Assistant coaches

Wow! Talking about the tail wagging the dog. Just goes to show what winning does to the overall economics of a University.
It begs the question then, why does the Hill not help more, if the business model is winning athletics attracts more tuition paying students? A partial answer for us is that we attract capacity already. And the Chinese, Pakistani, and Japanese students are not affected in their decision by what bowl game we win. Mom and dad in Mumbai want the education, caring little about football bragging rights with Uncle Gupta. Compare that to the cesspool, where Millie and Cletus with mortgage the mobile home in Paducah so that Barbara Jean can be a bulldog. We truly are in a culture clash with most of the programs that we compete against.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Baylor sent from being clo se to shutting down football to great success. They did not win b12 game for 4 years. Once th he boom hit they had more kids , higher tuition, new building program. Big booster who owned the Astros ponied up approx half the cost of new stadium and river walk bridge over brazos. Things were going great but they took their eye off the ball. Not just th he student athletes. Their hill has now entered a serious cash flow situation. Stadium payments, building payments, lawyers, settlements, and reduced season ti cost sales. * Waco is the pits). Son who teaches philosophy has had his teaching roles reduced .

Gt needs to win so our legacy doesn't look so dated. Plus we are a bargain in ATL compared to pro sports. When and the sidewalk fans will come.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Baylor sent from being clo se to shutting down football to great success. They did not win b12 game for 4 years. Once th he boom hit they had more kids , higher tuition, new building program. Big booster who owned the Astros ponied up approx half the cost of new stadium and river walk bridge over brazos. Things were going great but they took their eye off the ball. Not just th he student athletes. Their hill has now entered a serious cash flow situation. Stadium payments, building payments, lawyers, settlements, and reduced season ti cost sales. * Waco is the pits). Son who teaches philosophy has had his teaching roles reduced .

Gt needs to win so our legacy doesn't look so dated. Plus we are a bargain in ATL compared to pro sports. When and the sidewalk fans will come.
Yeah, I'm gonna say we need to stay FAR away from the Baylor/Briles program-building method. Those a-holes almost made Penn State look tame in comparison. The massive scale of the cover-ups they've been doing for years is just sickening. I don't know how any parents can send their daughters to that school and feel safe.
Edit: I just want to say I know you're not pushing for us to follow their method, and you even pointed to some of the problems they're running into. I just can't stand that school.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
It begs the question then, why does the Hill not help more, if the business model is winning athletics attracts more tuition paying students? A partial answer for us is that we attract capacity already. And the Chinese, Pakistani, and Japanese students are not affected in their decision by what bowl game we win. Mom and dad in Mumbai want the education, caring little about football bragging rights with Uncle Gupta. Compare that to the cesspool, where Millie and Cletus with mortgage the mobile home in Paducah so that Barbara Jean can be a bulldog. We truly are in a culture clash with most of the programs that we compete against.

I am fairly certain that ugag, ut, um, FSU, au, ua, vt, and a ton of others attract to capacity as well. And we need not give a damn about Chinese, Jap, pakastan students. They are welcome AFTER state of GA & American students.
Why does the Hill not help more? Stupidity, selfishness, arrogance and jealousy.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I'm gonna say we need to stay FAR away from the Baylor/Briles program-building method. Those a-holes almost made Penn State look tame in comparison. The massive scale of the cover-ups they've been doing for years is just sickening. I don't know how any parents can send their daughters to that school and feel safe.
Edit: I just want to say I know you're not pushing for us to follow their method, and you even pointed to some of the problems they're running into. I just can't stand that school.

I guess you know more than most folks.

In early 90's I knew many high school parents who felt he was a great man and a coach. During my oldest son's teams run towards tx 5a champ, we met parents of kids on brilles team. They loved him (He had won a number of st champs).

When he came to Baylor after building up u of h - he held a closed pep rally for incoming freshmen students. I saw the replay on swc tv. He told them this team will have a clean break w the pasto them. He gave out Baylor shirts, promised the kids he would let them run on to field and give them front row seats, etc. He did what he said. He was way more than a coach - handling the revolutionary offense. He prompted the program at speaking events all over state.
I and many could not believe the cluster that happened later with his players, Baylor admin. I still feel betrayed by the pres, ad, and Brilles.

After baylors failure , schools really got serious about campus safety. Gt is now settling a guy that was wrongly dismissed.

I think brilles and Baylor had no "method" and that's was the problem. It will take a trial to see what went down between brilles and hill . So far the hill is settling as we move along.

Last edited:

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I guess you know more than most folks.

In early 90's I knew many high school parents who felt he was a great man and a coach. During my oldest son's teams run towards tx 5a champ, we met parents of kids on brilles team. They loved him (He had won a number of st champs).

When he came to Baylor after building up u of h - he held a closed pep rally for incoming freshmen students. I saw the replay on swc tv. He told them this team will have a clean break w the pasto them. He gave out Baylor shirts, promised the kids he would let them run on to field and give them front row seats, etc. He did what he said. He was way more than a coach - handling the revolutionary offense. He prompted the program at speaking events all over state.
I and many could not believe the cluster that happened later with his players, Baylor admin. I still feel betrayed by the pres, ad, and Brilles.

After baylors failure , schools really got serious about campus safety. Gt is now settling a guy that was wrongly dismissed.

I think brilles and Baylor had no "method" and that's was the problem. It will take a trial to see what went down between brilles and hill . So far the hill is settling as we move along.

I have no idea how much of the cover ups came from Briles vs the administration, but he DEFINITELY knew about a whole lot of incidents and did nothing to stop it or seek justice. However great a man he once was, he allowed winning to override his sense of honor and morality.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea how much of the cover ups came from Briles vs the administration, but he DEFINITELY knew about a whole lot of incidents and did nothing to stop it or seek justice. However great a man he once was, he allowed winning to override his sense of honor and morality.

Agreed he screwed up because he may have thought he had others handling these issues . But he truly failed miserably to inspect what he deligated on a matter of great moral importance. He failed.

I don't know if it was brilles desire to win and who cares how that motivated internal lawyers.

The board of regents hopes they can convince judge it was mostly brilles and not institutional issues by the ad and prez (both fired)and certainly not the look ghe other way board of regents. The plantiffs att lawyers are after the endowment (billions).

That's all I have on this.