Ask a Gopher fan

GopherGuy

Georgia Tech Fan
Let me start off by saying, no trolling. Us Minnesotans know as little about Georgia Tech as most of you presumably know about us. We're stuck in this ridiculous Detroit toilet bowl together, and we both hate our rivals in red & black and that stupid "G" on the side of the helmet. At least we both sport gold and are facing a Power-5 team.

That being said, let's talk football. I think this is a good match-up of schools that are far better than our records reflect.

bmeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Let me start off by saying, no trolling. Us Minnesotans know as little about Georgia Tech as most of you presumably know about us. We're stuck in this ridiculous Detroit toilet bowl together, and we both hate our rivals in red & black and that stupid "G" on the side of the helmet. At least we both sport gold and are facing a Power-5 team.

That being said, let's talk football. I think this is a good match-up of schools that are far better than our records reflect.

The thing I’m looking forward to most in this game (aside from CPJs last send out) is watching Rashad Bateman. He’s from my small hometown of about 20k. How is his season going? I’m afraid I haven’t watched any Gopher football.

Towers

Georgia Tech Fan
Welcome to the board. As Coach Paul Johnson says, "It is what it is."

BTW, cut blocks are legal .... up to a point anyway.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Very surprising to me that GT and Minnesota have never played each other.

My question is how is PJ Fleck doing? Still have that magic and you are building or is the B10 a harder nut to crack than the MAC?

Also I've heard some good things about your LBs. Care to elaborate?

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

I think most on here would be comfortable with Canada annexing Minnesota if it got us out of the Quick Lane Bowl. Your thoughts?

GTFLETCH

Banned
Minnesota better get the defense ready... These Tech Men are playing a farewell game for a HOF coach and staff they love.... Ging to try and hang fifty on you all while running for 400 yards!!

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
What changed for Minnesota that their back of the season was significantly improved compared to the first half? I have many Maryland alums in my family and seeing them wax you early in the year was a pretty bad result but it seems y’all somewhat righted the ship

GopherGuy

Georgia Tech Fan
Nobody say anything! It could be PJ Fleck in disguise.
I can't stand Fleck and his stupid car salesman tactics, and don't get me started on the stupid "row the boat" oar on the helmets that looks like a Maxi-pad.

Welcome to the board. Playing in Detroit sucks, but I’m glad we’re playing a P5.

What would you say your strengths and weaknesses are on each side of the ball?
Agreed, GT got shafted, but at least you're not playing a directional school.

Hard to name strengths & weaknesses, as the team has been as bi-polar as the weather. The offense has been surprisingly good, and the defense has been stout against the run. The real issue is the injury bug. Our RB is 3rd string, for example, but still sitting at 900+ yards in 7(?) games. The passing game was ranked 100+ last season, but has been averaging mostly first down gains all season thusfar. The "D" was supposed to keep us in games, but was awful until a month ago when the DC was fired. Run game wise, we are tough. Against the pass we have been suspect, though healthy as of late. I'm not sure how we will handle your triple option, but with a month to prepare it could be interesting. Specials teams have been great, and we have the 4th(?) fewest penalties in the country. Could be a deciding factor. Again, it depends on which Minnesota team shows up. 52% of our roster are freshman (true/redshirt), including roughly 10-11 starters on both sides of the ball combined.

I had an old boss that was from Gopher land. Great guy. I bear you no ill will. That being said we shouldn't be playing in this bowl.
Detroit should not be hosting a bowl. It's a disrespect to any Power-5 team. You certainly have more of a gripe than us though.

If you can't tell we are pissed
We are too, though you have more reason.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
icecream.0.0.gif

Is this the biggest power move in your school's history?

I can't stand Fleck and his stupid car salesman tactics, and don't get me started on the stupid "row the boat" oar on the helmets that looks like a Maxi-pad.

Agreed, GT got shafted, but at least you're not playing a directional school.

Hard to name strengths & weaknesses, as the team has been as bi-polar as the weather. The offense has been surprisingly good, and the defense has been stout against the run. The real issue is the injury bug. Our RB is 3rd string, for example, but still sitting at 900+ yards in 7(?) games. The passing game was ranked 100+ last season, but has been averaging mostly first down gains all season thusfar. The "D" was supposed to keep us in games, but was awful until a month ago when the DC was fired. Run game wise, we are tough. Against the pass we have been suspect, though healthy as of late. I'm not sure how we will handle your triple option, but with a month to prepare it could be interesting. Specials teams have been great, and we have the 4th(?) fewest penalties in the country. Could be a deciding factor. Again, it depends on which Minnesota team shows up. 52% of our roster are freshman (true/redshirt), including roughly 10-11 starters on both sides of the ball combined.

Detroit should not be hosting a bowl. It's a disrespect to any Power-5 team. You certainly have more of a gripe than us though.

We are too, though you have more reason.
Frankly, I know nothing about your team or coach or even history, but playing a B10 school is a good thing. I'm glad we are all on board with the fact that a bowl game in Detroit the day after Christmas sucks for us all.