Article Says BEST CASE Scenario Is 5-7

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
I think this year could be eerily similar to 1997. Just like that season, I wouldn’t be surprised to see competitive losses to UNC, UVA, Notre Dame, and Georgia. Also like that year, I think we’ll pick up wins against Boston College and Duke. More importantly, I think we’ll see a young quarterback, and a relatively young team in general, trending in the right direction and building toward something even better the next year.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
A couple of things: I don't only focus on the negatives, I focus on facts. As of right now, a lot of the facts surrounding GT football aren't exactly rosy. That's ok as long as there is a plan in place to get better. I believe we have the right staff in place to make that happen. We have answered you ad nauseum about why 5-7 is a realistic best case scenario. You simply refuse to entertain any debate except your own opinion. People can be realistic and still be fans and supporters of the team. Not everyone is going to agree with you. That's ok.

Also, there was almost no one who predicted us to go winless last year. I have linked articles in the past that showed where most prognosticators predicted us to win 3-4 games last year. They were eerily accurate. You have a tendency to take any opinion about GT you don't like and make it out to be worse than it is. People did pick us to finish last in the ACC last year. They were wrong, considering who we beat and lost to, they weren't far wrong.

It comes down to this: We need to be realistic about where we are and how long it's going to take to get where we want to be. There is a reason everyone predicted us to struggle these last two years. Every college football expert in the land saw this coming. CGC has a lot of latitude from the national/regional press concerning this turnaround. Everyone, outside of some hard line GT fans, is willing to give him time to get his players in the system. As I have said before, this may be the year we take that next step. There is nothing to preclude that. It is far more likely, however, given the daunting schedule and the relative youth of our team, that we will struggle again this year in terms of wins. Where we should see major improvement is in how we are playing the game. I expect to see more sustained drives, less penalties, and continued development of our QB. I am hopeful that the D can get it together this year as well.
Here's a fact for you: Every fact you talk about is history. Nothing that happened last year or the last 3 years has ANYTHING to do with this year. We ARE a much better team, with better skills and better experience than we had last year, or the year before, or the year before. We will be improved at almost every position on the field, save punter (and that's a pretty damn high bar).

So, stop being negative by focusing on what happened the first year of a total system change or a year that was turned topsy-turvy by a pandemic, and calling it being realistic. Focus on the positive aspects of our players getting better and starting to gel as a team. Now, when looking at "best-case scenarios", we get all the breaks, everything goes our way, and we have a realistic opportunity to win probably about 8-9 games. Is that likely to happen? Probably not, but we're talking "best-case." So, NO! That's not 4-5 wins. 4-5 wins might be someone's most likely scenario, not best-case.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
But again, why is he wrong? I bet (and I truly haven’t looked) if you go back over the past 50 years there are very few teams that have gone from back to back 3 win seasons to a 6-7 win season. Statistics alone supports his argument.
1987 Tech 2-9
1988 Tech 3-8
1989 Tech 7-4

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Here's a fact for you: Every fact you talk about is history. Nothing that happened last year or the last 3 years has ANYTHING to do with this year. We ARE a much better team, with better skills and better experience than we had last year, or the year before, or the year before. We will be improved at almost every position on the field, save punter (and that's a pretty damn high bar).

So, stop being negative by focusing on what happened the first year of a total system change or a year that was turned topsy-turvy by a pandemic, and calling it being realistic. Focus on the positive aspects of our players getting better and starting to gel as a team. Now, when looking at "best-case scenarios", we get all the breaks, everything goes our way, and we have a realistic opportunity to win probably about 8-9 games. Is that likely to happen? Probably not, but we're talking "best-case." So, NO! That's not 4-5 wins. 4-5 wins might be someone's most likely scenario, not best-case.

