was his son. He is relieved of his duties & they hire probably the hottest name (Link Jarrett) in all of D1 last year. Not saying Jarrett won't have success. He might. But the fall for FSU is extreme as we sit here today.

This getting a quality coach who can sustain success or improve on it ain't easy, I guess.
On the flip side, Erik Bakich and the Clemson squad has continued to get better and better as the season has gone along. When we played them I made the statement that they were probably the worst team in the ACC, now I think I would rank them as #2 in the ACC. Quite a turnaround!

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Currently we sit in 10th position. Should we win tomorrow and VT lose to Clemson we would move into 9th. I really hate that teams don't make up the weather cancellations. Could mean the difference between making the league tournament or not. Also, noticed UVA has no Tuesday game this week before heading down to Atlanta to play us starting on Thursday while we make the trip to Macon. Not sure if that helps or hurts our cause. I guess it all depends how the game goes against the Bears but I doubt we use any pitchers that we might need over the weekend. This would seem like a good time to have one of those cancellations that other teams come up with as a loss to Mercer would kill our RPI I would think.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Currently we sit in 10th position. Should we win tomorrow and VT lose to Clemson we would move into 9th. I really hate that teams don't make up the weather cancellations. Could mean the difference between making the league tournament or not. Also, noticed UVA has no Tuesday game this week before heading down to Atlanta to play us starting on Thursday while we make the trip to Macon. Not sure if that helps or hurts our cause. I guess it all depends how the game goes against the Bears but I doubt we use any pitchers that we might need over the weekend. This would seem like a good time to have one of those cancellations that other teams come up with as a loss to Mercer would kill our RPI I would think.
The cancelation thing works both ways. Pitt had 2 home games canceled v UNC. No way of knowing whether they win or lose those those.

As it's working out... just need to finish with one more WIN than one of Lou, NC State, or Pitt.

The Loiusville thing is really bad. 2-12 their last 14 ACC games. Six losses in a row.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
The cancelation thing works both ways. Pitt had 2 home games canceled v UNC. No way of knowing whether they win or lose those those.

As it's working out... just need to finish with one more WIN than one of Lou, NC State, or Pitt.

The Loiusville thing is really bad. 2-12 their last 14 ACC games. Six losses in a row.
I'd include Virginia Tech in that list as well. As it stands, one more GT win may provide that, as VT has another game against red hot Clemson and finishes with 3 at Wake.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd include Virginia Tech in that list as well. As it stands, one more GT win may provide that, as VT has another game against red hot Clemson and finishes with 3 at Wake.
I agree 100%. While getting swept was super disappointing, we can still pass them in the standings.

I'll wait to see what happens today, but I wonder if 14-16 is good enough for the NCAAs if we make a little noise in the conference tourney.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I could be wrong, but with Pitt and NCSU playing each other next weekend, I think we're now in the ACC tournament. Even if we lose all 3 games vs UVA, which I am not predicting, if either Pitt or NCSU wins 2/3 we're still ahead of the team losing 2/3. If they have a game cancelled and split, we're behind Pitt but ahead of NC State.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I could be wrong, but with Pitt and NCSU playing each other next weekend, I think we're now in the ACC tournament. Even if we lose all 3 games vs UVA, which I am not predicting, if either Pitt or NCSU wins 2/3 we're still ahead of the team losing 2/3. If they have a game cancelled and split, we're behind Pitt but ahead of NC State.
I would correct you if you were wrong... or if I had the capacity to figure out if you were wrong.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Gotta be embarrassing for Duke. Didn’t score more than 6 runs in any game and lost the series. Hopefully UVA gets similarly embarrassed next weekend.
Disappointing for Duke, yes. Embarrassing, no. Despite the narrative, we have a good baseball team with a lot of potential. Just need to put it all together at the right time. May that time be now???

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
I am no expert here, but I think FSU and Louisville are eliminated from the tournament. Furthermore, we are ahead of Pitt, VT and NC State right now. So it seems like we are comfortably in, with a possible ninth or tenth place seed.

Now just beat UVA and make this discussion irrelevant!