Article Says BEST CASE Scenario Is 5-7

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You just stated something which conflicts with what you said above. So I guess the issue is maybe you were inadvertently confusing/mixing a best case scenario with a likely prediction in your various comments.

No. I didn't. I have always said that 6-7 wins is best case IMO. I also said I can reasonably see how some people can conclude that 5 wins is best case. Just because I don't agree with them doesn't mean I am wrong or right. It just means I have a different opinion.

I don't disagree with most of this, i'm just tired of hearing the youth argument for why we can't win. We just brought in a caravan of transfers in various positions, many of which won't be here next year. What was the point of doing that if we couldn't win with them anyways? Would we not have been better off just recruiting guys for those positions and focusing on their development?

I also think the tough schedule is overplayed too much. We play a tough schedule nearly every year now. We can't use it as an excuse forever. Next year we drop ND but add UCF, FSU, and Ole Miss. I'm not sure that is any easier.
Not so sure we are that young 45 on the roster are either Juniors, Seniors, and Senior plus 1. Remember last year did not count toward eligibility.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Jerry Mays: 1985: 104 carries for 566 yards and 3 touchdowns. 9 catches for 95 yards and 1 touchdown. 5 kick returns for 134 yards and did not play the last 5 games, Broken hand. So 6 games played
J Gibbs: 89 carries for 460 yards and four touchdowns, 24 receptions for 303 yards and three touchdowns, and eight kickoff returns for 205. 9 games.
I will go with Mays but Gibbs has at least 2 more years to show.
Really? By your own statistics, Gibbs pretty much outplayed Mays. I loved Mays and think he was awesome. This is not a slight to him. But Gibbs's numbers are better to me. Gibbs only played in 6-1/2 COVID19-affected games.

Yards per game: Mays- 132.5; Gibbs - 138.4
All Purpose Yards: Mays - 795; Gibbs - 968.9
TDs: Mays 4; Gibbs 7
Yards/Carry: Mays 5.4; Gibbs 5.2
Yards/Reception: Mays 10.6; Gibbs 12.6
Yards/Return: Mays 26.8; Gibbs 25.7

Mays Opponents ranking in ()
NCST
UVA
Clemson
UNC
Western Carolina
Auburn (8)

Gibbs Opponents ranking in ()
UCF (14)
Syracuse
Louisville
Clemson (1)
Boston College
Notre Dame (4)
Duke

Last edited:
Really? By your own statistics, Gibbs pretty much outplayed Mays. I loved Mays and think he was awesome. This is not a slight to him. But Gibbs's numbers are better to me. Gibbs only played in 6-1/2 COVID19-affected games.

You did read that in 1985 Mays only played in 6 games as well. And when I read the stats, I would say they are about even. Also Mays was not the primary return guy in 1985. That was Gary Lee.

But instead of this tit for tat, this premise came up from saying our team this year is as good as the 1989 GT team of which I said....Nope....not even close. Coaching alone was a huge difference.

Last edited:

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Here's a fact for you: Every fact you talk about is history. Nothing that happened last year or the last 3 years has ANYTHING to do with this year. We ARE a much better team, with better skills and better experience than we had last year, or the year before, or the year before. We will be improved at almost every position on the field, save punter (and that's a pretty damn high bar).

So, stop being negative by focusing on what happened the first year of a total system change or a year that was turned topsy-turvy by a pandemic, and calling it being realistic. Focus on the positive aspects of our players getting better and starting to gel as a team. Now, when looking at "best-case scenarios", we get all the breaks, everything goes our way, and we have a realistic opportunity to win probably about 8-9 games. Is that likely to happen? Probably not, but we're talking "best-case." So, NO! That's not 4-5 wins. 4-5 wins might be someone's most likely scenario, not best-case.
Ok, I guess y’all can start yelling at me for being negative - but the last time our team walked off the field was after getting beaten by a very mediocre Pitt team, I was there and it was miserable. The first play of the game one of our upper classman DB’s (#2) and 2021 starter takes a middle school angle and they pick up 70 plus yards. I’ll be honest, I didn’t see much gelling going on. What I saw were some talented players who made the occasional exceptional play. Gibbs is talented. Sims is talented. Some defensive players showed some talent. But I haven’t seen any gelling for at least 4 seasons. We’ve been a team for 4 years who looks like the driver is learning to drive a stick shift.

I totally agree that yesterday has no bearing on tomorrow. However, in athletics the past does mean something for the future. I believe we are on the right path and I do believe every action taken by this staff and these players does have a bearing on the future. Ultimately it’s up to the players to make plays. If the OLine gives Sims time and the receivers run crisp speedy routes and the RB’s hit the holes with authority we’ll move the ball. If the DLine can get a push and the LB’s cover the right gaps and the DB’s are able to play tight coverage then we’ll get some stops. But it’s all on the players to get it done.