Couple of point on the bolded statement. All facts are by definition "history." Nothing in the future being guaranteed means all future "facts" are really opinions. Second, the statement is simply not true. History drives the future. Can it be changed? Sure, but you don't escape the past either. Recruiting players suited for the previous offense is history, but it is affecting the team today. We are a young team. Historically speaking, young teams struggle to win games. Can we beat those odds? Sure. I've said so. Is it likely? Probably not. I agree we are a much better team. I've said as much. I just don't think it's going to necessarily translate into wins on the field. If you think best case scenario is 8-9 wins, then good for you. I personally think best case is 6 maybe 7. But just because I think that doesn't mean the people who think differently are wrong.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Couple of point on the bolded statement. All facts are by definition "history." Nothing in the future being guaranteed means all future "facts" are really opinions. Second, the statement is simply not true. History drives the future. Can it be changed? Sure, but you don't escape the past either. Recruiting players suited for the previous offense is history, but it is affecting the team today. We are a young team. Historically speaking, young teams struggle to win games. Can we beat those odds? Sure. I've said so. Is it likely? Probably not. I agree we are a much better team. I've said as much. I just don't think it's going to necessarily translate into wins on the field. If you think best case scenario is 8-9 wins, then good for you. I personally think best case is 6 maybe 7. But just because I think that doesn't mean the people who think differently are wrong.
6-7 wins is probably a more realistic "best case," but 8-9 wins could happen. As you pointed out, we went from 3-8 to 7-4, and if we had been invited to the Peach Bowl instead of the 6-5 dawgs, we probably would have won 8 games. Are we as good as that 3rd-year team...probably. Are we as well-coached?...probably not. So, 6-7 is more reasonable, but 8-9 could happen. I don't reasonably see a way for 10-12 wins to happen, but I would be thrilled to be wrong.

Deleted member 2897

Well I’m glad you’ve come around. I think all of what you said is fair. That’s all we’ve been asking for.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Well I’m glad you’ve come around. I think all of what you said is fair. That’s all we’ve been asking for.

I've not "come around." I've been saying this all year. You need to quit getting your underwear in a bunch when someone says something you disagree with. There are probably a lot more 4-5 win predictions coming from the press in the next few months.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think best case scenario is 8 wins but that takes an enormous amount of things to go right. I just don't see a way right now to beat Clemson, Notre Dame or UGA. We will also be a significant underdog against Miami and North Carolina. We should be the favor against Northern Illinois, Kennesaw St and Duke. So that would require us to beat either Miami or NC and win all 4 of the remaining tossup games (UVA, VA Tech, Pittsburgh, Boston College). If I was saying most probable, I would say 5 wins. The 3 wins where we are favorites and split the tossup games. To get better consistently, we need a more experienced team, continue to improve recruiting and hopefully improved coaching from our coordinators. The last piece is the one I question the most but we will see how they do with better talent for their systems.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
6-7 wins is probably a more realistic "best case," but 8-9 wins could happen. As you pointed out, we went from 3-8 to 7-4, and if we had been invited to the Peach Bowl instead of the 6-5 dawgs, we probably would have won 8 games. Are we as good as that 3rd-year team...probably. Are we as well-coached?...probably not. So, 6-7 is more reasonable, but 8-9 could happen. I don't reasonably see a way for 10-12 wins to happen, but I would be thrilled to be wrong.

To me, the biggest difference between our current team and the team leading into 1990 is the defense. I think we have more talent on offense but our D isn't near that 89-90 D right now.

Edit to add more talent in the skill positions on offense.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Defense has been a significant problem since the 2008 and 2009 seasons. We had extremely talented defensive linemen those 2 years with some getting drafted. That position has been a real struggle since. We have had strong individual contributors to the DL since then, but not the depth across the board we had in those 2 seasons. With Collins background as a DC, this is an area we really need to get fixed.

We are not as good as the 1989 team. The O-line was stout. The D Line was stout. We had 4 really good WRs and Jerry Mays was unstoppable. Also we had a much better coaching staff, or rather more experienced.

Defense has been a significant problem since the 2008 and 2009 seasons. We had extremely talented defensive linemen those 2 years with some getting drafted. That position has been a real struggle since. We have had strong individual contributors to the DL since then, but not the depth across the board we had in those 2 seasons. With Collins background as a DC, this is an area we really need to get fixed.
We have struggled on the D-line in all of my 52 years of going to games. We get a few good ones and some that develop but never enough. Why....because the best D-lineman aren't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed and thus can't get in Tech. D-lineman and LB has always been where we have issues. Thus if you run an offense that gives the other team 15-18 possessions....you better score more than 49 points a game.

Deleted member 2897

I've not "come around." I've been saying this all year. You need to quit getting your underwear in a bunch when someone says something you disagree with. There are probably a lot more 4-5 win predictions coming from the press in the next few months.

Nobody that I’ve seen argues against such predictions. I certainly don’t.

You just stated something which conflicts with what you said above. So I guess the issue is maybe you were inadvertently confusing/mixing a best case scenario with a likely prediction in your various comments.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
A couple of things: I don't only focus on the negatives, I focus on facts. As of right now, a lot of the facts surrounding GT football aren't exactly rosy. That's ok as long as there is a plan in place to get better. I believe we have the right staff in place to make that happen. We have answered you ad nauseum about why 5-7 is a realistic best case scenario. You simply refuse to entertain any debate except your own opinion. People can be realistic and still be fans and supporters of the team. Not everyone is going to agree with you. That's ok.

Also, there was almost no one who predicted us to go winless last year. I have linked articles in the past that showed where most prognosticators predicted us to win 3-4 games last year. They were eerily accurate. You have a tendency to take any opinion about GT you don't like and make it out to be worse than it is. People did pick us to finish last in the ACC last year. They were wrong, considering who we beat and lost to, they weren't far wrong.

It comes down to this: We need to be realistic about where we are and how long it's going to take to get where we want to be. There is a reason everyone predicted us to struggle these last two years. Every college football expert in the land saw this coming. CGC has a lot of latitude from the national/regional press concerning this turnaround. Everyone, outside of some hard line GT fans, is willing to give him time to get his players in the system. As I have said before, this may be the year we take that next step. There is nothing to preclude that. It is far more likely, however, given the daunting schedule and the relative youth of our team, that we will struggle again this year in terms of wins. Where we should see major improvement is in how we are playing the game. I expect to see more sustained drives, less penalties, and continued development of our QB. I am hopeful that the D can get it together this year as well.
I don't disagree with most of this, i'm just tired of hearing the youth argument for why we can't win. We just brought in a caravan of transfers in various positions, many of which won't be here next year. What was the point of doing that if we couldn't win with them anyways? Would we not have been better off just recruiting guys for those positions and focusing on their development?

I also think the tough schedule is overplayed too much. We play a tough schedule nearly every year now. We can't use it as an excuse forever. Next year we drop ND but add UCF, FSU, and Ole Miss. I'm not sure that is any easier.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
We are not as good as the 1989 team. The O-line was stout. The D Line was stout. We had 4 really good WRs and Jerry Mays was unstoppable. Also we had a much better coaching staff, or rather more experienced.
Some of that is simply looking at the 1989 team in hindsight. We had just as many questions going into that season as we do now. And as much as I loved Jerry Mays he was not as good as J Gibbs.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I hear what you're saying, but I'll reserve judgement of this Year 3 team until after the season. Then we can compare apples to apples...kind of.

Some of that is simply looking at the 1989 team in hindsight. We had just as many questions going into that season as we do now. And as much as I loved Jerry Mays he was not as good as J Gibbs.
Jerry Mays: 1985: 104 carries for 566 yards and 3 touchdowns. 9 catches for 95 yards and 1 touchdown. 5 kick returns for 134 yards and did not play the last 5 games, Broken hand. So 6 games played
J Gibbs: 89 carries for 460 yards and four touchdowns, 24 receptions for 303 yards and three touchdowns, and eight kickoff returns for 205. 9 games.
I will go with Mays but Gibbs has at least 2 more years to show.