Deleted member 2897

No. I didn't. I have always said that 6-7 wins is best case IMO. I also said I can reasonably see how some people can conclude that 5 wins is best case. Just because I don't agree with them doesn't mean I am wrong or right. It just means I have a different opinion.

Today at 10am you gave a different number for your best case scenario, that included 5 wins as a best case.

Yesterday you also argued in support of a best case scenario that didn't have us even beating mediocre teams.

It is easy therefore to see why we are confused sometimes at what you are trying to really say.

Last edited by a moderator:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You did read that in 1985 Mays only played in 6 games as well. And when I read the stats, I would say they are about even. Also Mays was not the primary return guy in 1985. That was Gary Lee.
Did you read that in 2020 Gibbs only played in 6-1/2 games? Also, Gibbs shared the backfield with 3 other effective running backs.

I agree, the stats are close. But, I'd still take Gibbs over Mays. Again, not a slight to Mays. We're only talking about freshman year stats. If you really look at Gibbs being in 6-1/2 games instead of 7, the numbers become more impressive.

Did you read that in 2020 Gibbs only played in 6-1/2 games? Also, Gibbs shared the backfield with 3 other effective running backs.

I agree, the stats are close. But, I'd still take Gibbs over Mays. Again, not a slight to Mays. We're only talking about freshman year stats. If you really look at Gibbs being in 6-1/2 games instead of 7, the numbers become more impressive.
As did Mays with Collier, and King. Mays played 6

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Today at 10am you gave a different number for your best case scenario, that included 5 wins as a best case.

Yesterday you also argued in support of a best case scenario that didn't have us even beating mediocre teams.

It is easy therefore to see why we are confused sometimes at what you are trying to really say.

Exact quote:
We have answered you ad nauseum about why 5-7 is a realistic best case scenario.

I said it's a realistic best case scenario. I didn't say it was mine. I defended that assessment by saying that since we haven't beaten a .500 team in three years, it seemed fair for a writer to assume that we wouldn't beat any this year. As I have stated before, different people can have different opinions and both be realistic.

And to be fair, most people don't seem to be as confused about what I am saying as you do.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Just to jump back in, my comments had nothing to do with stats…it’s my view based on the eye test. I simply think Gibbs can do things on the field Jerry couldn’t

I get what you are saying. When I look at Gibbs, I certainly understand why he averages over 5 ypc. With Mays, somewtimes it was baffling that he did - he wasn't eye catching like Gibbs but he did have an amzing knack somehow to find holes, stay on his feet and just pick up yards. I might say that Gibbs might have more upside as a FR 9possibly) given his tools but Mays remains one of the 2 or 3 best backs that I have seen at GT in my nearly 5 decades of being a Tech fan. That's impressive considering all the good to great ones we have had over the years.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
I get what you are saying. When I look at Gibbs, I certainly understand why he averages over 5 ypc. With Mays, somewtimes it was baffling that he did - he wasn't eye catching like Gibbs but he did have an amzing knack somehow to find holes, stay on his feet and just pick up yards. I might say that Gibbs might have more upside as a FR 9possibly) given his tools but Mays remains one of the 2 or 3 best backs that I have seen at GT in my nearly 5 decades of being a Tech fan. That's impressive considering all the good to great ones we have had over the years.
When I think of Mays all I can think of is the Uga game 1989.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I agree. I’m not being negative about Mays, just feel Gibbs has the ability and tools to be one of our best ever. I loved Jerry and would put him in a group just below ELI in terms of his career.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Not so sure we are that young 45 on the roster are either Juniors, Seniors, and Senior plus 1. Remember last year did not count toward eligibility.
We have a lot of experience on defense. The real question is that a good or bad thing. Mostly they all played poorly last year. The defensive upper classmen will need to take a huge step forward this year if we really are to improve or they need to be beaten out by better younger players. No way to know until the season unfolds.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
We have a lot of experience on defense. The real question is that a good or bad thing. Mostly they all played poorly last year. The defensive upper classmen will need to take a huge step forward this year if we really are to improve or they need to be beaten out by better younger players. No way to know until the season unfolds.
It’s kind of like the Athletic stories we got preseason last year (I miss Tori!!!). We’re returning so much production and experience.
But is it good production and experience ?
We can slice this one up all day. We either win games and have a successful season and we all feel better we’re on the right track, or we lose almost all games and the general feel is we are heading in the wrong direction, or we “don’t measure in W-L” and this argument proceeds for another 12 months.

I have my feelings on which will happen but either way I’m watching and pulling for us. Hoping for the best.

NorthsideJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
When I think of Mays all I can think of is the Uga game 1989.
This X 100!! My last time at a game as a student. Also enjoyed Mike Mooney manhandling that Goldberg goober was the best. That walk back to my car parked on west campus passing all the ugag fans was second only to the walk to my car after my last lab/class of my graduating quarter knowing that I didn't have to take finals. Even as today I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, I will never forget those two days! And little Jerry Mays will always be part of that memory.